Buying ammo online

GunGrey

Banned
So whats the laws concerning buying ammo online and having it shipped to an address in CT. I know that mass you really have no options to have ammo shipped to your house, but what about a lil further south in ct.

It's been reported that some vendors put CT on their "banned list" as well. Seems to be no reason for that, but each company makes its own policies and who knows if the CT AG has rattled sabers, copying the MA AGs?

I had a friend who lives in MA. He ordered ammo online and had it shipped to his friend in CT and it worked out. He tried it with another vendor and was told that the credit card address was from MA so therefore they couldn't sell to him regardless of the destination.
YMMV

There's no issue whatsoever. But I'll also point out that it's PERFECTLY legal to ship ammunition to a resident in MA and many vendors do so, either willingly or out of ignorance. I wouldn't even bother calling. Just try different places and see which ones ship to you. I've done that and it's worked fine.

Believe it or not, there are companies out there that haven't succumbed to the FUD spread under a previous AG. If you've had the chance to read the cases filed against a couple of vendors back in '02 ish, you'd see just how silly the state's case was.

I have never had any issue from any vendor shipping ammo or anything to CT...be aware though if you are from Mass some vendors will not ship to CT if your CC Billing Address is in MA.

It's been reported that some vendors put CT on their "banned list" as well. Seems to be no reason for that, but each company makes its own policies and who knows if the CT AG has rattled sabers, copying the MA AGs?
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!

That is 100% Totally, Completely, WRONG. Please do not spread fear, uncertainly and doubt on the interwebs.

It is very simple and legal to buy ammo on-line in CT.

ALL of the following happily ship to CT. In fact I've NEVER heard of an on-line ammo vendor refusing to ship to CT.

www.aimsurplus.com ++
www.ammunitiontogo.com ++
www.ammoman.com +
http://www.classicarms.us/ ++-
www.gamaliel.com
www.grafs.com
www.midwayusa.com +
www.natchezss.com +
www.sportsmansguide.com +- (sometimes they list ammo as available even though it's backordered)
www.wideners.com +

ALL OF THEM SHIP TO CT.

Here is a good discussion on the best places to buy on CTguntalk.com (Thats CT for CONNECTICUT)

http://www.ctguntalk.com/testforum/YaBB.pl?num=1230393021

Last edited:
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!

That is 100% Totally, Completely, WRONG. Please do not spread fear, uncertainly and doubt on the interwebs.

It is very simple and legal to buy ammo on-line in CT.

My info came from a thread on AR15.com in the Hometown Forum (New England). I suggest that you read it and react there. Someone reported trying to buy stuff mail-order and finding that the company put CT on their "banned list".

So don't tell me that I'm wrong in posting here. Go rant there (the source) and straighten it out.

Just like in MA, it's not illegal to order mail-order. Most companies won't ship, but that does not mean that every company won't ship to MA either.

One misinformed company and it spreads like wildfire. The companies I listed above, which together encompass about 99% of all online ammo sales will happily ship to CT.

Link to AR15 thread??
(So I can set them straight also)

Don

Last edited:
One misinformed company and it spreads like wildfire. The companies I listed above, which together encompass about 99% of all online ammo sales will happily ship to CT.

Link to AR15 thread??
(So I can set them straight also)

Don

I searched ARfcom but I can only do that going back 30 days (forum limitation and my post here that you responded to was from 10/15, so my search window was probably too narrow) and did not find it in Hometown-New England forum. Did the same with the Legal forum with the same results. [thinking] If I find it, I'll post a link. I'm not ignoring you nor did I make that up. Hopefully it wasn't another forum that I spotted it on.

Don,

OK, mea culpa, I was wrong about ammo . . . the threads on ARfcom were about semi-auto rifles (ALL models) and AR style lowers. Sorry for the mix-up. Here are the threads that raised the issues.

Bud's Gun Shop thread refusing to sell semi-auto long guns to CT - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=422237

Big pissing contest about CDT refusing to ship any semi-auto long guns to CT - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=424245

Thread on AR style lowers - no sale to CT - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=427267

AR style lowers from above thread - https://surplusammo.com/index.php?m...id=818&zenid=e6829c415ac25308390ee4cb469c4e8c

Len,
I'm sorry I got all worked up. We all fall for it. We parrot things we read without really investigating. I've done it.

Re companies being unwilling to sell rifles in CT. Its pretty confusing with our Assault Weapon Ban. Confusing enough that I understand why they would not want to take the risk of getting it wrong and ending up with problems with their FFL.

For example, you can own an AK in CT as long as it doesn't have folding stock , threaded bbl, flash suppressor or bayo lug. (keeps it in line with the evil features part of the law)
The AK however, can not be in 7.62x39. A judge ruled that for a clone to be an "ak type" as stated in the named guns part of the law it had to have interchangeable parts with an AK. That meant anything in another caliber (which does not have 100% parts interchangeability) is legal.

For example, I have a neutered Arsenal SLR105 AK74 in 5.45x39. I don't miss anything but the threaded bbl to accept a brake. Mine's got a standard crowned muzzle. Also at $120 per 1080 rounds, from Aim, its pretty cheap to shoot.

But wait, there's more. If the gun is pre ban and not 7.62x39, it can have the folding stock, threaded bbl, and flash suppressor.
I've got a pre-ban Norinco AK in .223/5.56x45 that fits that description. Its great to shoot and since I can reload .223, not that expensive to shoot.

The law is even grayer with AKs re the threaded bbl. The law says:
a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer

But on AK74s the threads are on the front sight base, not the barrel. So is a threaded FSB illegal if it serves the same purpose as a threaded bbl?? Some say NO. I'm not sure, but i'm not at a point in my
life where I can afford to be the test case. (42 with 2 young girls)

This is just to illustrate how convoluted it can get with just the AK. There are several other named guns that get pretty interesting. The Mini 14/30 is another. You can have a pre-ban folding Mini 30, but not a mini 14, because the 14 is named and the 30 is not. Are we having fun yet??

Don

p.s. for reference: http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

Last edited:
Any of the douchebag/commie states will have companies that won't ship stuff there. CT is one of them, although it is cited far, far less often than MA is.

-Mike

Proof of age is a Federal Law, correct? I don't believe CT has any State laws in terms of age for buying/possessing ammo.....
I have never had any issues buying ammo, firearms, standard capacity magazines or anything gun related online.

Last edited:
I've never had problems ordering ammo here in CT. What I have encountered with a couple suppliers are issues mentioned earlier with semi-auto rifles even if they are compliant with CT regs. Still there are plenty of companies out there who are ok with it. I've purchased plenty of firearms on my C&R that way.

The one and most dumbest problem I've seen is with Sportmen's Guide. They will ship me AR15 kits, ammo, and just about anything else but they will NOT ship knives to CT. Don't know why. I can't figure it out and, frankly, don't care to since they don't have anything I'd want anyway. But that is a wierd situation.

Rome

I have had a TOUGH time buying ammo online with a Mass billing address even though the ammo is being shipped to PA or NH

You poor Mass guys can relate to this. I get the worst looks from my US Mail polstal carrier when he has to deliver one of those flat rate boxes stuffed with bullets. (not loaded ammo, just bullets) The $7 flat rate box can weigh 45 lbs.

Don

Back
Top Bottom