'Bullets' found in High School!

I don't think they overreacted, when you consider recent shootings at schools. Things are a lot different from when I was in HS 25+ years ago. We hall carried pocket or folding hunting knives and no one blinked twice..now they would through you out of school and probably be arrested.

Look at it a different way...imagine the outcry had they done nothing and then someone was shot?

Had no problem carrying a knife into high school ten years ago. A generation before brought their hunting rifles with them so they could go hunting after school. Times have changed.

Some school districts disallow folks from wearing hats. Yes, wearing hats. Hats. Non-dangerous hats.

Its pretty easy for some of these situations to occur. As a perfect example, I came home from the last NES car shoot and heard a "click" as i walked across the kitchen floor. What was it from? A live .22 round stuck in the treads of my boot. All it'd take is that dropping on the floor at my office to violate the company policy and/or freak someone out.

Is that how you got the handle? [smile]

I no longer wear hooded sweatshirts at the range for the reason that twice, after getting home from the range, I found casings in the hood.

I believe the found "bullets" were full cartridges right? Can't pull up the story because of the error.

Rather than over react or under react, how about a response of posting an officer in each hall or floor, and have the staff on alert for anyone acting suspiciously, ofr the rest of the day.

School goes on. No easy way out of tests. Or sick fantasy of unhindered mayhem dashed.

How many officers is that going to take and for how long? Even in my town's relatively small HS there are three buildings each with three floors. Even though they are connected, the floors don't match up well so in effect it's three separate buildings. So, now this town, with about a 20 officers on duty during the day shift would have to send about half of them to one location. Which means that they'd have to pull the other half, supervisors, detectives, court prosecutor, desk officer out to respond to calls. Then they'd have to call in more officers to fill THOSE slots.

The school administrators are in a no win situation. If they lock down the school, they over reacted. If they don't and something happens, they didn't take the threat seriously enough and it's their fault. If they close the school and send the kids home, especially if they are younger kids, they are sending them out with no idea if the parents will be home to take care of the kids. How long would it take them to notify 500 or so parents? How would they notify the school bus drivers to come in early? Maybe they could use the same system they use for early release during snow storms, but maybe not.

There are a lot of variables that they have to account for and they have to try to do what's safest for the kids.

A .22 round could have fallen out of someone's clothes by accident. Or some kid might have done it as a prank. Or it might be someone who dropped a round as they were loading a pistol to bring into school. The VT killer used a .22 to finish off some of his victims at close range, so it's plausible that someone brought one in to use on an enemy.

It's not uncommon for school police to arrest kids with guns on school property, so it's not like it never happens.

The world is a much different place than it was back in the 1970s when I was in HS. It would be foolish not to remember that when scoffing at the "hysteria" of the school officials. We settled disputes by having fist fights after school. Some kids today settle similar disputes by stabbing other kids or even shooting them.

I was about to mention something like this.... how many of the school shootings involved a pulled fire alarm and people fleeing the building to be gunned down. This could be used as a trigger and therefore sending the kids home is a bad idea. I think higher vigilance and continuing on with the day is the best idea. Let the police stand guard for a day while investigating the potential threat instead of a lock down.

March 24, 1998 - Andrew Golden, 11, and his gun buddy, Mitchell Johnson, 13, dressed in camouflage fatigues and then gunned down fifteen people at the Westside Middle School playground in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Five died, all of them female and four were children. The boys had a van stocked full of ammunition and guns, which they took from their kin. Golden went into the school and set off a fire alarm, then ran to where Johnson lay in position with the rifles. As people filed out for the fire drill, the boys began shooting.

and for how long?

How long are you going to close the school down? One day? Then that is how long you have police on scene.

Even in my town's relatively small HS there are three buildings each with three floors.

If the town is small, then the multiple buildings must be small. So, it sounds like three officers in this case. I've seen more law enforcement sent to arrest a single DUI.

Hey, I'm all for not prohibiting teachers from carrying -- a much better solution than cops in the hallways.

March 24, 1998 - Andrew Golden, 11, and his gun buddy, Mitchell Johnson, 13, dressed in camouflage fatigues and then gunned down fifteen people at the Westside Middle School playground in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Five died, all of them female and four were children. The boys had a van stocked full of ammunition and guns, which they took from their kin. Golden went into the school and set off a fire alarm, then ran to where Johnson lay in position with the rifles. As people filed out for the fire drill, the boys began shooting.

I think thats the one I was thinking of. They need to be careful to ensure our reaction isn't the reaction the perpetrator wanted, whether that be easy targets or a way out of his morning math exam.

Note that this problem wouldn't exist if Massachusetts lawmakers would respect our unalienable right to self-preservation.

Why not let the staff and faculty of the schools carry?

Some wacko, troubled kid, who didn't get enough hugs and kisses from mommy is only emboldened in these "gun free zones". He'd have to think twice if sane, responsible adults were packing.

Some wacko, troubled kid, who didn't get enough hugs and kisses from mommy is only emboldened in these "gun free zones". He'd have to think twice if sane, responsible adults were packing.

Disagree on that one. The various forms of media that are available to kids these days can falsley give them the impression that they are demigods and cannot be hurt by "mere bullets".

Play any one of the many video games on the market today and you will see what might impress upon todays' youths.

Add in the input from the MTV stations, the crappy Japanimation shows on the TV now, and other mitigating factors, and you will see that even if he/she knew "responsible adults" were carrying, he would not think twice, or even once.

Because he/she never learned what responsibility actually means.

Disagree on that one. The various forms of media that are available to kids these days can falsley give them the impression that they are demigods and cannot be hurt by "mere bullets".

Play any one of the many video games on the market today and you will see what might impress upon todays' youths.

Add in the input from the MTV stations, the crappy Japanimation shows on the TV now, and other mitigating factors, and you will see that even if he/she knew "responsible adults" were carrying, he would not think twice, or even once.

Because he/she never learned what responsibility actually means.

NEVER blame the media for violence. Video games do not teach kids to be violent, only the results of said violence.

I strongly disagree that video games give kids a false sense of invulnerability. I get taken out at least a few times an hour when I'm playing violent shooting games. And thats with practice. You can learn quite quickly that without extreme amounts of practice you cannot have high hopes to make it through a violent encounter, and even with practice it is never guaranteed.

NEVER blame the media for violence. Video games do not teach kids to be violent, only the results of said violence.

Amen, my friend. Anyone remember running around with cap guns dressed as cowboys shooting at indians? We were running around with fake guns that went bang, performing a reenactment of a genocide for fun. We didn't all grow up to be murderers did we?

Amen, my friend. Anyone remember running around with cap guns dressed as cowboys shooting at indians? We were running around with fake guns that went bang, performing a reenactment of a genocide for fun. We didn't all grow up to be murderers did we?

My mother is a teacher and has two sons. At a teachers meeting once, a school official was talking about violent toys and games. He turned to my mother and said "Cindy, your boys are so well behaved and polite...you don't let them play with violent toys, do you?"

My mothers response is now a classic in her town. She replied:
"If you are looking for support, look elsewhere. My sons have every toy weapon known to mankind and wage full scale wars in our backyard. If they are good kids, its because I raised them that way and not because I shielded them from certain toys."

My mothers response is now a classic in her town. She replied:
"If you are looking for support, look elsewhere. My sons have every toy weapon known to mankind and wage full scale wars in our backyard. If they are good kids, its because I raised them that way and not because I sheilded them from certain toys."

That's excellent. What kind of parenting is taking place, or should I say what kind of involvement do these parents have in their children's lives when a toy or a game has more influence over the childs behavior than their mother or father does?

Here's a direct copy of an alert I got from my college a couple of days ago. I've removed the information that would say where I attend classes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning (Wednesday, October 8, 2008) it was brought to the Campus
Police Departments attention that a very small quantity of spent shell
casings was found outside of the xxxxx Building on the xxxxxxx Campus.

We do not have any reason to believe that there is a threat to the
Campus.

As a precaution the College Police have:
o Consulted with the xxxxxxx Police Department
o Conducted a thorough search of the buildings and grounds
o We have and are reviewing video

At this time we have no reason to believe that there is or was a weapon
on Campus.

