Campus Shooting @ UCLA

The unabomber was also an unhinged STEM graduate student, same with the guy who shot up colorado movie theater. Nobody seems to be pushing for mandatory background checks for engineering and sciences graduate school... yet ...

The unabomber was also an unhinged STEM graduate student, same with the guy who shot up colorado movie theater. Nobody seems to be pushing for mandatory background checks for engineering and sciences graduate school... yet ...

Engineers are more likely than the general population to be involved with terrorism. However, the cases that I'm familiar with the individuals have clean backgrounds before they do whatever it is they plan to do, so background checks are not very helpful.

People should be nicer to engineers. Even though I told lots of people about it, I received no gifts, cards, pastries, singing telegrams, hugs, IMs, texts, e-mails, handies, etc during Engineer's Week back in February.

Seriously though, engineers get shit upon. It's no wonder someone lost his shit over someone stealing something he considered his own.

ETA: I'm not cuckoo.

Last edited:
People should be nicer to engineers. Even though I told lots of people about it, I received no gifts, cards, pastries, singing telegrams, hugs, IMs, texts, e-mails, handies, etc during Engineer's Week back in February.

Seriously though, engineers get shit upon. It's no wonder someone lost his shit over someone stealing something he considered his own.

ETA: I'm not cuckoo.

Please note that this cuckoo clock was a STUDENT not an ENGINEER.

Engineers vs. other professions DO have a proven propensity towards terrorist acts. I think it is because engineers are trained to analyze a problem in a cold clinical sense, and devise a solution to it. If the problem is you do not like the USA, the answer is to engineer various solutions, be they bombs, IUDs, devices, hackings, biologicals, etc. Engineers are not really taught the human and ethical aspects of their work, the possible repercussions of their designs. Like osama bin laden, he was an engineer and asked...what if I flew a fully fueled plane into the world trade center...what would happen?

Obviously, 99.999% of the engineers are not mad men/terrorists. Still, that 0.001% can cause a shit ton of damage..

Obviously, 99.999% of the engineers are not mad men/terrorists. Still, that 0.001% can cause a shit ton of damage..

Engineers are more effective in general than most people. I'm sure there are plenty of communications majors who have homicidal thoughts, but they can't stop watching TV and eating captain crunch long enough to build a bomb.

Engineers are more effective in general than most people. I'm sure there are plenty of communications majors who have homicidal thoughts, but they can't stop watching TV and eating captain crunch long enough to build a bomb.

Wat8.jpg

Here's the page claiming he was Hindu. Note they offer no proof, either way: https://www.everipedia.com/mainak-sarkar/
Here's the page on the same site for the woman he murdered, Ashley Hasti, indicating she was his wife, probably separated, possible divorced: https://www.everipedia.com/ashleyhasti/

I'm going out on a limb and will predict that stories will leak out over the several days that he was at least somewhat socially inept, easily aggravated and/or angered, personally controlling, with low impulse control.

Back
Top Bottom