CAN ANYONE SCHOOL ME ON RANGEFINDERS

Good makes, models, name brands, types etc.

Saw an "INTERCEPTOR" brand on sale @ Dick's for $99 didn't know if it was any good?

What features do I look for and which ones do I stay away from?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Thanks in advance-DOWNWIND

Last edited:
I don't know the model, or the brand, but it's definitely cheap. That might come to the expense of quality. I have a Bushnell 1000ARC that I bought a few years ago for $300. I like that it has ARC compensation so it takes the angle you will shoot at into compensation, something I would definitely recommend. I thought $300 was pretty expensive, and although Bushnell typically is good value, I cannot say I am too impressed with it (I don't have anything else to compare to though). My biggest gripe is the viewfinder is kinda small so it makes the rangefinder a little difficult to use. It also has a lot of different modes, but it only has one button, so it's a little difficult to use. A lot of times it doesn't find the distance if it's several hundred yards, even though it's within the specs). It could be that the battery needs to be replaces though.. I also wish it had a illuminated display since it's difficult to read on a dark back ground, which you often will find yourself in while hunting.

If it's at Dicks' and for a $100, probably isn't good. However, depending on what you need it for, it may work for you.
Do some research on snipershide.com on range finders.

What is the application? I have a Bushnell 1500 and like it a lot. It was $400 and will range to 1500 yards. My understanding is that the Binoculars they make with the range finding are the bomb, but I have to handled a pair.

pict0679b.jpg

pict0685d.jpg

pict0681d.jpg

B

I have a Trupulse 360 and it works great. Good to over a 1000 yds....little pricey, retail for $1500, i got mine used but in mint cond for $700

I just ordered one last week from Cabelas, had some CC points to spend.. I ordered this.. Nikon ProStaff Team Realtree® 550 Laser Rangefinder
Should work well for me, had excellent reviews.

I found it the next day on Amazom for 20 cheaper, free shipping and it gets here in 2 bus. days... Cabellas, sucks, I won't see it till the 5th of Dec.... last time I'll order online from them unless I have to. I tried to cancel my order the next day when I realized the ridiculous shipping time from Pa to Ma... but they were clueless so I just decided to chill out, must be God giving me one of those patience tests..

here's a link: and I just noticed a $30 rebate coupon!!

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...b8849383c686&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

Last edited:
I check amazon and overstock.com all the time, sometimes you have to dig a little on the searches
Opticsplanet has also been high on my list when thinking of buying stuff.

Anyone else?

Suggestions?

THANKS-DOWNWIND
If you are going to get one get a good one. I bought an entry level one from Cabela's (don't remember the model) a couple of years ago. If I ranged the same object 5 times it on avg would give me 3 different distances +/- 2-3 yards. That was in my back yard w/no obstructions. They sent me a new one. The 2nd one was not any better.............

Last edited:
If you are going to get one get a good one. I bought an entry level one from Cabela's (don't remember the model) a couple of years ago. If I ranged the same object 5 times it on avg would give me 3 different distances +/- 2-3 yards. That was in my back yard w/no obstructions. They sent me a new one. The 2nd one was not any better.............

So what's a good one and how much does a good one cost?

So what's a good one and how much does a good one cost?

I looked it up, the one I had was a Bushnell Sport. Obviously you have to do some homework, some are better than others. Generally speaking I'd stay away from sub $150 class range finders. A hunting buddy has a $200-220 Leupold that performs well in the Northeast.

Last edited:
Application is everything. What are you ranging and how critical is an exact measurement of the range?

You can spend stupid money on them if you have it to burn.

B

Back
Top Bottom