Can IWB holsters be worn ITB?

Does anyone do this? Wear an inside the waist band holster in the belt (ITB), outside the waist band? I have a few pairs of pants including a new pair of 7's that fit perfectly. The problem is that even with a thin Kahr, it is not comfortable IWB (the pants are just too damn tight with a gun IWB). I wear boot cut, so there is plenty of room for an ankle holster, which I have and use, but God help me if I need to get that gun out fast. The ankle holster is comfortable, but the thought of being taken down and not able to reach my ankle is sobering.

I can put my Galco Triton ITB. Any comments on experience with doing this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Get a different holster. I bought a few Galcos when I was new to carrying, I didn't like them. I think they were poorly made.

Get a different holster. I bought a few Galcos when I was new to carrying, I didn't like them. I think they were poorly made.
Sorry about the confusing way I worded the original post. The discomfort comes from the lack of girth in the waist band to accommodate an IWB holster, not from the holder. No IWB holster will fit IWB of my 7s. I like the Triton IWB so much so that I might get a second one for another gun (when worn in pants 1-2 waist sizes larger). The question is, are there problems I'm not realizing by using an IWB holster ITB? Please don't speculate, I'm looking for actual experience. Thanks.

Sorry about the confusing way I worded the original post. The discomfort comes from the lack of girth in the waist band to accommodate an IWB holster, not from the holder. No IWB holster will fit IWB of my 7s. I like the Triton IWB so much so that I might get a second one for another gun (when worn in pants 1-2 waist sizes larger). The question is, are there problems I'm not realizing by using an IWB holster ITB? Please don't speculate, I'm looking for actual experience. Thanks.

No actual experience, but common sense says that more of the gun and/or holster would be exposed. Defeating the point of a concealment holster. At that point, outside the waistband (OWB) holsters would be preferred. Will it work? Sure. Will it be ideal? Not really.

Yeah, you may as well just buy a pancake holster. I tries this briefly (like, for a few hours) when I wasnt wearing my duty belt at work. The biggest issue with this is that you're very limited to placement as your holster would likely have to sit between two belt loops; you will likely find you won't get the necessary holster supportif you have to skip a belt loop. That and your belt may have to have a good bit of extra slack depending on how it mounts the holster.

FEIW, I recently bought a Triskel hoster from Garritys Gunleather that you can use as an IWB, OWB, and an IWB tuckable. I don't see why you couldn't do this, too.

Last edited:
All my pants that I use with a IWB are a little bit too big for me. That extra waist-size means very littl eor nothing to appearance, yet adds a ton to comfort. Wearing a IWB OWB means you're giving up a significant amount of concealabiity,

Try it. The Triton with a small gun like the Kahr may just work. I also use the Triton, it's my favorite holster. I don't see any reason it would not work the same as if it was in your pants since the clip and belt hold up the gun.

Last edited:
I personally usually buy my pants in the woman's department, I like my dungarees to fit tight and love the stretch denim. It makes it very easy to conceal IWB and it's very comfortable all day long. Their are many outfits that are unisex. I am a fitness buff so I discovered the advantage of stretch material years ago.

I personally usually buy my pants in the woman's department, I like my dungarees to fit tight and love the stretch denim. It makes it very easy to conceal IWB and it's very comfortable all day long. Their are many outfits that are unisex. I am a fitness buff so I discovered the advantage of stretch material years ago.
April fools???

WTF???

Looks like this just became an out yourself thread.

The biggest issue with this is that you're very limited to placement as your holster would likely have to sit between two belt loops

THIS, My crossbreed certainly has a belt loop right where the slide is so I'd have to skip a loop. I run into the same problem with lots of my pants not having enough room for an IWB. There's a Mitch Rosen in my near future.

Well I guess I should have guessed this would go in this direction. What was I thinking, oh well have you fun with it I guess. I'll just go over here ang keep quiet

Yes, only for a quick trip to the bank or taking out trash. I can't sit or bend over to tie my shoes with it there.

I guess it depends on body type. I carry at 2 o'clock and drive a vehicle for hours each day and have no problem with it other than the muzzle is pointed at my stuff when seated but I've never know a handgun to "just go off". I find it comfortable. It was a suggestion for you to try. Didn't work keep experimenting, you'll find what works for you.

BTW I use a Don Hume holster and carry either a G36 (8 rounds - I have +2 extension floor plates) or G17 (17 round pre-ban) a Beltman 1 1/2" belt
and a couple of spare mags hung on the belt.

[laugh2] wtf?

Common sense says when you want to carry a 1-1.5" wide weapon IWB you buy bigger pants. You build your wardrobe around the weapon.

Common sense says when you want to carry a 1-1.5" wide weapon IWB you buy bigger pants. You build your wardrobe around the weapon.

This. A couple pairs of pants seem to be to be an easier choice than a new custom holster.

Also when I carry IWB, I tend to carry more towards my back, closer to 4 o'clock. At the risk of being more likely to print, I've found this is the only way to prevent my holser from digging into my hip when I sit down. The other option would be to get one that rides higher or have a huge degree of forward cant to shift the muzzle further back.

Well I guess I should have guessed this would go in this direction. What was I thinking, oh well have you fun with it I guess. I'll just go over here ang keep quiet

What did you expect would happen after posting on a gun forum that you prefer to wear women's pants? hahahaha

I wore my cheapo Elite IWB holster with a Kahr PM9 ITB at 4:00 all day today. It seemed to be fine. Probably okay for certain guns in certain holsters.

No actual experience, but common sense says that more of the gun and/or holster would be exposed. Defeating the point of a concealment holster. At that point, outside the waistband (OWB) holsters would be preferred. Will it work? Sure. Will it be ideal? Not really.

Common sense also says "so what" if more of the gun is exposed.

A holster that rides between the belt and the pants sits tighter to the body than a belt holster, even though the gun below the belt is not hidden. It is a FANTASTIC middle ground.

I have been carrying this way for a couple of years. I find it is comfortable and conceals well enough. I am surprised it has taken so long for someone to ask this question.

Over the years, by trial and error, I've found that the single belt clip Galcos work great. I'll get some pics of this tomorrow. Right now I'm dressed for bed.

Yeah, you may as well just buy a pancake holster. I tries this briefly (like, for a few hours) when I wasnt wearing my duty belt at work. The biggest issue with this is that you're very limited to placement as your holster would likely have to sit between two belt loops; you will likely find you won't get the necessary holster supportif you have to skip a belt loop. That and your belt may have to have a good bit of extra slack depending on how it mounts the holster.

FEIW, I recently bought a Triskel hoster from Garritys Gunleather that you can use as an IWB, OWB, and an IWB tuckable. I don't see why you couldn't do this, too.

It comes down to how the holster affects the fit of the pants. With a between the belt/pants holster, the fit of the pants is not affected.
I agree, the belt loops determine the position of the gun. So it doesn't work with all guns and all pants combinations.

Finally, I don't carry a gun in the house. So when its time to go out, I simply loosen my belt a couple of inches, and slide the holster in between the belt and the pants and pull my shirt down. Done. Nice and quick.

Also, it DOES carry the gun closer in than a pancake because the belt is actually going around the gun and pulling it into the body.

CT supra says buy your pants around a gun. That works for some and not for others. If I'm going out of state and can't carry my pants are too big. And frankly, I don't need to conceal that well. I live in CT where OC is grudgingly accepted as the law of the land now. An inside the belt holster gives me a tighter hold than a pancake with less hassle than an IWB and its on and off quicker than either.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom