Carbines. Just Carbines.

My Krag-Jorgensen 1899 Carbine and Colt 1901 New Army & Navy from the Philippine war:

20130408000410489.jpg

that krag chromed, or just finish wear with flash?

either way nice pieces

Thanks, and its the later; most of the finish is gone but it has not been refinished. The way the flash hits the door in that picture it looks chromed though. It's all original with unsporterized stock, 1901 carbine rear sight, correct front sight and uncut 22" barrel.

Last edited:
Time to show a descendent of the Russian SKS-45 that saw some action. Following the expulsion of the French from Indochina in 1954, and Ho Chi MInh's inability to lock up control of both the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North) and the State of Vietnam (south), the Second Indochina War broke out in 1959. Minh's connections with Communist China secured a supply of arms, and among those weapons was the Russian influenced Chinese Type-56 SKS. Then from 1962 through 1965, North Vietnam produced (or procured) their own copy of the Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova, the Type-1 NVA.

N_viet_SKS_014.JPG

The Type-1 is most easily recognized by its serial number and factory arsenal stamp. The first two numbers of the serial represent the year of manufacture, and the Arsenal stamp is a star with the number 1 inside. Serial number records of those found today in the US would suggest that production was extremely limited, and that approximately 13,000 units were manufactured over four years. Some theories would suggest that the Type-1 was manufactured in China. And honestly, I cannot refute that claim, as I have studied each component of the gun against early 1960's Chinese guns, and can find no differences in physical appearance or manufacturing tooling process. Mine is a 1964.

N_viet_SKS_017.JPG

All parts are stamped matching, except the gas piston which is electropenciled. The stock is similar to early Chinese, and appears to be birch or similar hardwood. The rear swivel is a side mount, and the entire serial number is stamped close to the rear swivel. The sling is of North Korean AK-47 style construction.

N_viet_SKS_011.JPG

N_viet_SKS_019.JPG

N_viet_SKS_020.JPG

The purchase of this gun was years in the making. It's the type of firearm that one must usually know who has it, and keep in touch with the owner, to know when and how much will be needed to secure the purchase. Very few ever show up in the wild. I was fortunate that the former owner found a papered specimen, and was willing to part this fine example of the Type-1. Hope you all enjoy, and thanks for looking.

N_viet_SKS_014.JPG

N_viet_SKS_015.JPG

Here's my '58 Romanian SKS with the leather sling, oiler, and detachable grenade launcher.

romy_access_001.JPG

romy_access_002.JPG

romy_access_004.JPG

This rare 22mm launcher attachment does not show up very often at all. In research, I found out that they came in a shipment of Romanian SKS's with accessories back in the early 2000's. Only a few dozen made it to the U.S. None have surfaced since.

Here are some pics showing the cut-out for the cleaning rod, the cam lock attachment, the visible stampings, and the ladder for 25, 50, 75, and 100 meter (or is it 'metres' ?) launching sight. And while I was waiting for the launcher to ship, an original sling and oiler became available, so I took the opportunity to deck out one of my Romanians with full-on accessories.

Romanian_launcher_004.jpg

Romanian_launcher_005.jpg

Romanian_launcher_006.jpg

Romanian_launcher_007.jpg

Romanian_launcher_009.jpg

Romanian_launcher_010.jpg

Romanian_launcher_012.jpg

Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

Russian M44 Yugo

Russian M44 that was issued to Yugoslavia

Attachments

• Yugom445723hg.jpg