• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a long gun out of state...

How does it work?

I was in Maine this weekend catching the tail end of rifle season. I took a trip into the Walmart, and all I can say is WOW! They had two big gun cases full of shotguns, and rifles of various calibers. They had a setup with about 10 muzzleloaders. They had an ammo supply that would make you think you were in a gun store. I checked out the handgun ammo, and for .40 and .45 it was about the same as it is here in MA Walmart, however the rifle ammo was very cheap. I payed $17 for a box of 20 Federal hunting rounds in .308 the same ammo there was only $12. So of course I had to pick a couple of those up, and they had some Remington Core-Lok ammo in .308 that is pretty hard to come by in the local gun shops here in MA so I grabbed a couple of those at $12 a box also. PLUS their sporting goods section was about 5 full isles with anything you could want!

Anyway, they had these signs up over the rifle cases that said "We can sell rifles and shotguns to residents of the following states" MA was listed, and I have to say they had some GREAT deals on shotguns. So my question, do I have to purchase it there and have it transferred to and FFL here, or do I just buy it there, take it home, and do the FA-10 "Registration only" when I get home?

Thanks for the info
Adam

I believe that you just buy it, bring it back, and send an FA-10 marked in the "Registration" block to the CHSB.

Buy it there, take it home and file an FA-10 as "Registration".

Simple.

I was up in the Hudson, NH Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and two MA subjects were buying shotguns for hunting. They get your MA LTC/FID and do the NICS/4473 and you are on your way.

Shotgun, rifle and some pistol ammo was on the shelves to just pick it up and pay on the way out . . . just like in MA . . . NOT!

my buddies and i were up at the walmart in hudson, nh and he has a MA LTC - A ALP and they denied him when he tried to buy ammo, plus he also had a non-resident NH permit, we didn't want to make the guy feel uncomfortable and press the issue.

Strange... I have purchased ammo there PLENTY of times using only my MA drivers license.

Must have been some new guy or something.

Adam

I've bought ammo a number of times at the Wal-Mart in Hudson, NH. I only show them my NH NR CCW if asked. Last purchase, the guy never asked . . . I guess he thought I was over 21! [lol]

Last time in there I watched two MA residents (both born in the Middle East in non-friendly countries) purchase a long gun each. The clerk did the 4473 and called it in, no problem.

Most of the folks at the Hudson, NH Wal-Mart understand what they can do and it is no hassle. Obviously a new employee who didn't have a clue. That's when you call a manager over and get the transaction done and educate the newbie at the same time.

LenS said:
I've bought ammo a number of times at the Wal-Mart in Hudson, NH. I only show them my NH NR CCW if asked. Last purchase, the guy never asked . . . I guess he thought I was over 21! [lol]

Last time in there I watched two MA residents (both born in the Middle East in non-friendly countries) purchase a long gun each. The clerk did the 4473 and called it in, no problem.

Most of the folks at the Hudson, NH Wal-Mart understand what they can do and it is no hassle. Obviously a new employee who didn't have a clue. That's when you call a manager over and get the transaction done and educate the newbie at the same time.
I can only surmise that the WallyWorld clerks know what they're doing because they don't have these half assed convoluted laws. K.I.S.S.

Back
Top Bottom