Buying my first Trap/Clays gun

WickedSharp

NES Member
Hi guys,

Is there a place near Andover, MA that I can go to get GOOD information about sizing, features, etc.. for my first sporting clays shotgun? I want to spend some time with someone who will really help me get the best gun for ME.

Thanks

My advice is to get a decent gun, but don't spend too much just yet. Some of the guys I have shot with have 2k+ guns and still can't shoot for shit. If you are already sporting clays, you might be best talking to some of the fellow shooters and getting some advice from them..... Also I am going to move this into the firearms forum. You'll get more replies on the topic.

Thanks, wasn't sure where to put the thread.

I really need someone to help me figure out how to buy a clays gun that fits me correctly.

I'm not sure if you have shot clays before, but one thing you might consider first before worrying about buying and fitting is to a club and try out someone's gun. There are tons of regular skeet shoots open to the pubic around here. Usually there is either a club gun available or most people are willing to let you use theirs. And most of these guys can offer you some great advice. At my club for example there are two former Olympians.

That way you'll get to see what feels best for you. For example, there is a huge difference in shooting four or five rounds of skeet with a semi-auto as opposed to a O/U. Also, 20 ga vs 12 ga. Barrel length is also something.

The other thing I might suggest is to go the forums at www.shotgunworld.com They have some really specialized areas

Have fun!

Last edited:
Depending on how NW of Boston you really are, you could always take a trip up to Kittery Trading Post and browse through thier shotgun section. I did this when looking for a shotgun that fit me well. With the butt stock firmly in your shoulder, you should have a good cheek weld and be able to look down the bbl to the bead on the end without having a lot of the vented rib visible. Some shotguns fit me good, while others didn't. Once you see what ones fit you good, you should come back to the forum and see if anyone has one you could shoot. The folks here will have whatever model you'd like to try.

Come on over to Westford Sportsmen's Club any Saturday morning at 9:00 and you can get suggestions from 30-40 people shooting clays, maybe even shoot a round or two yourself.

Ken

>>Come on over to Westford Sportsmen's Club any Saturday morning at 9:00<<

I wish you'd start a little later in the winter. It's too danged cold at 9AM! [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom