'Bullets' found in High School!

If they'd brought that dog through my school, half the people would have registered hits. Even if we didn't have ammo on us, we handled it all the time.

I wonder if they require all the kids to get under their desks just in case those live .22 bullets go super nova...

do any of you have kids?

actually that does make me think about it more...

flame suit on....

I see how it could be a real cause for concern. With all the shootings going on in schools, who is to say that those 22's weren't dropped from someone loading up for a shooting? Thats a very real possibility, and looking at it from that angle, the reaction would be justified.

I kinda agree with hollewud7...if it were my kids school, regardless of the fact that bullets themselves are harmless, its tough to rationalize why someone would bring live rounds into school and the next thing that comes to mind is a shooter. I think of this as being akin to all of us rounding the corner of our kitchen in the middle of the night, gun in hand, only to find the dog digging through the trash. The chance that it wasn't the dog makes the act of clearing the house justified and I am sure school officials would say that clearing the school is a similar jusitifed act in response to the discovery of live ammunition on the grounds.

Its a fine line, though....sometimes its legit to send people home but other times I think its over reacting.

I don't think they overreacted, when you consider recent shootings at schools. Things are a lot different from when I was in HS 25+ years ago. We hall carried pocket or folding hunting knives and no one blinked twice..now they would through you out of school and probably be arrested.

Look at it a different way...imagine the outcry had they done nothing and then someone was shot?

Not only did the over react, the whole idea of a school "lockdown" is absurd.
Let's put all the unarmed sheep in one pen!

If you look at just about any school shooting in the past, the shooter came loaded for bear. They didn't pause in a hallway to load their weapons.

I agree with Greg:

We used to put M80's in the toilet when we wanted out of school..dropping some 22's on the ground sounds a lot easier.

Lockdowns are stupid... Sending everyone home might be a better response in the unlikely event that there was a would-be shooter.

Most likely it was some kid who forgot he had them in his pocket.

do any of you have kids?

I see how it could be a real cause for concern. With all the shootings going on in schools, who is to say that those 22's weren't dropped from someone loading up for a shooting? Thats a very real possibility, and looking at it from that angle, the reaction would be justified.

why, should i be terrified that my little billy might see a small brass casing?
i don't accept harassing and searching other people because it COULD POSSIBLY MAYBE stop some one from doing bad things

if some ones going to shoot up a school. its going to happen regardless of "gun free zones" regardless of "zero tolerance". all these things do is criminalize those who probably were NOT going to shoot up the school, and prevent those who COULD stop a shooting from having the tools ( a gun) to do so. then on top of that they essentially make the problems worse, and tout that they are doing good.

[puke]

Where do you draw the line though?

A couple .22 rounds seem like they shouldn't be a big deal...what if its a handful? What if its a full box? Remember that if this were in MA, a kid simply picking one up would make him a criminal....

What if its a loaded magazine? What about gunpowder? Fireworks? Home made pipe bombs? Exactly when do you think its warranted for schools to get concerned?

IMHO this is a safety issue. I know my kids will be brought up right, but I certainly don't trust other parents' kids to not do something dangerous with things they find on the floor.

actually that does make me think about it more...

flame suit on....

That is precisely the issue. I honestly think we make ourselves look quite foolish for bashing school officials for executing common sense measures in these situations. The fact of the matter is that they don't know where those rounds came from. Therefore they don't know what the threat level is. If VT or Columbine or a number of other horrendous mass murders had not occurred, perhaps we could back to the good old days. But they did, and now the good old days are long gone.
You can argue whether sending kids home of keeping them locked down makes more sense, but you'd be hard pressed to argue that doing nothing makes sense.

Oh yay, more pants shitting hysterics from dumb admins.

Sorry, I still think shutting down the school over a couple of "bullets" being found is just plain f-ing stupid.

So far none of these "attacks" have lead to a genuine threat at the other end, so all it really is, is another way for kids to work the system. [laugh]

Seriously, who believes that someone who is going to attack someone else, is gonna sprinkle cartridges around in a clearly public location before they do
it? [laugh]

-Mike

Most likely it was some kid who dropped them on purpose so everyone would be sent home.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!!

And that will likely be the same case the next 9,999 times it happens, too. [laugh]

-Mike

It seems very unlike a shooter would enter a school and not start shooting. The more time he spends walking around, the higher his chance of being caught before he starts.

The reality is, unless there is a known danger, sending them home is just as likely to be a bad idea as keeping them on lock down or simply going on about the day as if nothing happened.

All of these options have resulted in more deaths during certain school shootings. So unless you know what is actually going on, there is no 'right' answer, just guesses.

Seriously, who believes that someone who is going to attack someone else, is gonna sprinkle cartridges around in a clearly public location before they do
it? [laugh]

-Mike

No idea, but if your the guy who has to make that call in a flaming liberal state at a school district where a resident of the town recently went in and shot the crap out of a foxy lady in a neighboring town with one of those scary "assault rifles" and that's pretty much the biggest news story to ever come out of your town, you might be caught between a rock and a hard place. That guy's gotta put food on the table too. And if he wants to keep his job he's got soccermom's to answer to wether or not it was .22 long rifle dropped to scare everybody, or .223 dropped out of a cargo pant that was reached in to pull a magazine out of shortly before wreaking havoc, like their neighbor the foxy lady shooter did.

Now I'm not saying I agree with this all, and frankly I don't. But there is a time to do what is right by logic and there is a time to do what is going to keep your job. Especially when sending kids home doesn't have any major drawbacks. And either way everyone is going to be safe.

Last edited:
The other side of the lock down argument is that while some of us may think its silly, its pretty much outright negligence to release upwards of 300 kids into the streets without supervision.

Looking at it from that perspective you sadly have captive targets huddled in classrooms and no fighting chance or you have 300+ kids running about in panic on the streets without any supervision or real means to get them back inside the school. Its probably safer (collaterally) for the school to keep them inside rather than release children into a second and larger predatory environment.

I understand the whole lock down thing is probably not the greatest idea.

my stance is: if the person was 18 years old and has a FID card, he'd probably be smart enough NOT to bring ammo into the school....

I'm sure it was some kid trying to stir the pot, which they did, but I'd hate to be the parent of the reverse 911 call regardless of the issue because I have an 8 year old. sooner or later, he'll be practicing these "lock down" drills.

i agree with BOBKATT, i should have posted a little bit more detail.

The other side of the lock down argument is that while some of us may think its silly, its pretty much outright negligence to release upwards of 300 kids into the streets without supervision.

Looking at it from that perspective you sadly have captive targets huddled in classrooms and no fighting chance or you have 300+ kids running about in panic on the streets without any supervision or real means to get them back inside the school. Its probably safer (collaterally) for the school to keep them inside rather than release children into a second and larger predatory environment.

I was about to mention something like this.... how many of the school shootings involved a pulled fire alarm and people fleeing the building to be gunned down. This could be used as a trigger and therefore sending the kids home is a bad idea. I think higher vigilance and continuing on with the day is the best idea. Let the police stand guard for a day while investigating the potential threat instead of a lock down.

Same thing happened in Oxford a year or two back, school locked down, all cars searched....... Turned out some kid wanted to get out of a test that day.......

To think, when I was at Oxford in the late 80's I used to leave my shotgun locked in the car to go bird and deer hunting after school......didn't even think twice about it.

Can't blame them for dealing with these threats after Columbine I guess, some may look at it as over the top, but loaded ammo is dangerous and like another person said, if they found it and didn't take steps, and something happened. The same people would be on their case for not doing anything about it........

my stance is: if the person was 18 years old and has a FID card, he'd probably be smart enough NOT to bring ammo into the school....

I agree with you that the smart thing would be to NOT bring ammo to school being that people around here are not the gun friendliest bunch. One dumb thing that happened I was younger, and actually younger than 18 when I had my FID was that I went shooting with some buddies on the weekend, and happened to pick up some missfires after going through the proper safety procedures and tucked them in my pocket so as not to leave live rounds around. Monday morning I threw on the same pants having totally forgotten about it and went to school. About halfway through the day I reached into my pocket and found the ammo.

I obviously shut my mouth and kept it there until I got home. I don't think this is the same situation, but it shows how easily it is to accidentally take a couple rounds or a pocket knife or something similar to school by accident if you happen to be a shooter or fisherman or just someone who carries a swiss army knife as a tool. I don't keep ammo in my pants pockets anymore because that's not really a good place for it, and I also wash my pants much more frequently. Well, I atleast don't wear my range/work pants to work. So I really don't agree with the zero tolerance policy because it is just foolish. Besides the fact that honest mistakes are made, I don't think people carrying pocketknives are the problem. Someone who comes to school lookin to stab someone can pack a much better knife and conceal it extremely easily. I can conceal a full size 1911 with a t-shirt and shorts on for crying out loud.

Its pretty easy for some of these situations to occur. As a perfect example, I came home from the last NES car shoot and heard a "click" as i walked across the kitchen floor. What was it from? A live .22 round stuck in the treads of my boot. All it'd take is that dropping on the floor at my office to violate the company policy and/or freak someone out.

I no longer wear hooded sweatshirts at the range for the reason that twice, after getting home from the range, I found casings in the hood.

Rather than over react or under react, how about a response of posting an officer in each hall or floor, and have the staff on alert for anyone acting suspiciously, ofr the rest of the day.

School goes on. No easy way out of tests. Or sick fantasy of unhindered mayhem dashed.

Back
Top Bottom