Canning, how to needed.

blindndead

NES Member
I picked up a jar of Crazy Jerry's spicy garlic mushrooms at BPS today, good but I think I can do better. I want to try my luck with the mason jars and try a batch of my own reciep. Where do I start? this is all new to me. books links anything to point me in the right direction. Thanks

Get the Ball Blue Book of Canning. It's the best place to start. I'm going to be doing a canning class sometime in July at my house.

When I started canning I did it according to the Ball book, and I still use it eight years later. We've canned veggies and meats as well as jams and they've come out just fine.

You may want to take Doobie up on his canning class, too. I met him at an Appleseed shoot, IMO he's a good guy, and will get you on the path to righteousness regarding canning.

+1 rep to Jdubois for the link
+1 rep to blindndead for the thread

This is one of those things that's been bugging me forever, but I've always failed to act on my curiosity! Now with the link I'm definately going to get into this ASAP. One of the most basic skills to have that is far-overlooked in modern society.

+1 rep to Jdubois for the link
+1 rep to blindndead for the thread

This is one of those things that's been bugging me forever, but I've always failed to act on my curiosity! Now with the link I'm definately going to get into this ASAP. One of the most basic skills to have that is far-overlooked in modern society.

Thanks Fsorrent !!!!

Canning isn't hard. Ball Blue book is excellent, and I also have a book Canning, freezing of meat fish and game which is really good also. I am canning asparagus today.

Funny Word Canning

I was going to tell you all about how I replaced the Cane on my Canoe seat.

Buyt Now I see you ment the other kind Canning.

I am hoping to have lots of Veggies in the Garden and Blueberries. Maybe I should Can some up. I ususually just blanc and freeze them

Last edited:
Anyone know of a decent place to pickup a pressure canner?

Ask AdamMA he got one last year. The All American is the cadilac of canners. Pricey for the initial outlay, but will last you a lifetime. I have a large Presto Canner, but I am also looking into having a second, just because of the time in between batches.

I just canned 17 quarts of asparagus. [grin] Seeing how I started this morning and figured since I had everything out may as well do more.[thinking] I have 3 more quarts to throw into the canner and then I can call it a night.[laugh]

We've been thinking about it, especially with the price of food. Growing our own and canning some of it for off season might help defray food costs.

Can anyone comment on stainless vs aluminum on a ceramic stove top? Seems as though some places discourage the use of the All American on a ceramic top. The All American is from Wisconsin Aluminum, correct?

Does anyone have experience with stainless models? Any stainless preferences?

Thanks,

-ed

Anyone know of a decent place to pickup a pressure canner?

Ebay, online. Not many places have them locally. Agway *might* but probably not this time of the year.

Make sure it is a pressure CANNER, not pressure cooker

One of the things we are going to do when the weather is warmer is can outside with a propane burner. You can pick them up fairly cheap. We canned alot of tomatoes last year 47 quarts and we are down to the last 15 which should last until we start canning them again. We also did beans,but I froze the majority.
We are doing a garden again this year. It does help come the winter months.
It also tastes much better, since you don't have all the preservatives.

asparagus.

17 quarts of asparagus.!!! WOW!

How many plants did you have? When did you havast? What is your soil ph?

I planted some Aspagas seeds last year and everyone said they would not grow but I had abot 100 plants by Oct. This spring 2 weeks ago. I divied up and transpnated all the roots and they are just starting to poke out this week.

I figure Ill only get a couple of pounds this year but next spring should be bountiful. Ill proberly die before I get to taste them.

12 parts horse Manure, 2 parts Compost Municipale waste, 1 part fish carcuss, a few egg shells and worms & 4 parts Pulverised Limestone. And Verggies and watch it Grow! toss in some 10-10-10 every now & then. Watch it Grow!

The Almighty gave us our lives, and I suppose He meant us to defend them, at least I have always acted on that, and I hope it will not be brought up against me when my clock strikes.

Last edited:
We actually bought these from some of the local farms. Hubby's mom has a small bed of asparagus. We've been talking about putting in an asparagus bed. We're getting ready to put the rest of the garden in.

yes we have electric inside. that is the big problem and heat inside the kitchen gets HOT.

Ahh yeah, electric... my friends have an electric and it's like a tiny electric burner with a HUGE canner.... I'm going to have a 6 burner stove with a grill section, should be good for canning. I may pick up another canner so I can can two things at once.

The two canners is a good idea. Last night with one canner I could only process 5 quarts at a time. They have to cook 40 minutes in the canner, then you have to let it cool down on it's own so that was another 15 twenty minutes before I could even get another batch in. Needless to say it was a long night for me. I think it was 11:00 pm by the time I was done. Then cleaned up some.

I got a copy of this at the mall yesterday
IMG_1130.jpg

I was telling my dad what I wanted to do and he went into his attic and gave me these, I love my dad

IMG_1133.jpg

So can you all guess what I will be doing this weekend? I need to look for new lids and a few other things but I think I can rock and roll with what I got.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom