• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can anyone tell me about the Steyr AUG? Upsides? Downsides?

I've decided I want one. Why? Just because.

How reliable are they (very from what I can gather)? I know pre-ban mags exist but how plentiful and costly are they? Is it better to get one with the stock that accepts STANAG mags? Is there anything that can be done to make the trigger better? I'm in MA so I'd need the flash hider replaced with a muzzle brake. Do they accept AR15 muzzle brakes?

If I were to get one, I'd get the A3 version.

Thanks.

If you are looking at an actual Steyr, I'm pretty sure it will be pre-ban, so no need to do anything to it. If you're looking at a clone, then unless it has a bayonet lug, you don't have to worry about the F/H.

I've heard mixed reviews on the clones, but great reviews on the Steyr. I have no first hand experience with either. Zero Hour Arms had a couple of Steyrs when I was there last week.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris. Steyr is selling the AUG (A3 version) in this country again. So, I could get a new one.

Does the grip design on the AUG not qualify as a pistol grip?

Paul: I was confused (I had my head up my butt). I'm sure that the pistol grip does count, so having the flash suppressor on a new AUG would be a problem. Sorry for the bad info.

Thanks Chris. Steyr is selling the AUG (A3 version) in this country again. So, I could get a new one.

Does the grip design on the AUG not qualify as a pistol grip?

I have a Pre ban AUG, and its an amazing rifle, if its half as good as an A3 then i would buy one. Anybody that asks to shoot it can't believe how good it shoots, no recoil and accurate as hell, its very difficult to suck at shooting it, most people prefer it over there AR. I'm not a 100% sure about an A3 accepting STANAG mags, pretty sure they don't, but i do know they sell replacement Stock retrofit kits so STANAGS can be used, and as far as finding Pre Ban Aug Mags....Good Luck!!!and if u do, expect to pay 75 or 100 bucks a piece. If u pay attention to gunbroker you MIGHT find some deals on mags. The pistol grip on an Aug IS considered a pistol grip, so if u were going to get a new one you would have to pin a muzzle brake on it. The only version of the AUG that has a grip NOT considered a 'Pistol" grip is the "USR" version which was imported during the "AWB" to comply with "AWB", and it also has a non threaded barrel, they are a little less common than normal Pre ban AUG's, but cheeper.

If u want a website that has all info u need on new and pre ban AUGs, Parts etc. etc. this is it: http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/ Pete Athens is the Nations AUG guru.

Zero hour in Easton usually has A couple Pre bans in stock, but expect to pay $3500 and up.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics when u get it.

dead nuts reliable, expensive, ugly, bad trigger, expensive mags, barrels switch out in 30 seconds...and they are uber cool!!!!![smile] if ya got the cake for one, go for it brother!

Upside, the AUG is so freaking cool.
Dwonside, the $$$$

The AUG is one of the all time great designs.
Buy post ban.
Look for an A3 NATO, (it comes with a nato stock so it eats AR mags).
That will save you from having to screw around looking for AUG mags.

smitty

Last edited:
Its extremely reliable, never an issue. There is a device called Neu-Trigger for $30 bucks to make it smoother and i think it helps the the trigger pull by a couple pounds, never had anyone complain about it though. Smitty is right, the NATO version eats AR Mags... sorry i'm in the Pre ban mindset. And as far as ugly goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!. I think is way more gorgeous than any of the Bullpups out there, plus its the original bullpup. Barrels are stupidly interchangeable but cost as much as a Glock. I honestly can't think of any downsides to a new one. Its not just a "cool" range toy rifle , Its the "real deal", respect its history. just Buy one!!!!

Regarding MA legality, see http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/116986-Steyr-AUG-MSAR-not-MA-legal

The new AUG A3/SA USA rifles just started shipping a few weeks ago. These come with a pistol grip, and a threaded barrel by default. The most common configuration for the new rifles is for the proprietary magazines, but there is also the "NATO Stock" available (also as a retrofit part) which does accept STANAG (AR-15) magazines.

The barrel threading on the AUG is unusual, an adapter is needed to use anything but their proprietary muzzle devices.

Yeah but he like threw his AUG in the trash can or something after.

-Mike

No no no, he used it to break a cart or something when he was mad over his brothers death, then somehow he managed to get his aug on the stretcher with him when the emt's took his body out of the building. Though yes I think his kill count with the aug was at 0. But back on topic [laugh]

I had an orig AUG, I had an MSAR 1st gen and I have the MSAR 3rd gen (takes AR mags).
I loved the orig AUG and the DONUT of Death scope. It was just really something really special.

The MSAR and the gen 3 steyr are really nice as well. But just somehow missing something. they are both great but feel heavier and more bulky to me. It may be the rail and added scope.

