• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can we really not get 10 round mags in MA??

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I tried to order a ten round Buckmark magazine, and got this response from an out of state dealer. Is this really true? I thought the law forbid mags with greater than ten rounds, not ten or greater...

I did a little research for you. The information I found, that we must abide by, is as follows:

MASSACHUSETTS CUSTOMERS: No sales of ammunition or High Capacity magazines to anyone. FFL Dealers may purchase handguns that are on the MA approved for sale list. No sales of rifles which accept high capacity magazines.

Magazines -MA: ten round (+) capacity are restricted to Law Enforcement Officers only.

I hope this helps in your search for mags. And again, I would like to thank you for your interest in A-1 Hunting and Shooting Supply.

This "dealer" is wrong, and just being frightened by the anti-gun climate here. I have, on multiple occasions had 10 rounders shipped here. Find a different dealer.

I tried to order a ten round Buckmark magazine, and got this response from an out of state dealer. Is this really true? I thought the law forbid mags with greater than ten rounds, not ten or greater...

No, it's bullshit. The dealer either doesn't know the law here or is looking
for a nice sounding cop out so they don't have to sell stuff to
MA.

Unless your gun is really new, I would try CDNN or one of the other catalogs
first. Most vendors will sell mags here that are 10 rounds or less, as they are not
even a controlled item. (mags above 10 rnds are LCAFDs, even if preban, and
require an LTC A/B for possession).

-Mike

The dealer is ignorant.

First, 10 rounds is NOT "large capacity." It must hold in excess of ten rounds to be "large capacity" for a handgun or rifle; in excess of five rounds for a shotgun.

Second, "pre-ban" mags are perfectly fine, IF you have the correct license. That means at least an LTC/B for any rifle or shotgun; an A for a handgun.

You are correct on that point as has been stated. What you quote is the DEALERS policy, not MA law and they are correct when they state;
"Magazines -MA: ten round (+) capacity are restricted to Law Enforcement Officers only." They just use confusing language (ten round +) rather than just stating "mags holding MORE than 10" or similar.

mags in Mass.

This situation is not unusual for us in the BLUE state of Mass. I tried to order a four shot Winchester rifle mag and an eight shot Radom mag and the dealer would not ship them to me in Mass. Had to go through an FFL. Also tried to get some G3 mags(high capacity) through an FFL here in Mass. form a very large national dealer and they would not ship them to a Ma. FFL. And it will probably get worse before it gets better!

commandcaddy

Back
Top Bottom