Can someone help me clarify this law?

MXD

I was planning on attending the motocross national in Southwick, MA and camping over to ride the track the next day. The website says this under the practice day info:

" No weapons (MA. state law prohibits firearms at sporting events). "
http://www.motocross338.org/Practice.htm

Is that an actual law? Where can I find it?

I was planning on attending the motocross national in Southwick, MA and camping over to ride the track the next day. The website says this under the practice day info:

IANAL, but I claim BS.

Bogus... only prohibition is carrying/possession on school property.

If discovered carrying, the worst they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, you could be charged with trespassing.

Ask them if MA State law "prohibits firearms at sporting event", then how does that work at competitive shooting events (IDPA, Appleseed, bench rest, etc).

"Ohhh... but those aren't real sporting events".

If discovered carrying, the worst they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, you could be charged with trespassing.

Ask them if MA State law "prohibits firearms at sporting event", then how does that work at competitive shooting events (IDPA, Appleseed, bench rest, etc).

What about Skeet Golf? That's a real sport, right? [rofl2]

What about Skeet Golf? That's a real sport, right? [rofl2]

my father-in-law is big into golf, golfs every weekend and most week days....
my LTC is restricted to "sporting" he asked what that meant... i told him "it means you hit the ball, and i get to try and shoot it out of the air/away from the hole"

he wasn't amused.... :)
oddly enough my MIL thought it was a great idea for a sport!

This

No, they are full of s**t.

-Mike

And this.

Concealed means concealed, worst they can do is ask you to leave.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was BS but the fact that I couldn't find any such law on the books means that it was either total BS or I didn't look hard enough. I have far less of a problem with it if they just said that it was their policy. The fact that they make a false claim on their sight pisses me off much more.

Isn't this the same as CC @ the Garden, Fenway or Gillette? There are no specific law to prevent you to CC but firearms are not allowed within the stadium during any event.

Isn't this the same as CC @ the Garden, Fenway or Gillette? There are no specific law to prevent you to CC but firearms are not allowed within the stadium during any event.

Thats the venues choice, thats why they installed metal detectors and do random bag checks (that and booze). But theres no law against it.

Thats the venues choice, thats why they installed metal detectors and do random bag checks (that and booze). But theres no law against it.

Either the legislators weren't thinking that day... or Hell froze over when they drafted the clause that allowed that.

It's actually one of the rare MA gun control laws that puts us ahead of the curve when compared to other states... even we can carry in bars!

(I should modify my comments somewhat... it's only been in the past few years, more and more states have passed legislation to allow CCW in sporting arenas and places where alcohol is served, but, at least we beat them to it [smile])

Last I went there are no metal detectors.
There is A LOT of people that show up to that. A LOT. It's quite close to Powder Mill school but other than that...

... I can totally see the crowd mentality getting amped up when trying to leave - there is the potential for mayhem with that many pumped up teens/young adults/adults
There is only really ONE way outta there and it can take a LONG time to single file hundreds and hundreds of cars out.

It's prob not a bad idea...

Back
Top Bottom