Canning, how to needed.

Check out Walmart for clearanced canning stuff. Kind of end of season though.
Walmart has the canning supplies in the kitchen area of their store.
Early this spring we picked up alot of clearanced canning stuff they had from last year. Hoping we can do the same next year.[laugh]
Also if you get in a bind you can always find the stuff on line.

Check out Walmart for clearanced canning stuff. Kind of end of season though.
Walmart has the canning supplies in the kitchen area of their store.
Early this spring we picked up alot of clearanced canning stuff they had from last year. Hoping we can do the same next year.[laugh]
Also if you get in a bind you can always find the stuff on line.

Thanks for the tip. I will check walmart let you know how I make out.

If you really get into canning you will want more than one pressure canner.[grin]
I have 3 now. We found a nice smaller one at a flea market cleaned up, bought new seals, and new pressure dial and it works great when I don't have alot of canning to do. Small batches.
Hubby also made me an outdoor kitchen so I don't heat the house up which is great. We'll be working more on that next year so I have a sink, etc.[laugh]
Lehmans has some great canning utensils that I picked up. You can get a rack that will hold 12 lids so you can steralize them, and do yourself a favor get the magnetic lid lifter. I have several funnels.
Have different size pans, I have a small one I use for steralizing the lids and rings, a large pot for steralizing jars, and a medium one for heating up the liquid to put in the jars, and yes at times you will have every burner on your stove going.[laugh]
The best part though is what you can yourself tastes soooo much better than anything you buy.[wink]
Good luck and have fun. I enjoy canning alot. It's one thing I really appreciate learning how to do with my grandmother.[grin]

I've got a ton of the older style type with the the wire clamp down glass lid with the rubber gaskets. My parents and grandparents used these. I've read those are no longer safe to use. Is that correct?

And if you were buying your first Pressure canner. What size would be best?

I've got a ton of the older style type with the the wire clamp down glass lid with the rubber gaskets. My parents and grandparents used these. I've read those are no longer safe to use. Is that correct?

And if you were buying your first Pressure canner. What size would be best?

I would not use those canning jars, and yes you are correct that they are considered not safe. You have no way of knowing whether they have really sealed.
We buy the cases of Golden Harvest canning jars, they are a few bucks cheaper than the Ball or Mason.
We buy new lids every year also.
First off how much are you looking to spend on a pressure canner.
If you want to make an investment go with the All American canner in a in between size. Not the smallest and not the largest.
In the beginning of canning season things come in in small batches which is why I have a small canner which does about 5 qt and I think I have done 8 or 9 pints in it. It's not as tall but I use that one alot.
We actually picked that up at the flea market for real cheap, put new seals/gaskets and new dial gauge and it has worked great.
Kitchen Kraft has alot of canning supplies and canners of various makes.
I have lucked into my canners. I actually got one out of a room we have at the dump still in a box with the instruction booklet and all.[laugh]
Try to think about how much canning you are really going to do and what size jars and find an in between canner.

score!!

IMG_1135.jpg

Walmart trip I found,
1 case of Ball jars $6
1 case best harvest jars $5
Canner with rack $14
2 boxes of lids 12 in a pac for my dads jars $1 ea
1 utensil set $5
My dad said I made out like a bandit.

Yes you did really well. Remember to look also in early spring.We made a killing then also on things like fruit fresh, pickling salt, etc.[grin]

I will start with

Pickled Mushrooms (Canned) Recipe #277777
I was looking for a recipe for pickled mushrooms that tasted like the ones you buy in the grocery or liquor store. The type used in cocktails. Came across this one from Morton Salt. I haven't tried it yet. http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=38
by Bonnie Young
1 hour | 40 min prep

SERVES 20 , 5 half pints

3 lbs mushrooms (1 to 2 inches in diameter, commercially grown)
2 1/2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
1 3/4 cups water
3 tablespoons morton canning & pickling salt
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
5 garlic cloves
Trim off stem ends of mushrooms. Wash mushrooms in cool running water. Drain.
In large pot, combine vinegar, water and salt. Heat, stirring to dissolve salt. Add mushrooms. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer mushrooms in brine for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Pack mushrooms into sterilized half-pint jars. To each jar add: 1 tablespoon onion, 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, and 1 clove garlic. Fill jars with hot brine, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles using a non-metal spatula. Wipe rims of jars and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath.
NOTE: If mushrooms are large (2 inches in diameter), 1 to 2 more sterilized pint jars may be needed. Use additional spices as needed for each jar. Processing time above is for less than 1000 feet. For altitudes of 1000-6000 feet, process 25 minutes; above 6000 feet, process for 30 minutes.

Scored a 21 1/2 quart Granite-ware canning pot with rack for $10.00
2 Ball utensil sets for $5.00 each.
10 boxes of lids for $1.00 each

all from Wally World.

Still on the hunt for some new jars at end of season pricing

all from Wally World.

Check out Big Lots also. We have found stuff there. Jars there will be a few bucks cheaper alot of times.[grin]

all from Wally World.

Good find look what I did, started small my 1st batch ever cooling now.

IMG_1201.jpg

I went to Wal-Mart to try and find some stuff but it was picked over, but I did pick up 2 things of lids and think I will pick up 1ea of Wide Jar and Regular Jar lids each time I hit walmart to start stocking up on it.

Good start!! let me know what you make for your 1st batch.

Whenever we go to yard sales we look for canning jars and utensils. Many people are eager to get rid of canning equipment. The only thing we buy now is lids. Even the rings are reusable until they get rusty.

Home canning can be unsafe if you don't follow the Ball instructions carefully. If you keep everything sterilized you will have product that will last for years.

We got my in between pressure canner at the flea market for 5 bucks. Cleaned it up, bought new seals, gaskets, and pressure dial. It is one of the best I have and I use it the most.
Sometimes you can find canning jars free on Freecycle/craigslist. I scored a bunch a couple of years ago at the dump. We have a room that people put things in and I go through there every week. Just never know what is going to turn up.[laugh]

I strongly encourage people that like canning veggies to get into meat, get a pressure canner, last week my wife and I picked up 15+lbs of chicken for $1.29/lb and canned it, we it's great for soups, quasadilla's(sp) and any other chicken dish that doesn't require whole pieces of chicken. (we also do pork and red meat and find lots of uses) it keeps our freezer usage to a minimum and allows us to have a lot of pre-cooked meat that just needs to be heated up!

It's something I will eventually be doing, but since it has to be canned for a way longer period, I would be doing that on my outdoor stove.[grin]

It's something I will eventually be doing, but since it has to be canned for a way longer period, I would be doing that on my outdoor stove.[grin]

Yeah, we can do a canner full in the evening before bed but it's about 2-3 hours between the prep-work and the 90ish minutes of cooking. I am going to start trying adding spices to the cans and see how the meat comes out.

Just scored a ton of Canning Jars (186), lids, rings and two enameled pots, racks etc. at a good price.

Mason and Ball Canning Jars -

Quart - 24 new, 50 used

Pint - regular - 36 new, 26 used

Pint - wide mouth - 19 new, 31 used

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom