• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can anyone recommend some .380 ammo?

In God We Trust

NES Member
First post here, sorry if it's in the wrong place. My wife got me a Ruger LCP for my birthday and I was wondering if anyone can recommend some ammo for it. Personal defense type. I usually carry a .38, but I love how small and light this gun is!

I used to carry Gold Dots in my ppk, bit once I could find them I switched over to Corbon Pow'r'ball. Nasty little round, do a search for it on YouTube.

Welcome to the forum. I've owned a Keltec since they came out, originally in .320acp and now in .380 acp. It's my everyday, no-matter-where-I-go carry pistol and I shoot the heck out of it.

More to the point the most critical thing you need to do now is become intimately familiar with that little pocket rocket so it performs for you properly should you need it. Shooting accurately and safely requires practice like any other sport. Shooting that particular pistol or any of the small, polymer based pistols like the Keltec requires even a bit more work. There's no mass to help with recoil so getting a firm grip on it and learning to get it quickly will be important. Gettting used to that long, gritty trigger also requires some getting used to. But, in a pinch, it will be a good hedge against an accidental discharge and will give you pause before you pull the trigger. In an emergency situation, you'll pull right through it without hesitatio.

Second, while it's always impressive to be able to shoot accurately at the back of the range, understand that we're talking about a 21' - 30' pistol here. I'd recommend that you practice with it at those distances and worry about longer shots later. The sights on these types of pistols are rudimentary and you're going to be shooting instinctively for the most part.

As for ammo, I usually just shoot .380 acp ball ammo. It's still tough to find. I've found Privi Partisan most commonly and it's a great ammo to become familiar with your new toy. Shooting up carry ammo that cost $.60 a pop will limit your practice however you should try it in your pistol at the end of your session just to make sure it works properly. I've found that the biggest problem with these types of pistol is that they "stovepipe" a lot probably the owners limpwrist them too much. IT won't take much, believe me. Also, some carry ammo tends to balk when feeding. It would be good to make sure that's not the case in your new Ruger.

Finally, look into the Crimson Trace laser attachment. Like the Keltec, it's molded to fit right over the trigger guard and is one of the slickist lasers you can imagine. I've got one on my Keltec just because it's a great intimidation tool. It may even stop someone from causing harm knowing that there is a laser pointed on their chest. I LOVE mine. But, it's not a true aiming tool because of the heavy trigger and short barrel.

Have fun with new pistol. It's amazingly innovative, super safe to carry because it is ALWAYS DAO so carry with one in the chamber.

Rome

I use Hornady Custom 90 gr XTP rounds for my 380. Its a great little personal defense round.

102 grain Remington Golden Sabers have outperformed all of the competition in every test i have seen or conducted. The 90 grain Hornandy rounds have performed second best in recent tests.

102 Grain Golden Sabers ride in both my LCP and P3AT

This is an informative thread. I carry PMC Gold SD rounds in my .380 carry gun but I might replace it with the Rem ammo based on what you guys are saying.

If you're anywhere near Middleboro, my shop has literally TONS (50+ boxes) of .380 ammo (FMJ & HP) at the best price we possibly can.

Thanks for all the input and the warm welcome guys. I live up north now and I hear that the ammo is hard to get. I drive through middleboro once a month or so, so I will stop by if I can't find any up here. The gun came with 7 rounds (horandy, not sure what grain but they are the HP with the red (plastic?) tip. I am used to small guns as I usually carry a S&W 442. I have been in love with that gun for a while now, but the LCP is going to be my new summer carry piece for sure.

For the most part when at the range, I work on instinctive shooting so I am not all that concerned about the crappy sight picture you get from this. My hands are kind of big, so the size is going to take some getting used to for sure. Thanks again guys, I will post my thoughts on the ammo when I get some range time in.

Hornady Critical Defense (hp w/ red tip) is what you have. It's great stuff, I use it in 380 and 9mm. I also have Remington golden saber, and a uber-rare box of Winchester Ranger .380.
Prvi Partizan or S&B in .380 makes great range ammo.

Avoid the Wolf .380 at all costs. I never had any luck with it.

102 grain Remington Golden Sabers have outperformed all of the competition in every test i have seen or conducted. The 90 grain Hornandy rounds have performed second best in recent tests.

Plus it has sealed primers, which can only be good.

I have a box of Winchester Ranger .380. I'll have to shoot them off eventually so when that happens I'll be looking for the Golden Sabers for the LCP and PPK/s.

I have a supply of Speer Gold Dot and Hornady FTX that I use during the warmer months. When it gets cooler, I switch to FMJ.
I'm far from a balistics expert, so I have to ask why? Does FMJ work better in the cold for some reason?

I went to Blue Northern today and all they had was some cheap plinking ammo (Of which I bought 3 boxes) and some gold dot hollow points. I read that the gold dot does not feed well in the LCP, but I am going to burn through a couple mags and see how it performs.

Last edited:
I'm far from a balistics expert, so I have to ask why? Does FMJ work better in the cold for some reason?

I went to Blue Northern today and all they had was some cheap plinking ammo (Of which I bought 3 boxes) and some gold dot hollow points. I read that the gold dot does not feed well in the LCP, but I am going to burn through a couple mags and see how it performs.

I would tend to think that in colder weather he would be shooting through more layers of clothing if he, unfortunately, ever had to use his firearm in defense. He would get better penetration through the extra layers with an FMJ, especially in a smaller round like a .380.

I would tend to think that in colder weather he would be shooting through more layers of clothing if he, unfortunately, ever had to use his firearm in defense. He would get better penetration through the extra layers with an FMJ, especially in a smaller round like a .380.
ahhhh good point. Never thought of that. I wonder if heavy clothing would really effect a .380 at close range (7-10 feet)?

The cheapest range ammo I've found is the steel cased Herters 90 gr FMJ stuff from Cabela's. I bought the bulk can and put about 150 rds through it yesterday with no problems. Also keep an eye on Walmarts and Dicks for cheap range ammo. As far as defensive ammo I'm learning from this thread so looks like we're gonna pick up some golden sabre. Good luck.

ahhhh good point. Never thought of that. I wonder if heavy clothing would really effect a .380 at close range (7-10 feet)?

The Hornady tests I've seen show that heavy clothing is not a problem for their CD 380's at close range, 6 or 7 inches of penetration through flannel and denim. Haven't found that stuff anywhere though, but I can't say I've been looking all that hard.

The cheapest range ammo I've found is the steel cased Herters 90 gr FMJ stuff from Cabela's. I bought the bulk can and put about 150 rds through it yesterday with no problems. Also keep an eye on Walmarts and Dicks for cheap range ammo. As far as defensive ammo I'm learning from this thread so looks like we're gonna pick up some golden sabre. Good luck.

You may want to try shooting a few boxes of R-GS and Hornady CD before making up your mind. I kinda like the CD better because there isnt as much flash/spark and "event" as the GS. It's all based on availability too, I carry Golden Sabre in my P380 and spare mag.

You might be interested in checking out another recent post here on NES that I'm linking to below.

The popular excuse for carrying an inadequate weapon is represented by the line: "The .380 I carry is better for me than the .44 I leave at home on the night stand." OK, maybe, and maybe not! I personally know (or knew) four people who used a .380 in a close range gunfight. Even though all shot really well (hitting the high chest multiple times in every case) none were successful in winning the fight. All the .380 users received grievous wounds.

This is not to say it has never worked for others. It obviously has. I just don't know anyone who has done it. It may be well worth your effort to find a way to carry something more effective. A .380 does not always beat a rock or a sharp stick. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You will shoot a larger gun better, as you should have discovered in Part 1 last month. If you must carry a .380, your best bet is to avoid trouble at all cost rather than rely on a gun that may be worse to pull out than to keep in your pocket.

Well, I realize that a .380 is not the optimal defensive round, It serves well enough for what I carry it for. I have live in an extremely safe area and I am not preparing for a gunfight. I own (and have carried) larger caliber handguns, my favorite being a Glock 21, but they are just too big for me to want to carry around. I usually carry a S&W 442 with +P hollow points, but even that is not a man killer caliber.

I just can't see some punk mugger or a couple of drunken redneck bullys or gang banger thugs taking a couple of .380 rounds center mass and still thinking about robbing / assaulting me. No, it will probably not be an instant kill, but all I am looking to do is break contact and CONTINUE my escape anyway. I emphasize "continue" because I would be briskly walking away from any sort of confontation before I ever offered deadly force in defense of my life. I have no pride to defend that is worth the BS that would come in the wake of a SD shooting.

I have much better weapons for home defense, revolution, armageddon or the zombie uprising (12 gauge winchester with 3" Magum 000 buck for starters) But for a backup or a pocket gun on 95 degree day going fishing or to the beach, the Ruger LCP can't be beat for its size weight and just enough punch to make my point!

Don't take too much offense at this, I'm offering this up for thought. I've carried little calibers before, and if you've read any of my posts here you'll see that I agree that something is better than nothing; fight with whatever you have.

I have live in an extremely safe area and I am not preparing for a gunfight.

What are you preparing for then?

I just can't see some punk mugger or a couple of drunken redneck bullys or gang banger thugs taking a couple of .380 rounds center mass and still thinking about robbing / assaulting me.

Have you heard of Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez? Or the Peter Soulis incident? It's very common for people to keep moving after taking handgun hits on US soil.

But for a backup or a pocket gun on 95 degree day going fishing or to the beach, the Ruger LCP can't be beat for its size weight and just enough punch to make my point!

The article I linked to before had another line in it that I agree with wholeheartedly.

But my argument is that if someone is going to leave the gun home they are going to leave the gun home. It is an internal commitment level that governs the decision to leave a gun home. It is not just confort.

It was over 100 degrees and humid down here yesterday and today. In addition to running a few miles outside on both days, I helped a friend move from one town to another yesterday as well. I did all this with a serious fighting pistol and spare ammo on my person. When I go to the beach, guns & ammo go into the beach bag. [grin]

Read my sigline; if a dirtbag felon streetfighter named Kimbo carries all the time (and he lives in FL too by the way), how will you prepare to meet and overcome him? Armed, violent felons live and work in big cities and small towns, and I'm willing to bet money that you've stood in line behind them at WalMart, talked to them at your work and seen them pushing their child down the street in a stroller.

With all that said, I had a P3AT and it was a great little "no excuses" gun, I carried it with FMJ ammo.

No offense taken at all GSG! If I knew everything, I would be too busy running the world to talk shop with you guys online. I admit that I have some concerns over stopping power with my guns and I know the world is full of scumbags. I guess I just don't want to carry a brick around with me all day long especially in the summer months. I carried the Glock 21 for a couple of years and finally got sick of it and invested in the J-frame .38. If 7 rounds of .380 or 5 of .38 +P (plus reloads for each one) don't stop the guy, then he can have my wallet.

It's all about compromise and I am willing to sacrifice some power for comfort. Like I said, I know these are "famous last words" but I really do live in Mayberry and I feel comfortable going around unarmed also when I am staying in town. the only time I even carry is when I am going out for the day or leaving town. I always have at least a tactical folder on my person (yes I know how to use it.) but violent crime in this area is pretty low. If we are going into any questionable areas like Boston for instance, we take the 9mm subcompact and a spare mag along with the .38!

Regarding the caliber statements, I'd rather tote a cell phone sized p380 with 2-mags / 12 rounds of 102gr golden sabre, than a .38 / .32 / .25 / .22 for it's inteded purpose, the "biggest" small carry gun with highest capacity in it's size. Similar concept for the Sig p238, LCP, Taurus 7xx series, etc etc. I've still got my eyes open for a PM9. I like the Kahr products and support, and it's only slightly bigger than the p380.

"If we are going into any questionable areas" as mentioned above, I agree... I have a G19, P229 357sig, and Kmiber 5" that would get the nod "if" known ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom