CA City Buys Historic Gun Shop For $6M

I guess the city made the owners an offer that was at least market value or above without all the hassles of selling the business and property. Normally i would condemn the current owner who sold out however I don't have enough info on what really happened and you know the city would make things as difficult as possible for any prospective buyers.

They should have gotten the City for more than $6 mil. The City's operating budget is $345 mil.

They should reopen as close as possible and bigger and better.
Kinda sucks that Retting's was the only remaining LGS in Culver City.

Given the trend of California laws (much less LA county), no sense in reopening.
It's a bid idea to open a gun store near an elementary school. The kids don't have enough money to buy much, anyways.
The school predates the gun store, but the "No gun stores with 1,000 ft of a school" law is recent -- the whole thing started because Culver City didn't like how the grandfather clause could apply not only to the Retting family, but also to new owners...

The California Department of Justice reported in 2022 that a number of firearms used in crimes and suspected crimes around the state were purchased from the shop.

They are always happy to prop up the danger concept. A number of firearms...in 65 years, obviously none used in a school shooting or they would have made sure you knew that.

They don't even say if the firearms (even the "suspected" ones) were committed by the original owner or were stolen.

1.48% of their guns out of 69,081 guns sold according to CA's report.

Culver City (Crime guns per 1000 people, .98 and Crime guns per 1000 people over 18, 1.22).

Compton (Crime guns per 1000 people, 60.37 and Crime guns per 1000 people over 18, 83.99).

Seems like a lot of not in my town anti-gun liberals are at the root of this issue. Gun crime from that store is very low.

Their poison spreads everywhere.

Last edited:
The California Department of Justice reported in 2022 that a number of firearms used in crimes and suspected crimes around the state were purchased from the shop. They are always happy to prop up the danger concept. A number of firearms...in 65 years, obviously none used in a school shooting or they would have made sure you knew that.
Chicago likes to use this same tactic, they pump up the count of "crime guns" and then compare the little local shop which carries a lot of pistols to the big box store which only stocks 3 kinds of rifles and shotguns.

In this case, CA-DOJ says of the 69K guns sold by Retting over the years, about 1K (1.48%) appeared in police records, conveniently ignoring that many "Big 5 Sporting Goods" stores are listed as an even higher percentage!

They don't even say if the firearms (even the "suspected" ones) were committed by the original owner or were stolen.

California DOJ really worked hard to bulk up their numbers:
AB 1191 Report said:
For this report “crime guns” are identified in the Automated Firearms System (AFS) as records that have been logged as a crime gun, or entered into “evidence” records. “Evidence” records are included because law enforcement agencies may enter firearms as evidence in connection to their use or suspected use in a crime, but not log it as a crime gun. As such, using “evidence” records provides a more complete accounting for crime guns in AFS."
So they roped in piles of firearms merely encountered by police, or turned in at "buy backs", not just actual crime guns?

It's a bid idea to open a gun store near an elementary school.

The kids don't have enough money to buy much, anyways.
This, not sure how a gun shop being physically close to a school affects crime...

Apart from whether they were stolen or not I'd also be interested in the crimes these "crime guns" were involved in. How many were eventually determined to be justified shootings, lawful possession during a misdemeanor that didn't involve a firearm, or firearms charges dropped in some other way?

I'LL SAY IT! THANK GOD SOMEONE WAS THINKING OF THE KIDS FOR ONCE!

As young adults, the new community center they'll create in that building will be a great source for them to get hard to find (as a kid) ammo, maybe even a gat hidden under a floorboard.

Where else are kids SUPPOSED to get guns and ammo?

Kinda sucks that Retting's was the only remaining LGS in Culver City.

Given the trend of California laws (much less LA county), no sense in reopening.

The school predates the gun store, but the "No gun stores with 1,000 ft of a school" law is recent -- the whole thing started because Culver City didn't like how the grandfather clause could apply not only to the Retting family, but also to new owners...
My dad served with the founder of Retting's, in WWII.

They should reopen as close as possible and bigger and better.

They don't want to. They want out.

I'd feel some kind of way if the city was "forcing them out of business," but they're not. The current owners don't want to be the owners no more.

They don't want to. They want out.

I'd feel some kind of way if the city was "forcing them out of business," but they're not. The current owners don't want to be the owners no more.
Oh okay I hope somebody that has big money and loves to stick it to liberals builds a brand new gun store in their town.

Oh okay I hope somebody that has big money and loves to stick it to liberals builds a brand new gun store in their town.
They wouldn't be grandfathered in to the "1000 feet" rule, which the city is looking to expand greatly, if not just ban all new FFLs:

culvercitynews said:
They asked that no gun sellers can operate within 1,000 feet of sensitive areas, which they define as school, parks and playgrounds, and they wish to expand the definition to include places of worship, bars, preschools, childcare centers, polling locations, nursing homes, hospitals, colleges, libraries, theaters, and anywhere that families gather. Again, the group asked for an emergency moratorium on new gun businesses.

Back
Top Bottom