• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can't make up my mind & it makes my head spin.. there's no cure to my addiction!!

You know, I used to collect percussion & flintlocks, well, several months ago I started to collect milsurps & so far I have Finn M39 & 4 1888 commission rifles with several barreled actions of same to spare.. I wanted to add more pieces to my collection such as Modelo 1891, Chileano 1895, Turkish 1893, Vetterli & Various Swiss rifles, ok and a Krag 1898 if I can ever find one in my budget & add an Enfiend .303 MKI & I'm sure there are more too :)

Anyway, I hit the auction sites & look around & I want almost all of them, but can't buy em all & have to pick just one.. yep.. only one.. & I can't make up my mind, lol....

I also thought of maybe another M39.. I love them.. and also thought about another Gew 88, but already have 4 & more to make another...so..

Help me pick..

Here's what I'm looking at right now..
Russian M91 dated 1898 $250
Italian Vetterli dated 1894 $185
Argentine 1891 Carbine Loewe, Berlin $195
Finn M39 1942 Sako Wartime stock $180
Turk 1893 but with 1903 stock & mag cutoff modified for $230

My wife's sort of P/Oed at me for wanting to buy another, but I tell her it's an investment, blah blah blah is what she hears... anyway, on the idea of "As an investment", which of these would become more scarce later, & also what do you see becoming more valuable later.. I see finn M39 everywhere.. some don't look they're moving though prices seem to have gone up.. I have one of these & often think I'd like something different in my collection, but then think of how much I enjoy & like this model & would of course love to have more of them, lol....

I'm leaning towards the russian M91 & the argentine M91 as these I don't see often, particularly the Mosin with the pre 1899 date...

Anyway, what do the more knowledgeable & experience folks here suggest..

I'd go with the Argentine 1891. Does it have a crest?
The Turk Mauser is a bit high in price, I have one coming in soon that I got for $175 and even that was a bit steep to me.
Finn M91s aren't rare but actual Russian ones with no Finn marks are.

I'd go with the Argentine 1891. Does it have a crest?
The Turk Mauser is a bit high in price, I have one coming in soon that I got for $175 and even that was a bit steep to me.
Finn M91s aren't rare but actual Russian ones with no Finn marks are.

I just got email back from seller.. the crest is all there & it's all matching numbers but he says the buttplate has alot of pitting & that reciever & barrel also have pitting & looks to have been re-blued & the stock is black from cosmoline, but no dings/cracks... (The price seems good to me considering other Arg M91 I see on auction are higher & I want Loewe manufactured which is more difficult to find than the DWM ones I think.)

I thought the 1893 turk was priced high too.. I found another for $180 also with 1903 stock & cutoff with no slide but has bayo & sling.. mismatch ASFA 1939.

I could just wait til something nicer/cheaper comes along, but holding myself back from buying is difficult [smile]

oooohhh... soooo many guns & so little cash....

I want all of them, but I emailed back seller to take the Argentine.
I can't resist something all matching.

Pics don't show too clear, but here's couple pics he sent me.. I should have it by beginning of next week....

6bdgdoy.jpg

4mb8ffm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom