Can you recommend a mag fed, 22lr rifle for Appleseed?

I did some research on the Appleseed shoot that I'm planning on attending in April. It seems that you shoot 500 - 600 rounds which means I need a .22 lr (I had previously hoped to bring one of my .308 rifles...). I have a Marlin but it's old and not accurate and has a tubular magazine. It seems that magazine fed is the recommended option.

options as I see it:

Savage model 64 - don't know anything about it but I love the Savages that I've owned

Ruger 10/22 - some of my friends complain about them jamming

others?

I'm trying to keep this under $500

I did some research on the Appleseed shoot that I'm planning on attending in April. It seems that you shoot 500 - 600 rounds which means I need a .22 lr (I had previously hoped to bring one of my .308 rifles...). I have a Marlin but it's old and not accurate and has a tubular magazine. It seems that magazine fed is the recommended option.

options as I see it:

Savage model 64 - don't know anything about it but I love the Savages that I've owned

Ruger 10/22 - some of my friends complain about them jamming

others?

I'm trying to keep this under $500

Another thought is a GOOD, used Rem. Nylon 66. Have had mine since the early 70's. Never, in all these years have had a misfire (other than a dud) or a failure to extract. It is butt fed (14 rds.), and I still use it fairly regularly. Yes, I do maintain and clean it. [grin]

10/22.

Search NES for Liberty Training Rifle (LTR) and check out rimfirecentral.com for some easy mods that you can do to it. (Extended mag release, bolt release, hammer, etc.)

I recently got a 10/22 and used it at this past weekend's Appleseed. We sent somewhere in the vicinity of 700 rounds downrange over the course of the weekend. I had 1 FTF out of 700. The rest of the time it was flawless. Many of the other shooters also had 10/22's and I heard VERY few complaints.

Get a 10/22, tart it up as mentioned in the Liberty Training Rifle thread on the Project Appleseed website, and keep it cheap. If you want to spend more money, build a second one, and keep it cheap, too.

I have 6 10/22's (4 with Tech Sights, 2 scoped), and I've had few functioning problems. They each see 5000 rounds and up, per year, as they get used as loaners for Appleseeds. Most 10/22 malfs are ammo or aftermarket mag issues. Use Federal ammo and Ruger mags, you'll be OK.

NavyRedneck,

Chalk up another recommendation for the 10/22. Make sure you test it out WELL BEFORE THE SHOOT!!! I cannot stress this enough - we had a shooter this weekend with a new AR-15 who had nothing but trouble with it.

If you're futzing with your rifle, you ain't learning!

If you DO find that you have issues with the 10/22, www.rimfirecentral.com has a huge section on nothing but the 10/22 - these guys seem to know darn near everything about it and have suggestions for the occasional cranky 10/22. (Hey, any rifle can be cranky.)

I see you're in Metrowest; I am, too. PM me if you'd like to take a look at my LTRs and see what the mods I made to them are.

Another vote for a 10/22 in LTR configuration. Go with tech-sights if you have decent eyesight, scope if you don't. The critical items are the sling, sighting system, and 4 total mags. You can do this for about $300 with a new rifle.

I'm for the 10/22 as well. I was having jam issues (stove pipes) with mine, but replaced the extractor and it works fine now.

I bought my 10/22 used for $130. It was a filthy mess inside. A little elbow grease, a little gun scrubber (or cleaner of your choice), add the LTR (liberty training rifle) add-ons (focus on the sights and sling IMHO if you have $$ restrictions). I did upgrade my trigger and sear in addition.

There is plenty of inherent accuracy in the 10/22 for Appleseed. And reliability in my experience is excellent. If there is any reason you hear about more FTF or stovepipes with 10/22's than other rifles, it is because there are so many in comparison and they are so frequently shot. Not that there aren't other very good rifles, but you don't need to break the bank to get a good rifle. And used can be good, so keep an eye on the used racks at your local gun shop.

Another option is to get one of these for your tubular magazine .22.

You still want to have a sling and GOOD sights on your rifle, though.

Ok, I now have a ruger stainless 10/22 rifle and will be ordering tech sights soon and am working on having 4 ten round mags for the event. Will post pictures when everything is rigged up and good to go. One last question:

Everyone says use a brass punch to knock the front sight out from left to right. Is that left to right facing the gun or looking down the barrel from the rear sight?

(and yes I have tons of brass punches from my days of hammering out cone washers on a Toyota pickup)

Thanks for the opinions so far. The gun shoots awesome with no jams yet on any 22 lr ammo. Too bad I can't say that for the Ruger 22A I bought which only likes the relatively expensive mini-mags.

I can't remember off the top of my head which way the direction works, but there's a picture in the instructions that come with the tech-sights.

Do you mean smith 22a or ruger mk?

Everyone says use a brass punch to knock the front sight out from left to right. Is that left to right facing the gun or looking down the barrel from the rear sight?

(and yes I have tons of brass punches from my days of hammering out cone washers on a Toyota pickup)

Yes it's left to right as seen by the shooter. They tend to be a little tight so don't be alarmed if you have to beat the snot out of it.

Do you mean smith 22a or ruger mk?

Ha, yeah, I meant smith & wesson 22A. Nice, accurate gun but only likes the higher velocity 22 lr rounds. I still like it better than my single action Ruger single six. I hate reloading that thing and it doesn't shoot as accurately as the 22A. Probably due to me as I do much better with the longer sight radius.

Any issues drilling my nice, new synethetic stock to put a VTAC sling on it?

I also ordered 4 new ruger 10 round mags for the gun for $52 shipped off of gunbroker.

I will post up pics when one. Thanks again for the advice.

Any issues drilling my nice, new synethetic stock to put a VTAC sling on it?

I have a VTAC sling for my AR, its a great tactical sling, but you should probably pick up a web sling if your looking to shoot an appleseed, the VTAC really won't get the job done as well, or as simply. Learn it with the web sling first and everything should apply fairly similarly to the VTAC.

Back
Top Bottom