C&R local PD involvement

I'm pretty sure that at the Federal level the C&R FFL is "shall issue" - or at least there have to be concrete, objective criteria that you're not meeting for them to deny you. Denial of an LTC can be completely subjective, so they're completely separate issues.

I'm pretty sure that at the Federal level the C&R FFL is "shall issue" - or at least there have to be concrete, objective criteria that you're not meeting for them to deny you. Denial of an LTC can be completely subjective, so they're completely separate issues.

Correct. I believe LenS was saying that in spite of this, if a CLEO makes enough noise ATF may deny your license even if you are technically legally allowed to have it. I've never really heard of this happening, but I wouldn't doubt it either.

JD, I can think of some examples from my days on the PD. I'll paint a few for-instances (that may or may not rise to the level of denial of a C&R, but just as examples from real life):

- The PD KNEW that two people were breaking into houses, but didn't have enough evidence to arrest and try them (until a friend ratted them out after they robbed his home). They hit at least 20 houses and did numerous break-ins at a local club's out-buildings (stealing and creating thousands in damage).

- An individual was a very serious self-abuser that the PD responded to his home numerous times. Definitely someone not mentally balanced.

I could see a local CLEO bringing these things to the attention of BATFE for use in issuing a C&R FFL (or not).

You'd be surprised at how much your local PD knows about people who've never been convicted of anything.

Len, be careful, that rifle you have as an avatar has a folding stock!!!!! No no in ma. and also that appears to be a pre ban mag as well....your C+R may be denied[rofl] just kidding

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone which is how this came about. I was talking with the firearms officer and what I previously said happened. He said 'oh your into the automatics' at which time I made it clear that this wasn't a machine gun license app, just a C&R so that I could collect old guns and have them shipped. He then said he understood and that they didn't give many of these out.

To be fair, since a C&R is one way to be considered a "bona-fide" collector by law and thus eligible for a machine gun license, it's entirely possible that he's giving you some unofficial advice - they don't give out many machine gun licenses, and if that's the only reason for the C&R you might want to reconsider.

To be fair, since a C&R is one way to be considered a "bona-fide" collector by law and thus eligible for a machine gun license, it's entirely possible that he's giving you some unofficial advice - they don't give out many machine gun licenses, and if that's the only reason for the C&R you might want to reconsider.

I specifically told him when he said something about auto's that it wasn't my intention. I joked with him about the cost of ammo and how I can't afford to shoot like that. I explained it was for C&R, to get the FFL for shipping, and my private collection. He still said that 'we don't give many of those out'.

After being informed of their actual involvement with the C&R process I'm going to forget this guy even made those statements. He already gave me my ALP and now was saying this? He was a great guy before so I'm going to forget this instance, he really helped me when I was doing my paperwork for the LTC.

Back
Top Bottom