C&R Thread

I just got my C&R license a few days ago, and can't wait to get my money's worth! [smile] I have some questions about C&Rs and MA laws that I'm hoping someone here might be a able to answer for me. I figured I'd just bump this thread, rather than starting a new one. And I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

I'm no longer a MA resident (thank god), but live just a short drive over the border in RI. If I were to find C&R eligible firearm at a gun shop close by in MA, could I buy it on the spot and take possession right away and transport it back home, or would I have to have it shipped to me because I no longer have a MA license? Would FOPA somehow apply here if I'm going directly home where I am licensed? Does it make a difference whether it's a rifle versus a handgun?

Thanks in advance!

Frank
Is your LTC still active or has it expired? Ray is correct but I was curious if you just recently moved out of MA

No LTC in Mass, not legal to possess guns in Commonwealth. Simple.

FOPA might help you in Court, but how/where/when you bought it won't make a diff to joe copper who pulls you over and finds out you have a gun. And it's his day.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured, having lived in MA for 60+ years, and knowing how F'd up it is. So, I can still at least save on the no transfer fee, but still have to pay for shipping. Have I mentioned yet that I'm soooo glad to be out of there?!? Anyway, I'm actually working on the LTC part. I have my interview for a non-resident permit coming up next month.

Frank

Is your LTC still active or has it expired? Ray is correct but I was curious if you just recently moved out of MA

The expiration date on my LTC isn't until February of '23, but I did notify the state that I moved out, within the required 30 days. That was over a year ago. Figured I'd be a good boy and do all the required notifications, in case I wanted to apply for a non-res permit...which I'm in the process of doing.

Frank

Last edited:
I have had my C&R since the 90's my bound book looks like the yellow pages, but this week will be the last purchase
I make with it,I have acquired some very nice C&R firearms threw the years,and have most everything that I ever wanted.
The days of finding a good deal on surplus firearms are long gone,but you can still find some nice stuff on GunBrokers,
Simpson LTD, and Legacy Collectibles.

I just got my C&R license a few days ago, and can't wait to get my money's worth! [smile] I have some questions about C&Rs and MA laws that I'm hoping someone here might be a able to answer for me. I figured I'd just bump this thread, rather than starting a new one. And I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

I'm no longer a MA resident (thank god), but live just a short drive over the border in RI. If I were to find C&R eligible firearm at a gun shop close by in MA, could I buy it on the spot and take possession right away and transport it back home, or would I have to have it shipped to me because I no longer have a MA license? Would FOPA somehow apply here if I'm going directly home where I am licensed? Does it make a difference whether it's a rifle versus a handgun?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Have the gun shipped to you in RI. Or, if you find a private seller in Mass, try and get the private seller to come to RI for the transfer. People who aren't RI residents can possess guns in RI for situations like gun sales under RIGL 11-47-9(a) and 11-47-10.

... if you find a private seller in Mass, try and get the private seller to come to RI for the transfer. People who aren't RI residents can possess guns in RI for situations like gun sales under RIGL 11-47-9(a) and 11-47-10.
And you think it's not a Federal crime for J. Random Masshøle to sell a gun in Rhode Island because...?
ETA: Oops, C&R => not obviously a crime.

Last edited:
And you think it's not a Federal crime for J. Random Masshøle to sell a gun in Rhode Island because...?

Cite the specific subsection you're concerned about because I'm not seeing one where a FFL can't buy a gun from a non-resident, non-FFL in the FFL's home state. There's subsections involving selling to nonresidents, but not buying from nonresidents.

The only one I can see potential issues with is (a)(5):

for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides[.]

The bold and underlined creates an exemption for a non-FFL to sell to a FFL, including a 03, that resides in a state other than which the non-FFL resides.

***This does not constitute legal advise

Cite the specific subsection you're concerned about because I'm not seeing one where a FFL can't buy a gun from a non-resident, non-FFL in the FFL's home state. There's subsections involving selling to nonresidents, but not buying from nonresidents.
Son of a bitch, the C&R FFL part totally went over my head.
[angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry]
And the statutory language seems exquisitely crafted - very deliberate.

Profound apologies for that.

I've now got no objection from what I was looking at in 922.

Have the gun shipped to you in RI. Or, if you find a private seller in Mass, try and get the private seller to come to RI for the transfer. People who aren't RI residents can possess guns in RI for situations like gun sales under RIGL 11-47-9(a) and 11-47-10.

The only one I can see potential issues with is (a)(5):

The bold and underlined creates an exemption for a non-FFL to sell to a FFL, including a 03, that resides in a state other than which the non-FFL resides.

I was HOPING you'd chime in! With most people here on the MA side of the border, it's great having a resource who is knowledgeable in RI laws (not that the others here who have contributed haven't also been very helpful). Hope you're enjoying NH! And thanks.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom