• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canoe recommendations ?

Greetings all,

I am looking to buy a quality canoe for fishing with the family.

Thoughts on brands, what to watch out for, etc ?

Thanks !
-R

Another vote for Old Town.

Also, you don’t need to buy new. Keep an eye on Craigslist. Lots of folks buy canoes and rarely use them. It’s fairly easy to judge if it’s in good condition, how it has been stored, etc. Old Town Discoveries often can be had in the $500-$700 range versus twice that new.

Here's a link from Paddling.com. Its a great site with lots of good info. Best Canoes of 2022

Whatever you go with look on FB Marketplace/Craigslist/etc for used. Lots of folks bought into new hobbies at the start of Rona and now all are collecting duct. I never buy new if I can avoid it. Have fun shopping and happy paddling.

Forgot...If you are in MA look here: New & Used Canoes

Lakes or small rivers? It makes a big difference.
This.

Also seriously think about how many people are going to use it.

I have an Old Town Discovery 169 or something like that. It ended up being too big, as I took my truck racks off. I let my buddy use it at his lake house now.

Now I fish out of my Kayak as its way easier to just throw in the back of the truck and transport.

There are times I'd like a small canoe for early season bowhunting to access some spots instead of walking in with a load of gear.

This.

Also seriously think about how many people are going to use it.

I have an Old Town Discovery 169 or something like that. It ended up being too big, as I took my truck racks off. I let my buddy use it at his lake house now.

Now I fish out of my Kayak as its way easier to just throw in the back of the truck and transport.

There are times I'd like a small canoe for early season bowhunting to access some spots instead of walking in with a load of gear.
offers open to you as well, I have a couple and they don't get used as often as they once did.

You did the boundary waters? Holy crap that's a bucket list trip for me.
Yup, 10-day trip with my dad, sister, and then brother-in-law. Waking up to the sound of loons calling is something.

That was long ago, when I was a young man. It’s definitely worth doing while you are young and strong.

Buy used and buy as inexpensively as possible. Unless you live at the water's edge, I can just about assure you that you won't be using it as much as you think.

Buy good zip up life jackets and if you buy an aluminum canoe, get some indoor outdoor (fake grass type) carpet scraps to put in the bottom to dampen the noise.

Last edited:
I suggest either Lincoln or Old Town, You want a canoe with a keel and wide enough beam for stability. I run a Nature Bound (long out of business), but is based on a Lincoln mold. I use it for trapping, duck hunting and fishing. It is stable enough that I can stand in it and pole.

Sorry, wrong thread ...

How-To-Prevent-Joints-From-Canoeing-Burning-Unevenly.jpg

Old Towne Discovery 133. Only 13'-3" long and about 41" wide at the yoke. It's a small battleship, very stable for fishing or hunting. The only downside is that no matter how hard you row it, the pig is too wide to get any real speed. Crosslink 3 hull is nearly indestructible and provides floatation. I bought it back in the late nineties and still smile every time I use it. At 79lbs. it's not lite but it's quiet and sits in the water nicely.

Back
Top Bottom