Can Municipal Workers Carry Concealed?

I work for a DPW and we were talking about concealed carry. I did a search but couldnt find anything on the legality of carrying if you're a state employee. One of the older guys said, about 20 years ago some guy pulled his ccw out during work and management got wind of it and said no carrying anymore. I havent seen anything in our handbook about it. Is there some general state law that says anything about this?

My wife works for the Dept. Of Labor here in Maine as a Safety Engineer and travels through out the state at all hours and a few days at a time once in awhile. CC was previously something they didn't approve of (due to some of thier offices also have Federal employees) but recently said is ok and this was before all the recent events. She was taking here 40 cal Shield with her on overnight trips before the change anyway. She does not drive a state vehicle so they really can't stop her from storing a handgun in her own car anyway.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My department has a very clear policy on firearms that is all of 1 paragraph = NO

This is about how it goes IIRC - No firearms are allowed on any department property. Any violation will result in significant disciplinary action.

I have thought about this often as we go into several high crime areas with highrise apartment buildings in which our radios don't work reliably. So no mayday calls. We often go into the areas for water leaks, medicals (often turn out to be domestics), calls for the smell of gas etc, and find ourselves out numbered, in gang houses or other bad places. People that don't want PD in thier homes or other places, have figured out how to call for help in a way which police will not come, but fire and EMS will. It would be impossible for the police to come with us on every call given our call volume and thier's.

So if it was allowed, I certainly would CCW. But I can't afford to loose my job and there is literally no way to CCW without someone finding out. Bringing an axe to a gunfight, well you know how that would work out!!

Obviously, like my cell phone and wallet, If we were allowed to CCW on-duty, we would need a secure place to store it during fire suppression.

I suspect it depends on the town, etc. A friend used to be a town conservation officer and would have to go out to the woods and delineate wetlands. She's find drifters squatting on empty lots all the time. A couple times she had to call the police to evict trespassers and the first officer that arrives looks at her and says, "you need to get a gun." So she did. There's some hope left for Mass.

Were town employees but technically employed under the state of MA

No, you aren't a state employee in this case, you are a municipal employee covered under a state pension fund and other state benefits.

I'm a MA Constable, but I am appointed by a municipality and under MGL, I am considered a town employee with some state-wide powers.

You need to look in your union contract and town bylaws. If they are mute on the subject you are not forbidden by any rule/law (there is no state law wrt employees of a municipality). Don't ask, don't tell . . . if you mention it or it is found out, they will make a rule and perhaps take action under some bogus BS.

I knew guys who worked the night shift at a DPW who carried beause of some of the areas they had to respond to alone at night but I'm pretty sure if they asked management the answer would be no.

Back
Top Bottom