• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cant find any turkeys

OK... reminds me of a story from years ago.

My son was likely six or seven at the time. He had left his baseball glove out in the backyard. We look out there and there's a turkey pecking at the glove.

Man was my son PISSED! He runs off and gets how bow and arrow, 'cause he's gonna defend his stuff.

I had to gently explain to him that the suction cups on the ends of the arrows probably would cause some difficulties...

:)

OK... reminds me of a story from years ago.

My son was likely six or seven at the time. He had left his baseball glove out in the backyard. We look out there and there's a turkey pecking at the glove.

Man was my son PISSED! He runs off and gets how bow and arrow, 'cause he's gonna defend his stuff.

I had to gently explain to him that the suction cups on the ends of the arrows probably would cause some difficulties...

:)

Thats too funny. Thanks for sharing that story.

Bob

can't find a turkey?

check the Stop and Shop parking lot in Concord MA. Have to shoo em out of your way to get in the car sometimes [laugh]

Does anyone know of a link to the DFW where they show success rates or harvest numbers by region?

ETA - NVM, found it, dismal counts for Middlesex and Essex comp. to Worcester.

Last edited:
If you cant find a turkey its time to quit hunting. Friggin things are everywhere!!!

I see them everywhere except the places I can shoot them. I'm starting to think I'd be better off just driving by a group of them and opening the car door on one at speed. Either that, or I'm going to keep a machete in the car and do a mounted cavalry style charge on the next group I see in the middle of the street.

My neighbor got a real nice one the other day. Said there were a lot, but most were too close to houses and the road for shotgun. Maybe archery.

Spied a tom and jake fighting over a hen on the grass in the middle of the exit area while heading north on 95 at 2.

Had two boxes of blackcloud, just for them, now to just find them somewhere I can take a shot.

What are people using for turkey in a 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch? Number 4 shot sound about right? Just found out I need a separate tag for turkey (first time attempting turkey hunting), so it might have to happen mid-week next week. Season is open until the 21st, right?

Last edited:
I just picked up black cloud in #4, I think it's 3" as well. All steel. Has whirring cutting blades and I've heard whispers that it seeks out turkeys.

What are people using for turkey in a 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch? Number 4 shot sound about right? Just found out I need a separate tag for turkey (first time attempting turkey hunting), so it might have to happen mid-week next week. Season is open until the 21st, right?

RI goes until the 28th, and I'm using 3" #4 (12 gauge).

I set up at another spot I had picked out last Saturday. I've seen 'em hanging around the roads near this area of woods. I found a nice clearing in the middle of the woods and set up 3 decoys near a lonely Oak. Started with the crow and owl calls around sun-up. No response. I tried cutting, clucking and purring but still no-show. Damnit. It looked like such a promising spot. I spotted several tree stands in the same area.
I may have to step it up a notch and start getting into the woods before work. Saturdays are the only days I can stay out there as long as noon. I guess I could take a day off but of course work is getting busy now. Why can't the season start two weeks earlier?!!
I'm using Federal 3" #5's. Well, "using" isn't really accurate. I'm loading, then unloading Federal 3" #5's.

Had to hit the brakes this morning to avoid hitting two good sized hens on the way to work.

I've seen more in metrowest this year than I've ever seen. They seem to be everywhere.

turkey.jpg

Been out twice with no luck (still had two great days) - today my wife sends me this shot from her iphone of a 'friend" coming up my driveway in MetroWest... who is hunting who? [grin]

So got word from on high, both bosses have okayed me taking Weds. morning and Thurs. morning to hunt, and I'll go sat. morning for the season close if I don't have anything to bring home.

Any suggestions for rainy weather hunting?

Also, I guess I should have thought about this... how do shotguns perform in rain?

"I've seen more in metrowest this year than I've ever seen. They seem to be everywhere. "

Yeah - everywhere but where I've been hunting. Actually I can't say that... Since the season opened, I've been out at 5am all but maybe five legal hunting days, including the last couple in the cold and rain.

I've seen and/or heard lots of birds while: sitting back against trees or stone walls; while still hunting; while sitting in my Ameristep Doghouse blind; while driving. I've gone to several different conservation areas and a WMA, and walked countless miles in & around my hometown.

They've all been either: hens; too far away; close enough but I got busted (twice); close enough but blocked by trees (no shot).

I've taken one shot, and missed (high).

We're down to the home stretch of the season & I'm still trying hard. I think turkeys are harder to kill than deer.

Last edited:
So spent the morning in Harold Parker - no turkey, got into deer though. If only it was season I'd have venison hanging right now.

Got rained on, wasn't too bad, but really made it hard to hear, and kept it all grey. Damn glass call got gummed up.

Didn't see any other cars parked, didn't hear anything out there, no turkeys, no hunters. *shrug* Is it just too late?

I seen one of them turkeys this morning. It was out in a corn field all alone. Strange lookin turkey, this one was. Gray and black with a whitish tan belly. I ain't never heard no turkey gobble before, but this one made sounds like a car horn when I went runnin after it. I just about had my hands on him when he took off. He landed in a pond across the way but the neighbors don't like for me to go in there no more. I'll see if I can't set a trap and get him next time.

facepalm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom