Case Gauge Failures with 9mm Turkish Cases - ZQI Headstamp

Amputee Marksman

NES Member
Reloaded 1000 9mm of assorted range brass. Out of the 1000 I had approximately 8 fail to insert all the way into the case gauge. All 8 were cases stamped with the ZQI headstamp. (Turkish NATO ammo from what I can tell)

9mmZQI.jpg

I broke down all 8 and then ran them through again and they were OK. I then went through a bucket of assorted 9mm range brass and found maybe 30+ more of them. I set them aside for further analysis/investigation.

Press is a 650 with Dillon resize/decap die. Anyone else having any problems with these cases?

I've reloaded plenty of the ZQI (MKE) cases without issue. I don't shoot a Niner, but the fella I reload for has bought this ammo at Wal-Mart (I assume) and I've reloaded a bunch of it for him. I haven't seen him have issues with any of the reloads (generally topped with X-Treme 147g). I'm not using Dillon gear, but rather a SS press with Lee dies.

No problems with them at all. I've used it for 9mm and 5.56, both are very consistent. I discarded the Dillon resizing die as well so can't comment on that but mine go through a 650.

I have an RCBS resizing die that I can pop in with minimal effort. I could also sort my brass and pick them out to be resized on my Rockchucker and then thrown in the bucket with the rest of the brass.

The cause of the problem might be the pistol that fired the brass before you picked it up, not the brass itself

The cause of the problem might be the pistol that fired the brass before you picked it up, not the brass itself

Since all of the problems occurred during during this session it is a somewhat safe assumption that all of the brass was collected at the same time. I looked at the primers and cases I picked out when I sorted through the brass and while they are not all from the same gun I would say at least 80% could be from the same gun as they have a rectangular shape striker hit as opposed to round. I will spend a little more time inspecting the cases I pulled out when I sorted the brass.

Rectangular striker simply means Glock, not necessarily the same gun but deformed brass is a common byproduct of Glock's unsupported chamber.

Is there a noticeable bulge on the casewall? I ask because I've had issues with CBC/Magtech brass causing a bulge due the casewalls being thicker. This of course wouldn't allow my gun to go into battery. Not sure if the ZQI brass is similar?

For 9x19, get a Lee 9mm Mak FCD and bulge-buster kit and run all cases through. This will eliminate bulges and that raised ridge that sometimes forms when a sizing die partially removes a bulge.

I put a Lee FCD on and it works great. Try to resize a few of those cases and see if they pass. A much of cases that won't can still be loaded and run through the FCD and pass the chamber check.

For 9x19, get a Lee 9mm Mak FCD and bulge-buster kit and run all cases through. This will eliminate bulges and that raised ridge that sometimes forms when a sizing die partially removes a bulge.

I still end up with 2-3 cases every 5,000 rounds that are too far gone to be fixed but I agree that it does make a positive difference.

I put a Lee FCD on and it works great. Try to resize a few of those cases and see if they pass. A much of cases that won't can still be loaded and run through the FCD and pass the chamber check.

To the best of my knowledge the Lee FCD does not cure problems at the base of the case as it does not resize the round at that point. IMO all the FCD die does is remove the bulge caused by seating the bullet. This is a cosmetic solution which can actually result in accuracy problems with lead bullets.

A very real problem with range brass is caused by high pressure loads fired through barrels with large chambers (Glock). Resizing with conventional dies often leaves a bulge at the base of the case which can interfere with chambering. I have found that Lee "Undersized Dies" can fully resize such cases without leaving a bulge. I have also found that these Lee dies work great with once fired brass, but not with brass that has been abused more than once. I have been using Lee Undersized dies for many years with great success. I gave up on the FCD a long time ago.

I found that a number of rounds that stuck due to a swelled base were fixed by the fcd. It resizes down to about .1 inch. I'm very pleased with what it does.

Before I even opened the picture I knew it was zq1. That brass sucks. I throw it in the scrap pile. Using that brass is the reloading equivalent punching yourself in the nuts, smashing your thumb with a hammer, then dropping the hammer on your toes.

Before I even opened the picture I knew it was zq1. That brass sucks. I throw it in the scrap pile. Using that brass is the reloading equivalent punching yourself in the nuts, smashing your thumb with a hammer, then dropping the hammer on your toes.

Completely 100% disagree based on personal experience having not a single problem with 9mm and it is also great for 5.56 precision reloads.

Completely 100% disagree based on personal experience having not a single problem with 9mm and it is also great for 5.56 precision reloads.

After reading dave's second post, maybe the brass I had trouble with was a specific gun, combined with that brass, combined with my size die? I picked it all up at MWT practice, so it was either a glock or M+P. It is probaly best to keep them, and see if I can figure out why they dont work in my setup.

I found that a number of rounds that stuck due to a swelled base were fixed by the fcd. It resizes down to about .1 inch. I'm very pleased with what it does.

Same here, I am very familiar with the square strike on primer that is indicative of a glock pistol fired case. I have found the Lee FCD does "resize" down to the base of the cartridge and the cartridges pass a case gauge check.

Back
Top Bottom