Cabela's in the news!

What I've had problems with is getting replacement parts for the outdoor gear and even some outdoor gear itself. Kayaking, biking and camping.
I've got a L.L.Bean "Woodlands" 6 person tent that they discontinued. Maybe if I break a pole I won't be able to get a replacement. At my request I'm sure they'd fix it for me. I get alot of comfort knowing if I ever bring it back even without a receipt they'll refund not only 100% of my purchase price but also the Maine sales tax. I know next to nothing about their bikes but I can tell you their upper end camping and hiking equipment are some of the best you can buy for the money. From time to time some of their gear gets "Editor Choice Awards" in Backpacker Magazine. That's PDG.[grin]

I have some bags that I bought about 15 years ago. Maybe a year or so ago, I lost one of the quick connect clips that holds the flap over down.

Anyway, I called LL Bean, they wanted a number off the tag. Said that they don't have that any longer, but can find a part that will work. They called back and said that they found one that might work, and sent me two different ones free of charge.

They also told me that if it didn't work, call back and they will find a bag that they carry today that will do the same thing and send it out to me at no charge.

ArmedMainer, I think that if you broke a part, they would just replace your tent with one comparable.

Of course it's going to cost more, as time goes on, things cost more. But LL Bean will give you what they have that has the same features that your current item has...at no cost.
I recently returned a Gerber that had starting corroding (after being used in a dry climate), they didn't seem to care what features it had -- just that my replacement couldn't cost a penny more. [thinking]

I recently returned a Gerber that had starting corroding (after being used in a dry climate), they didn't seem to care what features it had -- just that my replacement couldn't cost a penny more. [thinking]
At least they'd do that. Most places would've told you things don't last forever and to get over it. L.L.Bean is a step about its competition like Cabella's,KTP,and Bass Pro Shops when it comes to backing up their products.

No, I know this isn't true. I've returned good to Bean that could be returned for quality purposes several years later, the price had gone up, or the product had gone out of production, and have always been given something equal or better than what I'd bought - last item was a tent. I've returned clothing bought for my ex-husband that didn't fit my current husband (somehow they knew!! [laugh] ) and they actually gave me a full price credit to use on my next shopping trip. Now, if that isn't a good deal I don't know what is.

Almost every article of outerwear I own is from LL Bean and it lasts forever, as are much of the clothes I wear. Yea, they can be pricey, but their quality and their guarantee make it well worth it.

C-pher, as I recall it was a restriction on what can be served in restaurants.

Not at all sure about supermarkets, and not 100% certain what the laws are wrt selling prepared food either. I just recall some BS when health studies proposed alternative foods for restaurants, etc.

I was just served venison and blueberry sausage, and wild boar in a retaraunt in Norwell 2 nights ago. "53 South" - an outstanding place, but be prepared to spend.

Bob

While I think it'l be good for the area to have a real sporting goods store like cabela's here, I'm not too awfully excited. I mean how much of thier stuff do I really need now? I've got the hunting gear I need already. Depending on thier prices on ammo/reloading stuff I might frequent the store though. I've never heard anything pertaining to thier firearms inventories and prices so that'll be a trial and error thing. It may give me something to do for an extended lunch though.

To bad sooo many peple take advantage of it. That's what makes their prices what they are.

+1

I have only used it twice. Once for the shorts, and once for a part for my bag. But then, maybe it's because it's the only times I've had to use it... And I've been wearing Bean clothes and using Bean gear my whole life...or as much of it as I can remember. My dad had me in bean boots in the winters when I was a kid visiting him in Ohio. And they worked great back in the waters of NOLA when I was back with my Mom.

But most of my camping stuff came from Bean when I was in the Scouts as a kid.

But I have a some that I worked with that bought some shoes from them because he knew when they wore out, he could send them back for another pair. And I always told him that that wasn't what the guarantee was there for...but he didn't care. Jerk!

Back
Top Bottom