Can someone school me on 1919s

So a few weeks ago I almost bought a 1919 from a member here, but hesitated and missed out. Now it's all I've been able to think about, and I want one in the worst way. Now because this is a completely different type of firearm than what I'm used to, it seems foreign to me and looking online there seems to be a lot of different variables when it comes to them. For starters, is there any particular "brand" or builder to stay away from? Are there any that are miles above and beyond? Are they a really finicky firearm? I've read lots and one thing that keeps coming up is head spacing. Is this only a problem or area of concentration for guys building their own?

Thanks, as always, for the information.

I'd love one in full auto, and more than likely it'll be the only belt fed MG i'll ever be able to afford some day. Besides the novelty of the semi auto, I don't know how much fun a belt fed tripod .308 would be after a while. That said, I used to work with a guy who had a semi auto who had no real issues with it. Not sure if it's the Atlantic Firearms gun or not though. I think it'd be cool either way.

Finallygotabeltfed is the resident NES 1919a4/a6 expert. He's the guy who helped us put together all of our 1919a4 kits at the group build a while back.

That Atlantic Arms unit you linked to seems to be a little bit high priced - the last time I checked on www.1919a4.com - there were 1919a4's for sale there for around $2k. The Atlantic Arms one comes with the tripod though - so that's like $250-$300 right there.

The least expensive route to go is to get a kit - and either build it yourself - or send it out to get built. There's a guy right now on 1919a4.com who has around 30 kits for sale - and if I remember correctly the price was in the $900-$1000 range. Supposedly these are high quality kits that have been sitting around for a few years. Building the kit will run $500-$600 from a good builder if you want to send it out. You'll also have to purchase the side plate - which is the serial numbered part - this will run about $185 -$200 for a ready to go part:

http://www.halomfg.com/Results.cfm?category=8

There's a number of places that sell 1919a4 side plates, the parts kits are drying up but can still be found, links for them are pretty commonly available, repro tripods are also pretty commonly available - etc.

If you're curious about the Atlantic Firearms unit - I would call them and ask for details on who built it, whose sideplate it was built on - etc.

Two good sources for 1919a4 information:

http://www.1919a4.com

http://browningmgs.com/

http://www.beltfedshooters.com

If you're short on cash I would get a kit - or two - sit on that until you can afford the sideplate(s) - and then find a builder to put it together for you. I've got two kits right now that I need to get built - and I'm probably going to send them out. I just don't have the time to do it myself lately.

Would you consider building one? I kind of want one too, but was thinking about going the build route.

Chris

Would you consider building one? I kind of want one too, but was thinking about going the build route.

Chris

It's not *that* hard to build one. You will need a few tools - but if you're relatively handy you can do it. There was an NES 1919a4 group build here that Finalygotabeltfed ran a while back. I would think about going down the build it yourself route if you've got A) a good workshop to do it in B) the correct tools C) you're relatively "handy" D) time. Even after you build it - you still have to get it finished from bare metal too.

That last one , plus the fact that I'm lacking a decent workshop right now and some of the tools I would need to properly put one together and have it come out nice - is why I'm thinking of just paying somebody to build the other two kits I have. There's a couple of people who have gotten good recommendations from 1919a4 members - and these guys parkerize the gun after building it - so I'll likely send my kits off to one of them. Build it yourself and you'll need to find somebody to parkerize it for you.

Finallygotabeltfed is the resident NES 1919a4/a6 expert. He's the guy who helped us put together all of our 1919a4 kits at the group build a while back.

That Atlantic Arms unit you linked to seems to be a little bit high priced - the last time I checked on www.1919a4.com - there were 1919a4's for sale there for around $2k. The Atlantic Arms one comes with the tripod though - so that's like $250-$300 right there.

The least expensive route to go is to get a kit - and either build it yourself - or send it out to get built. There's a guy right now on 1919a4.com who has around 30 kits for sale - and if I remember correctly the price was in the $900-$1000 range. Supposedly these are high quality kits that have been sitting around for a few years. Building the kit will run $500-$600 from a good builder if you want to send it out. You'll also have to purchase the side plate - which is the serial numbered part - this will run about $185 -$200 for a ready to go part:

http://www.halomfg.com/Results.cfm?category=8

There's a number of places that sell 1919a4 side plates, the parts kits are drying up but can still be found, links for them are pretty commonly available, repro tripods are also pretty commonly available - etc.

If you're curious about the Atlantic Firearms unit - I would call them and ask for details on who built it, whose sideplate it was built on - etc.

Two good sources for 1919a4 information:

http://www.1919a4.com

http://browningmgs.com/

http://www.beltfedshooters.com

If you're short on cash I would get a kit - or two - sit on that until you can afford the sideplate(s) - and then find a builder to put it together for you. I've got two kits right now that I need to get built - and I'm probably going to send them out. I just don't have the time to do it myself lately.

Are these the types of parts kits your referencing? http://e-sarcoinc.com/1919a4combination30830-06set.aspx Finallygotabeltfed sent me a message with a ton of great info, so reps to him. Thanks guys!

I'm thinking buying a kit and having it built might be my best bet, that way I'm not dumping a huge lump of money right off the bet. I ended up picking up a crankfire first, which I know, I know seems dumb, but I figured better strike while the iron is hot. I paid probably a little more than I should have ($800) but considering their rarity, and increasing price, waiting could have proved foolish. Well that's what I'm telling myself anyways [laugh]

I played along at home with the last build. I have a fairly serious hobby shop with probably all the tools necessary less the particular jigs and assembly expertise. I live in Westford, maybe you can sell me one of your kits and we can put them together?

Chris

It's not *that* hard to build one. You will need a few tools - but if you're relatively handy you can do it. There was an NES 1919a4 group build here that Finalygotabeltfed ran a while back. I would think about going down the build it yourself route if you've got A) a good workshop to do it in B) the correct tools C) you're relatively "handy" D) time. Even after you build it - you still have to get it finished from bare metal too.

That last one , plus the fact that I'm lacking a decent workshop right now and some of the tools I would need to properly put one together and have it come out nice - is why I'm thinking of just paying somebody to build the other two kits I have. There's a couple of people who have gotten good recommendations from 1919a4 members - and these guys parkerize the gun after building it - so I'll likely send my kits off to one of them. Build it yourself and you'll need to find somebody to parkerize it for you.

Fun toy. I sold my tnw one thinking easily replaceable, but was wrong. Got a new Saginaw replica marked one being built as we speak. Can't wait to unite it with my b.a.r :D

Speaking of the 1919 build party, has anyone that built them tested them and how did they work?

Speaking of the 1919 build party, has anyone that built them tested them and how did they work?

Had ours at the car shoot this spring. The belt holding pawl that came with the kit didn't work right. We have jury-rigged solution in place - it runs (cranks!) but is a touch finicky. We need to rummage around and find a pawl that makes it happy after the move.

Had ours at the car shoot this spring. The belt holding pawl that came with the kit didn't work right. We have jury-rigged solution in place - it runs (cranks!) but is a touch finicky. We need to rummage around and find a pawl that makes it happy after the move.

Thanks.
Did you try feeding the links in the opposite way, single loop first or double loop first? Sometimes thats all it takes.
Also, an assistant gunner feeding the belt helps.
I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Are they a really finicky firearm? I've read lots and one thing that keeps coming up is head spacing. Is this only a problem or area of concentration for guys building their own?

Re-adjusting the headspace is fairly easy once you modify the detent spring, but kind of a pain if you don't.

Re-adjusting the headspace is fairly easy once you modify the detent spring, but kind of a pain if you don't.

That mod really shouldn't even be necessary once its set for the specific ammo being fired. I think taking the gun back apart to adjust it is a good thing, it adds to familiarization with the gun and trains the hands for reassembly.

I left all mine as they were, its more secure than a pointed detent.

Thanks.
Did you try feeding the links in the opposite way, single loop first or double loop first? Sometimes thats all it takes.
Also, an assistant gunner feeding the belt helps.
I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Will give it a go. The first pawl was just flat-out wrong - the ammo physically could not fit into the action. Not shocking as it turns out they shipped us a barrel of the wrong caliber too! The current pawl works if you hold the belt to the rear a bit. Something about the receiver and the pawl isn't quite right and we just need to do the hunting to find a better match.

We should probably send you a picture :)

Thanks for the help, past and present.

Back
Top Bottom