C&R Next year, do I log it in?

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I bought a pistol today that was made in 1958. Next year it will become C&R eligible.

When I own a gun that "becomes" a C&R, am I required to then log it in my Bound Book and treat it as a C&R that I bought?

Man, these Massachusetts laws are so screwed up someone should turn them into a comedy on TV..... except no one would get the joke... except us.

Man, these Massachusetts laws are so screwed up someone should turn them into a comedy on TV..... except no one would get the joke... except us.
You're talking about a Federal C&R license? What does MA law have to do with it?

IIRC, you don't need to log it as a C&R since you bought it as a non-C&R. If you go to sell it you would log it.

You do however need to file a FA-10 on it if you are in MA.

IIRC, you don't need to log it as a C&R since you bought it as a non-C&R. If you go to sell it you would log it.

You need to be careful with that statement.

Even if a dealer refuses to accept your C&R FFL and insists on doing a 4473/NICS and FA-10, if it is a C&R by Fed Law, it MUST be logged in the book when you take possession of it.

YOU (C&R FFL) are the Licensee and have to follow their rules, regardless of how you acquire the gun.

If you owned the gun prior to getting your C&R FFL, then they do not want you to log it in until you dispose of it. [e.g. you could have bought it as a C&R prior to getting your C&R FFL, or it could have turned into a C&R at any time after you acquired it]

Pretty sure this is in the Q&A FAQ on the BATFE website (and in one of their books).

Back
Top Bottom