But if you're going to do it, I'd really push you to one that takes AR mags..

But... The downside to me is if you get one that does not take AR mags. If the new gen Steyr takes orig AUG mags (modified) those had been running $75+, then to mod them and not F them up is a nasty proposition as they are plastic, it does not leave a lot of room for screwing up.

Also a big downside is dealing with/ trying to get get Steyr parts. Import and support by Steyr has always been hit or miss. If you get one, I would really suggest getting an assortment of spares sooner rather than later. Firing pins, springs, etc. Then they were always EXPENSIVE..

Last edited:
I agree that the new designs with the rail just don't look as good as the original.

If the new gen Steyr takes orig AUG mags (modified) those had been running $75+, then to mod them....
Yes, the majority of the new AUG A3 USA production takes AUG magazines, unless you hunt around for the NATO model.
What do you mean by "orig AUG mags (modified)"? Unless you own an MSAR, why would you modify original mags?

Since new production AUG magazines run half that (or less) I assume the $75 price is Mass-legal pre-ban AUG magazines?

I agree that the new designs with the rail just don't look as good as the original.

Yes, the majority of the new AUG A3 USA production takes AUG magazines, unless you hunt around for the NATO model.
What do you mean by "orig AUG mags (modified)"? Unless you own an MSAR, why would you modify original mags?

Since new production AUG magazines run half that (or less) I assume the $75 price is Mass-legal pre-ban AUG magazines?

I was under the impression that the new AUG used an updated version of the orig Aug Mag.

But, I was assuming the OP was a mass person, so to be safe/legal, he'd want to stick with Mass legal pre ban mags.

Last edited:
TMK, the only difference between AUG magazines made today and ones produced 30 years ago is slight changes in hue (and legality in MA)?

They really haven't changed the product much in all this time, not even to improve the trigger pull. Put an AUG/A1 from 1977 and a new US-made A3 from last week on a table together (wish I could!), and the differences are slight.

TMK, the only difference between AUG magazines made today and ones produced 30 years ago is slight changes in hue (and legality in MA)?

They really haven't changed the product much in all this time, not even to improve the trigger pull. Put an AUG/A1 from 1977 and a new US-made A3 from last week on a table together (wish I could!), and the differences are slight.

Maybe.. but give me the Swarovski donut scope every time.

Regarding MA legality, see http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/116986-Steyr-AUG-MSAR-not-MA-legal

The new AUG A3/SA USA rifles just started shipping a few weeks ago. These come with a pistol grip, and a threaded barrel by default. The most common configuration for the new rifles is for the proprietary magazines, but there is also the "NATO Stock" available (also as a retrofit part) which does accept STANAG (AR-15) magazines.

The barrel threading on the AUG is unusual, an adapter is needed to use anything but their proprietary muzzle devices.

Not quite true. You can buy Vortex flash hiders, AAC surefire muzzle brakes, etc in the 13x1 LH thread pitch.

How reliable are they (very from what I can gather)? I know pre-ban mags exist but how plentiful and costly are they? Is it better to get one with the stock that accepts STANAG mags? Is there anything that can be done to make the trigger better? I'm in MA so I'd need the flash hider replaced with a muzzle brake. Do they accept AR15 muzzle brakes?

Thanks.

They are EXTREMELY reliable. If you would like explicit details, let me know and I can thoroughly explain my response.

The trigger can be "made better" by installing the "trigger tamer" and/or "neu trigger". I use neither, the triggerpack breaks in nicely.
There are also modifications besides those "devices" which can be done to the triggerpack, but it is not something you should be doing without thorough knowledge of how the AUG triggerpack functions. If you screw it up, a triggerpack is costly...

The barrel threading is 13x1 LH. you can have the barrel rethreaded to the AR type 1/2x28 RH pitch to accept the large amount of AR brakes available if needed. There are some companies (including popular muzzle devices) that come in 13x1 LH, you just need to search for them.

The AUG magazines are more durable and reliable than any USGI type magazine including PMAG's. Skip the USGI type magazines and solely use the AUG magazines. If anyone would like explicit details on why the USGI mags including PMAG's are inferior to factory AUG magazines, let me know and I will also completely explain the facts why.

"Preban" magazines do exist. You can tell exactly what date the magazine was manufactured by reading the date code as follows:

On the AUG magazines you can find an alphanumeric code, which consist of
a letter ( A,B, C,D, ....) and numbers (1, 2, 3, 4,....).

