C&R expires in 8 days still nothing in the mail

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I sent off my renewal for my C&R about 6 weeks ago, at the same time the bank sent me a new credit card so naturally the C&R application bounced. They sent me a nice letter requesting a check which I dutifully sent off about 4 weeks ago. The check still hasn't been cashed although the priority envelope was delivered to BATFE.
I am assuming that my C&R becomes invalid the days it expires and unless I get my new C&R by then I cannot buy anything, which is good and bad.

The question is once my C&R is expired do I just ditch my bound book since once your C&R is expired you are not required to keep it and if I don't get a new C&R I can simply toss it, or would you wait a few weeks to see if a new one comes in?

I may try to remember to call them in the next couple days. Wouldn't mind ditching the book but the problem is having to go through the process of applying again and the fingerprints and all.

Not for a C&R. Just recycle it. I let mine expire on purpose to remove the records from existence

Yeah, got my wires crossed on that...

Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector's license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity?

No. The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearm “business” is discontinued. A license as a collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. This is in contrast to firearm importers, manufacturers, and dealers who are licensed to engage in a firearms business. Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collector's licenses are not renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.

https://www.atf.gov/faq-page/306#t306n12301

Unlikely, even if they mail it to you 2 months late, it will likely have the same base # and expiration date (+3 yrs) so it will still be a renewal.

It's if you don't apply until after expiration that you get the privilege of starting over and trashing your BB.

My chief dragged his feet at getting back to BATFE once, delaying my renewal.

Unlikely, even if they mail it to you 2 months late, it will likely have the same base # and expiration date (+3 yrs) so it will still be a renewal.

It's if you don't apply until after expiration that you get the privilege of starting over and trashing your BB.

My chief dragged his feet at getting back to BATFE once, delaying my renewal.
Len, I don't get the "Getting back to BATFE" part. Jack.

Len, I don't get the "Getting back to BATFE" part. Jack.

Apparently BATFE sends a query to our local chief on C&R renewals (at least in MA) and wait on a response before processing. That is what I was told by the BATFE lady that handled MA C&Rs a number of years ago.

just call BATF and ask them

Yes, call and ask what the hold-up is. Then if it is the local chief, kindly give him a call and ask him to expedite the response.

Back
Top Bottom