Canning, how to needed.

Ask around. You might be able to find one. Also check Craigslist. YOu should be able to find one for short money. My personal favorites are the older Mirros. You can get the gaskets at Ace Hardware. I also have an old Sears that I converted from dial to weighted gauge. I dont like the dial gauges as they can be inaccurate and should be tested every year. The All Americans are nice but I dont think they are worth the price. A gasket will last you many years if you take care of it and spares are cheap. The gaskets on both my Mirros are probably 20+ yrs old and work fine.

How did you convert it to a weighted gauge?

Mine is from the 70s and was manufactured by Presto. All you do is replace the safety weight with a weighted gauge. I did it with my All American as well. On that I had to replacethe vent tube and get a weight.

This is what im getting out of this. Pressure canners cook foods in jars right?
Can I make a huge pot of soup eat what I want then can the leftovers in a pressure canner?
Is that safe to do or not recommend.

This is what im getting out of this. Pressure canners cook foods in jars right?
Can I make a huge pot of soup eat what I want then can the leftovers in a pressure canner?
Is that safe to do or not recommend.

The short answer is yes but some things like noodles dont can real well in my experience. They get very mushy. If you dont already have it get the Ball Book of Canning. It has a lot of good info on pressure canning. There is also a great website put out by the USDA that has a ton of info. I think it is run by the University of Georgia. I will try to find the link.

My Dad has the Ball Book of Cannin I was getting a lot of good info from it. I will see if I can grab it from and ckeck it out a little better.

Yup, what coasties said. Also some things are considered to dense to cam Definitely get the Ball Blue Book.
Full of good info and recipes.

I thought it was not a good idea to can beans, say in a chilli reciep because they foam up and froth. (ball book.) Im seeing a bunch of online reciep adding beans dry or store bought canned. Little confused.

You can make baked beans, etc. Look in the ball blue book there are recipes. Be careful of some of the recipes on line because some are not safe. If you are on FB there are two canning groups I follow and the only use safe recipes/technique. 1 is SB Canning and the 2nd is Preserving the Harvest by the book. You can ask questions /recipes and they will also tell you if a recipe is not safe for canning.

Back
Top Bottom