Cast and berry's

When you change over to Berry's plated bullets from Hard cast lead for revolver calibers can you keep the same settings for your dies?

Or do you have to seat and crimp in seperate steps with some thing like the Lee FCD?

Last edited:
Seating die settings are a function of overall bullet lenght AND its profile.

IF the bullets are the same weight and shape, only slight changes will likely be required. Go from a JHP to a SWC or from a 200 to a 230 and all bets are off.

Make sure you CLEAN the seating die if you've loaded any significant quantity of cast bullets! You will find a ring of wax and lead accumulates very quickly, effectively seating the bullets deeper and deeper!

You should use a Lee FCD anyway; they are quite inexpensive and do a marvelous job of resizing the cartridge. They are particularly useful if you load lead bullets, which are a larger OD than jacketed.

I should have explained that I'm going from 200gr cast to 200gr berry's with the same profile FOR A 41mag.

The reason I was asking in the first place is I'm worried about the berry bulet not having a crimping die and having problems with crimping.

I'm loading 41mag and finding a 41mag Lee FCD is hard.

Here's the reason I was asking, I got this off of Berry's web Site.

Plated bullets are very difficult to cannelure. It requires an extra step after the plating and if not done carefully can ruin the plating. We only put a cannelure in two bullets (45-70 and 500 S&W). You shouldn't need a cannelure on our other bullets. If you feel the need, you can use a snug roll crimp to keep bullets in place. Just ensure you don't get the roll too tight such that it severs the plating and destroys the bullet.

Evidently this is the main corcern loading these.

Just ensure you don't get the roll too tight such that it severs the plating and destroys the bullet.

It's hard to see if the roll crimp breaks the plating, when you load them and I didn't want to bother to buy a fcd. But I got one directly from Lee.

Is the cannelure in the same position? You may need to adjust seating depth to compensate.

Berry's are smooth all he way down. No ring.

Here's the reason I was asking, I got this off of Berry's web Site.

Plated bullets are very difficult to cannelure. It requires an extra step after the plating and if not done carefully can ruin the plating. We only put a cannelure in two bullets (45-70 and 500 S&W). You shouldn't need a cannelure on our other bullets. If you feel the need, you can use a snug roll crimp to keep bullets in place. Just ensure you don't get the roll too tight such that it severs the plating and destroys the bullet.

Evidently this is the main corcern loading these.

Just ensure you don't get the roll too tight such that it severs the plating and destroys the bullet.

It's hard to see if the roll crimp breaks the plating, when you load them and I didn't want to bother to buy a fcd. But I got one directly from Lee.

Scriv has the answer. OAL is OAL. If you are switching bullet style, you may need to adjust. If your plated bullets tumble when fired, you probably have too much crimp.

There is no one answer to your question only some trial and error. I use Berry's double struck for 38spl and only change the seat die when I change to wad cutters. YMMV

It's also a good idea to pull a bullet or two to check the crimp. Too much crimp on a plated bullet and the case will cut through the plating, causing the "jacket" to strip off in the barrel. If that happens, the next round can ruin your day.

Thanks, I was wondering what would happen if I crimped it to hard. Espically since I don't think it would be to easy to see if you crimped it just a shade to much.

It's really no big deal. I did a test with Berry's, and crimped a bullet so tight that it bowed the case out. I pulled the bullet, and it didn't damage the plating very much. It just put a little cut into the plating, but not enough to get to the bullet core. I leave the crimp pretty close to the setting I use for lead, which by the way is only enough to remove the bell and squeeze the bullet enough so it is firmly locked into the case.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but the last time I tried to buy Barry's bullets I was told that they can't ship to Mass.. So I went elswhere..

Back
Top Bottom