The letter is for the year, in which A is for 1983, B is for 1984 and so on.
The number is for the month i.e. 1 is January, 2 is February....
- Oliver Bauer Sales Manager Steyr Mannlicher Gmbh

Year codes:
A 1983
B 1984
C 1985
D 1986
E 1987
F 1988
G 1989
H 1990
I 1991
J 1992
K 1993
L 1994
M 1995
N 1996
O 1997
P 1998
Q 1999
R 2000
S 2001
T 2002
U 2003
V 2004
W 2005
Y 2007
Z 2008

Month Codes:

1 Jan
2 Feb
3 Mar
4 Apr
5 May
6 June
7 July
8 Aug
9 Sept
10 Oct
11 Nov
12 Dec

For "PREBAN" AUG magazines, the cutoff is September 13, 1994, which according to Steyr Mannlicher would be coded as "09/L" or "9/L"

Any other AUG specific questions, ask away...

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the new AUG used an updated version of the orig Aug Mag.

But, I was assuming the OP was a mass person, so to be safe/legal, he'd want to stick with Mass legal pre ban mags.

Steyr has not "updated" the AUG magazines since inception.

There are three versions of the AUG magazine.

1. Austrian mags. These come in a translucent greenish hue. They can be had in 30rd and 42rd versions. Both capacity magazines are extremely reliable and durable. There is no difference to magazine performance between the 30rd and 42rd mags. Both magazine capacities can be had with either Green or Black followers and baseplates. The Black follower/baseplate mags came a few years after the Green baseplate/follower mags with the introduction of the AUG-P (a black stock model sold to police agencies).
The mid 90's "USG" model came with a 10rd Austrian magazine. Those are sort of rare magazines (not monetarily rare, but just rare as in you don't see them often).

2. US made STEYR MANNLICHER LICENSED 30rd magazines. These were manufactured in the USA in 2008ish and early versions had troubles with the magazine spring not being to Steyr's specifications. You can differentiate these magazines by a "SQUARE" stamp around the "30" mark on the magazine. These mags are also slightly rare as they are hard to find due to a low production rate.

3. Austrian CLEAR magazine. These are completely translucent white see through 30rd magazines with black followers/baseplate. These are preban, rare, and costly. There were only 250 imported into the USA. I have one that is unused. [smile]

All of these mags below are "preban".
Left to right:
VERY EARLY non-date coded green 30rd mag, completely clear 30rd mag, black 30rd mag, black 42rd mag, green 42rd mag

IMG_9346.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 A1's, an A2, and an A3 AUG.
The A3 is nice, you will like it.

They are EXTREMELY reliable. If you would like explicit details, let me know and I can thoroughly explain my response.

The trigger can be "made better" by installing the "trigger tamer" and/or "neu trigger". I use neither, the triggerpack breaks in nicely.
There are also modifications besides those "devices" which can be done to the triggerpack, but it is not something you should be doing without thorough knowledge of how the AUG triggerpack functions. If you screw it up, a triggerpack is costly...

The barrel threading is 13x1 LH. you can have the barrel rethreaded to the AR type 1/2x28 RH pitch to accept the large amount of AR brakes available if needed. There are some companies (including popular muzzle devices) that come in 13x1 LH, you just need to search for them.

The AUG magazines are more durable and reliable than any USGI type magazine including PMAG's. Skip the USGI type magazines and solely use the AUG magazines. If anyone would like explicit details on why the USGI mags including PMAG's are inferior to factory AUG magazines, let me know and I will also completely explain the facts why.

"Preban" magazines do exist. You can tell exactly what date the magazine was manufactured by reading the date code as follows:

Year codes:
A 1983
B 1984
C 1985
D 1986
E 1987
F 1988
G 1989
H 1990
I 1991
J 1992
K 1993
L 1994
M 1995
N 1996
O 1997
P 1998
Q 1999
R 2000
S 2001
T 2002
U 2003
V 2004
W 2005
Y 2007
Z 2008

Month Codes:

1 Jan
2 Feb
3 Mar
4 Apr
5 May
6 June
7 July
8 Aug
9 Sept
10 Oct
11 Nov
12 Dec

For "PREBAN" AUG magazines, the cutoff is September 13, 1994, which according to Steyr Mannlicher would be coded as "09/L" or "9/L"

Any other AUG specific questions, ask away...

Great info. Thanks.

Thanks.

You buy one yet??? i'm curious.. if u did i'm jealous!!!

Not yet and I've decided I'm probably going to wait. I may have to liquidate some other hardware to make it happen.

One thing about anything AUG related is that it is not cheap*.

*unless you want a transferable registered receiver Steyr AUG which right now is less costly than a Colt M16. Triggerpacks are even less. AUG's are the hidden gem of the NFA world.

I added Green A3 CQC to the herd...

Upside: pure badassery.
Downside: everyone will want to kick your butt and steal your gun because it is so badass.

Back
Top Bottom