We are issuing this e-mail to alert the College Community and advise
all of you that this matter is under investigation. As we develop
additional information we will keep the community informed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh noes! Spent shell casings! Wait... just how does a shell casing get spent? Is that like a double negative? Does that make it a double positive since it's something good? Either way I'm really glad those spent shell casings are under investigation by our elite campus security guards wouldn't want them going crazy and hurting any children or innocent old ladies taking a quilting class! [rofl]

All I can say is, wasn't me! But I'm happy to know someone else at my college is a shooter.

another alert from yesterday

http://itemlive.com/articles/2008/10/16/updates/doc48f75f37824a5412605952.txt

Bomb Squad deactivates IEDs in Swampscott

By Debra Glidden / The Daily Item

SWAMPSCOTT - Two improvised explosive devices capable of killing a human being were deactivated by Bomb Squad robots Wednesday evening in Swampscott.

Detective Sgt. Tim Cassidy said police received a call at 6:14 p.m. on Wednesday evening reporting suspicious devices at 15 Puritan Road.

According to firefighter Robert Faulkner, a member of the Fire Investigative Unit, the fire department was immediately notified about the possible explosive devices.

“Once the ladder truck was on scene they were directed by (Police) Officer Michael Frayler to a trash bag in front of that address,” he said. “Inside that trash bag there appeared to be two spherical objects about the size of tennis balls wrapped in duct tape with fuses protruding approximately two inches from the ball object.”

Faulkner said all firefighters and houses within 300 feet on the devices were evacuated and the state Fire Marshal’s Office was notified.

“The road was shut down from the Fish House (on Humphrey Street) all the way down to Marshall Street,” he said. “The gas station was also shut down. It took the bomb squad 35 to 40 minutes to respond and when the squad was on scene they set up a safe zone.”

Faulkner said the Bomb Squad sent two robots down the road and behind a stone wall where the device was located.

“The robots picked up the bag and dumped out the contents,” he said. “The robots dumped out the contents and then shot the devices with a high-powered water cannon that is attached to the robot.”

Faulkner said the water cannon pierces the exterior of the device and then blows it apart with water rendering the device safe.

“It doesn’t explode the device,” he said. “It renders it safe with exploding it and it helps preserve evidence.”

Faulkner said both devices were packed with a “large quantity of black powder” that appears to be gunpowder.

“State Troopers Eric Gahagan and Robert McCarthy told me the devices were large enough to kill someone,” Faulkner said. “After the devices were rendered safe, evidence was collected and sent to the state crime lab for further analysis.”

According to police, Annie Hart found the devices Monday afternoon approximately 20 yards from the pier near the Fish House.

“She picked them up, brought them home and placed them in a garbage bag,” Cassidy said. “On Wednesday a friend said she should call the police and she did.”

Cassidy said police searched the beach where the devices were found, but did not turn up any additional devices.

“This is an ongoing investigation,” he said.

Faulkner reminded residents if they spot a suspicious device not to touch it.

“Call the proper authorities immediately,” he said. “These devices could have easily killed someone.”

-hopefully a "legal" and "law abiding" shooter

I hope so too, since the great commonwealth of Massachusetts would never consider allowing a law abiding citizen to do something so dangerous as concealed carry on college property thus rendering myself and others defenseless to someone who was less than law abiding!

I hope so too, since the great commonwealth of Massachusetts would never consider allowing a law abiding citizen to do something so dangerous as concealed carry on college property thus rendering myself and others defenseless to someone who was less than law abiding!

true...

i'm trying to flame or start a war.

what I'm saying is that IF it was "one of us" - we would't have brought spent casings to school and thrown them on the floor intentionally.

-another attention whore trying to cause panic (or) someone accidentaly dropped them ([rolleyes]) - and didn't notice, therefore; would be afraid to come clean in fear of loosing his / her right

Why not let the staff and faculty of the schools carry?.

Because Mass teachers are notorious for beating, gagging, and shooting students. Most of them are a ticking time bomb waiting to go off....oh wait a second....oh, I have teachers confused with mass murders! Hah! And to think....I never heard of a teacher who shot a student, funny...[wink]

But in all seriousness, their argument is that it would ruin the "academic environment". I say a crazy mowing down 32 students ruins the "academic environment"! Besides, nothing better to motivate students than knowing their teacher is armed! [rofl]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom