C&r Ffl

To apply for and get a C&R you don't need either...However to lawfully own (in Mass) the guns you buy w/ that license you would need the proper MA license as well...

Sofor example:
If you only had an FID you could buy all the K98's you want/afford...
If you had a LTC you could buy all the WW2 high powers you want/afford...
If you had a green card you could buy all the MG42's you want/afford...

To apply for a C&R FFL license there is no requirement for any type of state level permit. The federal government does not care if you have a state level license or not.

As Securityboy pointed out, to possess any of the guns you might buy with a C&R FFL, you will need to have the appropriate MA license. The federal license does NOT take the place of any state licenses required for gun ownership in MA. If you are buying out of state, the seller won't care about you having a MA license. I am not so sure about if you are buying a C&R in-state.

I got my C&R with a FID no problem. But be aware that a couple of places won't sell to anyone under 21.

To If you are buying out of state, the seller won't care about you having a MA license.

Yes they will, at least with the ones I've dealt with.

By law, all dealers are supposed to ensure that the transaction complies with Fed and State Laws. Thus, they should ask for your MA FID/LTC as well. If they don't they aren't complying with the BATFE requirements.

As Emoto put it so well, you need a MA LTC or FID to possess and/or purchase the appropriate class of gun (or ammo for same).

By law, all dealers are supposed to ensure that the transaction complies with Fed and State Laws. Thus, they should ask for your MA FID/LTC as well. If they don't they aren't complying with the BATFE requirements.

As Emoto put it so well, you need a MA LTC or FID to possess and/or purchase the appropriate class of gun (or ammo for same).

Ammo for the same?

Are you sure about that?

I thought FID was good for all ammo.

No, legally someone with an FID is NOT supposed to be able to buy ammo for a pistol. Some shops may ignore it while others may ask if it's for a rifle or pistol if all you produce is an FID.

Nothing prevents the buyer from lying however, so this is meaningless especially as damn near every pistol caliber is available in some carbine too.

No, legally someone with an FID is NOT supposed to be able to buy ammo for a pistol. Some shops may ignore it while others may ask if it's for a rifle or pistol if all you produce is an FID.

Nothing prevents the buyer from lying however, so this is meaningless especially as damn near every pistol caliber is available in some carbine too.

Out of all the places where I've bought 9mm (including Dicks), none of them have asked me if it was for a rifle or pistol or not sold to me. But your point still stands though.

I usually get in an argument at Wal-Mart, where they are trained to ONLY ask for an FID card no matter what you are buying. Some day the AG is going to sting them but good, sending in a "ringer" with an FID who asks for pistol ammo (and tells them it's for a pistol) . . . the next day they will get whacked for a fine and lose their MA Dealers' licenses.

More mass goofyness! Not like ammo poses any more threat without a gun as a broken coke bottle does. [rolleyes]

Still why not buy 9mm ammo for a glock with your FID? You just can't OWN or shoot that pistol without the LEGAL OWNER there. Hell in Maine I was buying ammo for YEARs without owning a single gun myself. I was buying to feed OTHER people's guns when they took me shooting.

If somebody with an FID can come with me to the range and shoot my 1911, why can't s/he help with the ammo buy?

Skrew this state!

-Weer'd Beard

I just bought 100 rounds of 9mm from Walmart for the first time, guy looked at my FID and didn't ask me about age (although I suppose he saw it from the FID) and never asked me if it was for a rifle or a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom