Cabela's Hartford Story

So, I was in Hartford the past few days for work, and figured I would check out Cabelas. So I type in "cabelas hartford" in google, and the first item is the map of it's location. I click get directions to here, and proceed to type in my hotels address. The address it brought me to was in a a residential section of in most likely the worst neighborhood in the city. Once I realized there was no Cabela's in the area and there were a number of people staring at me as I drove by, I just hauled a$$ out of there. When I typed the same thing into my blackberry, it gave me the correct address. Turns out it's a really nice store with really nice handguns that we can't get here in the commiewealth[sad].

I think I know what your problem was

I thought you put in the address and Cabela's is in East Hartford not Hartford. When I checked the google map like you did it even had you on the wrong side of the river. I wonder what really happened there.

Last edited:
I bought my Ruger Single Six from Cabelas. I paid their price but I also had to pay shipping and the $25 transfer fee at AAA Guns in West Springfield. So it is not as good as just buying it there then registering it when we get it back to MA w/o shipping or transfer fees but it still worked.

Same problem at Hoffmans in Berlin

I stopped at Hoffmans in Berlin also and the same problem.
Great prices till you factor in the shipping and transfer.
We just cain't get a break in Mass.
Pete's Gun Shop In Adams Mass has very good pricing on new guns as well as a great assortment of used guns.
It is well worth the ride over.

I stopped at Hoffmans in Berlin also and the same problem.
Great prices till you factor in the shipping and transfer.
We just cain't get a break in Mass.
Pete's Gun Shop In Adams Mass has very good pricing on new guns as well as a great assortment of used guns.
It is well worth the ride over.

Tom is a good guy....I have only purchased odds-n-ends from him, but he has always done right by me. I had a gun on consignment that did not sell here or at any other gun shop. Tom got me more than $100.00 over my expectations. I know most gun dealers despise Dicks Sporting Goods, but I send numerous customers looking for specifics his way and to Pats in Lanesboro as well...

As to Cabelas, I had the same Google experience and finally gave up. May try again next time I get down that way, (I was pressed for time).

Okay, perhaps someone can clarify the law for my. My understanding is that there are certain guns that must be registered here...IN MA...prior to the 1998 ban. Is this correct? I ask because I was looking for a nice Colt 1911 in polished stainless. In MA they were running $1200 - $1500. When I asked the reason, the dealers would say because they were in the state prior to the ban (this was numerous dealers). Now I go to a shop in NH and they have one in mint condition for $650. However, the NH dealer says he cannot transfer that to MA, even via an FFL for the aforementioned reason. Is this actually true, or just a bunch of crap???

Okay, perhaps someone can clarify the law for my. My understanding is that there are certain guns that must be registered here...IN MA...prior to the 1998 ban. Is this correct? I ask because I was looking for a nice Colt 1911 in polished stainless. In MA they were running $1200 - $1500. When I asked the reason, the dealers would say because they were in the state prior to the ban (this was numerous dealers). Now I go to a shop in NH and they have one in mint condition for $650. However, the NH dealer says he cannot transfer that to MA, even via an FFL for the aforementioned reason. Is this actually true, or just a bunch of crap???

the "ban" you are referring to does not exist. In 1998, a series of laws were passed that, among other things, prohibitied DEALERS from selling firearms that were not on "the list"

If a firearm is not on "the list" it must have been in state before 1998 for a dealer to sell it.

That means you can move into the state with a "banned" gun or buy a "banned" gun through a private transfer.

Thanks for the good information guys. Do I avoid those high "MA compliant" prices if I go private, or do most people just sell them around the same price? Case in point, the Springfield XDc .45 seems to be pricey around here.

Cabella's in East Hartford is a GREAT store. They have a ton of great guns that we can't buy here in MA. I drool and consider moving everytime that I am there.

But they also do have a lot of great stuff that we Ma**h***s can buy, like hard to find ammo.

Thanks for the good information guys. Do I avoid those high "MA compliant" prices if I go private,

Sure.... all you have to do is find someone willing to sell you a gun for less than market value.

Tom is a good guy....I have only purchased odds-n-ends from him, but he has always done right by me. I had a gun on consignment that did not sell here or at any other gun shop. Tom got me more than $100.00 over my expectations. I know most gun dealers despise Dicks Sporting Goods, but I send numerous customers looking for specifics his way and to Pats in Lanesboro as well...

As to Cabelas, I had the same Google experience and finally gave up. May try again next time I get down that way, (I was pressed for time).

I just went tonight. The best land mark to use is Pratt and Whitney. The Cabela store is in a development off the main enterance road to PW off Silver Lane, Once you head down that road you can not miss it. I think it is Airport Road.

Back
Top Bottom