Carrying, but forgot to carry LTC

Can you order a duplicate LTC to leave in your vehicles, in the event you are stopped and have left your wallet home?

I have duplicate drivers licenses, I carry two in my wallet and have a copy in all 3 of my vehicles. The state has never questioned why I ordered so many duplicates, but I've also been pulled over and the officer has watched my retrieve my license and asked why I carry duplicates and asked to see all of them. I was stopped years ago, reached for my wallet and realized I put my wallet in my TORN pocket, my wallet never made it outside of my house & the officer who pulled me over made my life miserable for about 30 minutes, ever since then I've had duplicates in every vehicle I own.

Just like you do with your ATM card right

my response was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. However the pin is useless. The license has your photo on the front. What good does the pin do?

Seriously. Whats its purpose? You are standing in a gun store and the clerk can see your photo. Why is a pin necessary?

I realize this is a MA forum, but the CT State police can pull up your pistol permit info on their MDTs. Including the photo on your permit. The CT DPS makes this web app available to towns at no charge if they have MDTs that can support it.

Does the MSP have a similar ability? What about locals?
Yes to both. I was also told, and I do believe it might have been CT, that when they do run your drivers license, and you do have a LTC, it's the first thing that pops up on screen in big red letters to let the officer know you could be carrying.

The cops I've asked in MA have indicated that they can find out if you have an LTC, but it doesn't automatically come up when they run your driver's license.

my response was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. However the pin is useless. The license has your photo on the front. What good does the pin do?

Seriously. Whats its purpose? You are standing in a gun store and the clerk can see your photo. Why is a pin necessary?

I'm still hoping for a logical answer to this question. If the license has your photo on it, and since you buy guns in person, why would you need a pin? It seems to serve no purpose other than to create one more thing that can go wrong.

Simple. A pin or fingerprint is definite. A photo is a judgement call.

I'm still hoping for a logical answer to this question. If the license has your photo on it, and since you buy guns in person, why would you need a pin? It seems to serve no purpose other than to create one more thing that can go wrong.

The reason you may care about the PIN is because if you have trouble with the fingerprint reader when you try to purchase a gun you can enter the PIN and the state registration will go ahead. If the scanner really won't read your fingerprint, and this has happened to me a couple of times, no PIN, no gun.

that is a great reason to know your PIN. But it still doesn't explain why it was created in the first place.

As of last check, the state has not distributed fingerprint reader drivers compatible with their system for any post-XP os, so the choices will be work with an endlifed OS, hack a driver config, or use a PIN.... unless, of course, the state does an update and distributes more modern software.

In my cell phone, I carry a photo of the front and back of my LTC and all my important forms of identification just in case.
It prolly won't make a difference if you get pinched by a stickler, but if you get someone who understands, it's something.

add'l thought: If I could only carry one: I would rather have my gun than my wallet....unless the wallet has a condom, then its a coin flip.
Don't loose that phone!

As of last check, the state has not distributed fingerprint reader drivers compatible with their system for any post-XP os, so the choices will be work with an endlifed OS, hack a driver config, or use a PIN.... unless, of course, the state does an update and distributes more modern software.

I'm sure that the State will be able to do that for a small increase in the license fee. After all, it's an option to have an LTC, so it's not a "tax."

OK. But WHY does it exist? It doesn't enhance security. How does knowing your pin add anything to holding the LTC in your hand and confirming that the fact on the LTC is the face standing in front of you. It doesn't add anything but complexity.

Back
Top Bottom