cant find any turkeys

I almost ran two over with my motorcycle as I headed out for Hopkinton for the marathon yesterday. Good sized Toms too. (gobble)

Where was that exactly, I want to go check on them and make sure they're ok?[laugh] PM coordinants please.[smile] I have some free time Monday morning.......[wink]

Come and get some of the 20-30 that cruise through my yard every morning, and back every evening, like clockwork. Drives my dog bat-shit. They hang out like they own the place.

Every day I have to shoo them out of the way so I don't run over them. I live on a dirt road, on a pond, with a state forest that borders the area. Needless to say there are houses on my road and the roads around me. There are days it get's tempting, but I really don't want to clean them and then need to cook them. The Toms are in collor and doing their courting dance like a bunch of fools. Something like us when we went on our first date. Im not a turkey hunter, but I would spend time in an area where you see them from your vechicle. The field you saw them in, I would ask the owner if you could hunt on his property. I agree with the writer below, I tend to see the turkeys in the early morning and around supper time. I truly wish you the best of luck. It's always easier to write then putting on the booths and getting out there. Again, the best of luck.

I saw a few hens hanging out on the side of a stretch of highway I drive every day to work. I know the perfect place to park so I think I'll have to get up wicked friggin early before work on Monday and set up.

Great pictures: thanks
We get plenty of them in the back yard in Sandisfield...that and bears and a porcupine who comes to the back door every evening for some food.
turkeys.jpg

bears-6.jpg

bears-1.jpg

bears-3.jpg

bears-5.jpg

That bear with the white chest blaze looks like my dog. Consequently, want someone to come by and take care of the bear issue? ;)

I'll just throw this out there, if anyone is looking to hunt midweek (seriously, wednesdays.) drop me a note, I'd dig a partner. So at least that way when someone shoots me there will be someone there to take a picture of me to send to my mom. :D

Mattitude,

Bears coming to the back door looking for food is not a good thing (but you probably already know that).

I caught 'Fatal Attractions' on cable about an elderly woman who was feeding bears in her back yard. When she got sick and had to stop, they kept coming and eventually dragged her off her back deck and killed her.

I've been seeing them like clock work at the same spots around where i live. Last year was my 1st time out turkey hunting and i bagged a gobbler 20 min before the clock struck noon. I'll be going out every day next week. If anyone is in my area (Taunton) that would like to come turkey hunting drop me a PM. I'll be going out on monday with my buddy hopefully i can call one in for him.

I also have the green safety sticker if anyone needs one for their shotgun.

ps: Mattitude if ya want I can come on by in sept and have at it with them bears [smile], i've been going bear hunting in deerfield area the last 3-4 years and came back empty handed every time[crying]

The bears rarely make public appearances like that around the house and these 2 were cubs...mama wasn't too far away just off to the side. They are extremely quiet. We had one on the front porch and didn't know it until it walked passed the screen door. We don't feed the bears. I would hate to see them mad when there is no food to be handed out, besides they can handle things themselves. There is another huge bear in the area again. About 3-4 years ago there was a black bear that killed a neighbor's horse and now there seems to be another one that moved in. We got 26 acres in Sandisfield and it hasn't been hunted in years. A lot of the land around there is posted so I don't think there is much pressure at all. We've seen a bunch of turkeys, partridge, squirrels and a few bears...but not a single deer. When my grandmother was alive she had a garden that took up 3/4 of the back yard and the deer would be always raiding it.

Don't forget (I almost did) that spring turkey hunting goes from today for four weeks, from 1/2 hour BEFORE sunrise, until NOON. No afternoon/evening hunting allowed.

& no, I didn't see any this morning either... One hen, but it was after 12, and on a private field posted no hunting.

I played guide for my wife's first turkey hunt this morning. Worked a group of 4 toms in 30 yards, she shot over the top of him. Grrrrrrrr. Oh well, she got a good lesson on turkey calling, patience, decoy set up, and seeing birds.

I'm going to wait a week or so before going out, don't know where else to go other than Myles Standish, and I don't want turkey load in my ass. Anyone have any suggestions on whether early morning is better, or closer to noon?

I'm going to wait a week or so before going out, don't know where else to go other than Myles Standish, and I don't want turkey load in my ass. Anyone have any suggestions on whether early morning is better, or closer to noon?

That totally depends on the place and the group of birds, pressure etc... . Thats where the scouting comes in. Where do you live?

Here's another question too. Is it legal to hop a fence on the side of a highway to scout a large area of woods that I'm pretty sure is public land? This is assuming I can actually get over the fence without cutting myself to pieces or breaking my neck. Then again how would I safely transfer my shotgun over the fence? On second thought maybe it's not such a good idea. I think I saw an opening in the fence I'm thinking about but it would make for a lot of walking back to the area I want to check out.

My feeling is that there is probably a fence there for a reason. So unless you know for a fact it is state owned land and is open to hunting, I wouldn't do it. I would look for an alternate way to access it, rather than scaling fences.

That totally depends on the place and the group of birds, pressure etc... . Thats where the scouting comes in. Where do you live?

Somerville. Not a lot of huntable land in my vicinity. Which is why I'm going to go Myles Standish. Unfortunately though, I didn't get a chance to do any on the ground scouting, so it looks like I'll need to sit tight for fall.

On my way to work this morning there were three in a field, maybe 50 yards from the road. One was a hen, and two giant toms strutting their stuff trying to impress the young lady. I've been seeing more and more of them.

I tried Harold Parker on opening day. Wet and rainy, couldnt find a great spot due to undergrowth. Got in before dark and didnt hear a single gobble, cluck...or gunshots the entire morning.

Has anyone ever tried Georgetown/rowley state park? I used to see tons of birds in ipswich...

I'll be trying in NH, too. I have relatives in Hebron, Nh that say they are on their lawn every morning and they have enough land :)

This is my first season. I don't have high expectations but I'd like to at least hear a gobble :)

I was out yesterday and hit 6 or 8 spots that usually hold turkeys. Couldn't buy a gobble if my life depended on it. Thats just the way it goes sometimes. Today would be a beautiful day to hunt but I don't unt turkeys on saturday.

Bob

Out this morning for my first real hunt, four hours of calling starting at sunrise, the highlight of my day was a hen that came clucking to see what I was up to, it was great to hear her to really help with my calls. No doubt she pegged me as she was around for all of 45 seconds....Hope to get back out again this season with better luck!

I was out last Saturday morning in the woods near my house. Nada. I've got a spot picked out for next Saturday that is near where toms have been spotted.

I was out every day last week, and again this morning. Had one gobbler walk by my decoys last week, but I was 65 yards away, checking on the field behind the hedgerow I was hiding in, only to come back to my spot and see him disappear into the woods again.

There's been a freaking noisy SOB turkey in my neighborhood. Every morning at 5:00 to 5:15 the obnoxious bastard starts gobbling loudly. That gets my dog barking and my amazon parrot squawking.

You want an address??? AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Back
Top Bottom