Can I chop up a shotgun?

I don't know the rules, so this is purely hypothetical at this point. If I wanted to buy a shotgun, probably double-barrel, and cut the barrels off at the end of the forearm, can it be done legally? I don't have one, wouldn't do it to a "nice" gun if I were to proceed, just wondering about "Da Rulez". Same gun, what if I wanted to take/cut off the stock and make it a pistol-grip?

Is this an "AOW" thing? Is there a special license needed (yeah, MA sux) or ATF stamp like NFA stuff? Just curious about the whole thing. Also, if not OK in MA, what about free states? I'll be moving one day...

In mass you're pretty much ****ed, because of the "sawed off shotgun" bullshit in MGL. Not all that long ago, the only way to get an SBS here was to get a factory one, but that may have changed.

-Mike

In mass you're pretty much ****ed, because of the "sawed off shotgun" bullshit in MGL. Not all that long ago, the only way to get an SBS here was to get a factory one, but that may have changed.

This^

IIRC, you can't just cut down an existing shotgun barrel to under 18" and register it as an AOW.
The receiver must have left the factory with the shortened barrel to be registerable under this act.

As for the stock, you can add a pistol grip, but the overall length must be over 26" to be legal.

Last edited:
I used to work with a guy who did that. He then fired it repeatedly in the air in Lynn, Ma on the 4th of July in the 90's. Over the next year his freedom was limited to where ever the state sentences you to.

Ducks unlimited stoeger? O/u lol
But for the trouble I have seen a coach gun at shootersupply dont remember the brand it was all black it looked to be the same length as my daughters crikkett. 22 imo perfect.
But id prefer a pump with more capacity

If two rounds isn't enough, there's always the Chiappa Triple Threat.

Pistol grip, 18" barrels an still makes the 26" OAL, so NFA registration isn't necessary.

2013114123640-chiappa_triplet_f.jpg

As mentioned here anything other than a factory SBS is not allowed unless you find a "virgin" factory receiver that has never been papered as a shotgun. Then you could engrave and make a SBS. Basically impossible to find the castings in the wild.

This^

IIRC, you can't just cut down an existing shotgun barrel to under 18" and register it as an AOW.
The receiver must have left the factory with the shortened barrel to be registerable under this act.

As for the stock, you can add a pistol grip, but the overall length must be over 26" to be legal.

I think you mean, register it as an AOW and then chop it down... order matters cuz FPMITA prison.

an 07 can take a pistol grip factory made gun, cut it and register it as an aow.remember gca of 68 says shotgun is sholder fired. factory made pistol grip shotgun is considered a firearm,you must be 21 to buy. not sure if individual dose same on form 1, will cost 200 to due, will be registered as aow.

No, it has to be intentionally manufactured as an AOW from a virgin receiver, it can't be papered and later cut down.

Still not what I meant. You said cut down and register - the process is register and then cut down. And yes, I understand that with shotguns in MA this is a no-go anyway.

Back
Top Bottom