Consigliere
NES Member
Check this out:
bulk.jpg

One of three boxes of 6000 Hornady .224" 55gr FMJBT

Hey Jim, are you using them to make "shot shells" for your 500s? [rofl]

I can't imagine you shooting such "lightweight" bullets! [wink] [devil]

So much for any notional of a bullet shortage. That's a haul, Jim. [smile]

$1200 shipped, that works out to $66.67 per 1000.

I used to get the same bullets for $55/1000, but I see them going for $120/1000 now so I stocked up.

Last edited:
2hanging111.jpg

There are two cute little rascals just barely hanging on the edge of the box, grab em before they fall and distort. [rolleyes]

My purchases seem rather minuscule in comparison. [sad]

What kind of load do you use for those?

I just bought 1000 (4x 250 packs) of the exact same bullets, but I have never loaded 55's.

Hehehe

I had my local gun shop ORDER them for me! I never rely on having them "on the shelf" at the shops. And, they are always happy to have an order go through that:
1) Boosts their dollars with the distributor, makes them more important with the distributor.
2) Constitutes a FIRM SALE. No laying out of their dollars, hoping (in a "normal ammo situation) that someone will buy them.
3) Generates a cash flow for them which always makes them smile and say, "Thank you!"

I can usually get somewhat of a deal from the dealer when I have them order them for me. Sure, I have to wait, but I typically don't have the kinds of waiting times you get when dealing with the big box on-line retailers. And, it helps me cement my relationship with the local shop, who I feel strongly compelled to support whenever possible.

While you might get an initial, "Oh I have no idea when they'd come in....." response, the parts always seem to show up faster than anyone expected.

Most of the shops in New England get their supplies (primers, powders, etc) from the same place in CT.

It works for me.

Me too!

Give up your primer source and I'll tell you where to get the bullets.

Any loads that you see someone post are JUST AN OPINION, and should be verified with scientific reloading data.

I strongly suggest that you get a CURRENT copy of a reliable reloading book (I tend to really like the Speer book, currently Edition #14), which will give you reloading data for the 55 grain hollow point boat tail bullets. It's data that will be based on pressure tests in laboratory conditions. You'll get starting load info, as well as max load data. You'll also get bullet seating/overall length data for the round.

No one should ever reload based on hearsay opinion information. Reload only from published scientific reloading data.

What kind of load do you use for those?

I just bought 1000 (4x 250 packs) of the exact same bullets, but I have never loaded 55's.

Any loads that you see someone post are JUST AN OPINION, and should be verified with scientific reloading data.

I strongly suggest that you get a CURRENT copy of a reliable reloading book (I tend to really like the Speer book, currently Edition #14), which will give you reloading data for the 55 grain hollow point boat tail bullets. It's data that will be based on pressure tests in laboratory conditions. You'll get starting load info, as well as max load data. You'll also get bullet seating/overall length data for the round.

No one should ever reload based on hearsay opinion information. Reload only from published scientific reloading data.

Do you have an opinion on this matter?

I am simply wondering things like what powders people prefer!

OK, here's my opinion then.....

I tend to like BLC(2) powder (made by Hodgdon) for my 5.56 loads (using those 55 grain bthp bullets shown). I won't tell you how much, look it up.

Do you have an opinion on this matter?

I am simply wondering things like what powders people prefer!

I like 25grs of of H335 for the 55gr bullets, but I can't find the stuff. I did lay in a bunch of A2230 that I'm going to use for these. I haven't loaded any yet so I can't tell you how much to use.

Last edited:
I like 55grs of H335, but I can't find the stuff. I did lay in a bunch of A2230 that I'm going to use for these. I haven't loaded any yet so I can't tell you how much to use.

Oh you actually measure powder? I thought you just put as much as you could fit. [wink]

Just stay away from powder that results in "compressed loads" for starting weights. <<<<shivers>>>>

Yea...most of the varget loads for the Hornady 68gr OTM seem to compress a bit... Good bullet though, shoots real nice.
I just hate the feeling of compressing the powder though....

Steve

Back
Top Bottom