bullet proof vests for dogs - does that work?

Last edited:
Uhh, you realize that that's not an armored vehicle for "The Government" to waste money with on a raid, right? It's basically a bigass ATV for wilderness SAR, hence the "Search and Rescue" on the back. Probably not even armored at all.

I'm surprised at all the hate directed at an organization that's basically a charity. Think a radio ad is a waste of money? Would any of us have heard of them if they hadn't put an advertisement on the radio? It's a cost-benefit thing. Paying for the radio ad probably gets them more donations than they would have gotten without it.

I completely fail to see the logical connection between the MA government not rounding up and deporting illegal immigrants, and railing on a non-profit trying to buy K9 body armor.

no one is railing on anything. and it's not hate. it's a conversation with different arguments. also no one said rounding up and deporting anyone. what was meant was stop letting them get work and benefits here in the united states and the money saved could in theory be use to help save a k9. non-profit or not the state would have extra money to pay for police k9s if they spent money wisely.

Last edited:
At least for my part its not hate, just seems like a waste of resources that could be put to better use...

Yes, but it's voluntary and donations are made by individuals, so it's no one's business who gives how much to this charity.

I think military dogs have a bigger need, but I think they have issue vests for them.

Other notable dogs for whom body armor would have been useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Stubby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_%28dog%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chips_%28dog%29

Last edited:
I guess since we are off the topic of actual effectiveness, I hate charities that don't post their financials. Some do, some post obscured figures and don't make them easily accessible.

1. Select a cause that includes children, kittens or puppies.
2. Get donations.
3. Profit / paycheck !

Do you think that 100% of the donation goes to the vests? Most charities use pretty expensive resources, just check how much top brass makes in these "charities". Web design, hosting, fund raising parties, staff salaries.

I say, if you want to help your PD, get to know some people there and write a check directly. People should go to town meetings and get involved. I'm having much easier time writing a donation check and seeing where all those dollars are spent. So there is no need for pricey radio ads. I haven't seen any fliers in the city hall or PD station. May be my department don't want those.

I guess since we are off the topic of actual effectiveness, I hate charities that don't post their financials. Some do, some post obscured figures and don't make them easily accessible.

1. Select a cause that includes children, kittens or puppies.
2. Get donations.
3. Profit / paycheck !

Do you think that 100% of the donation goes to the vests? Most charities use pretty expensive resources, just check how much top brass makes in these "charities". Web design, hosting, fund raising parties, staff salaries.

I say, if you want to help your PD, get to know some people there and write a check directly. People should go to town meetings and get involved. I'm having much easier time writing a donation check and seeing where all those dollars are spent. So there is no need for pricey radio ads. I haven't seen any fliers in the city hall or PD station. May be my department don't want those.

They are posted on either guidestsr or chsritynavigator, forgot which one.

Yes, but it's voluntary and donations are made by individuals, so it's no one's business who gives how much to this charity.
Well, I can critique their choice, but yes, in the end, provided it is not subsidized by taxes and issues of heat exhaustion are addressed by their partners, then it is their choice...

Volunteer for non-profit that provides K9 vests in Mass.

I volunteer for a non-profit charity in Mass, called Vested Interest in K9s, Inc.
run by Sandy Marcal. This is a 501c(3) all volunteer group with a Board of Directors.
None of the folks involved are paid for their time, nor does this group pay out any funds for advertising, folks who support the cause have donated their professional services to this organizatoin. Sandy Marcal has been working with Massachusetts law enforcements for over 10 years and has dedicated many hours including nights and weekends to secure funding for the working dogs protection and provided over 225 vests to K9s in need. There is nothing elaborate or fancy, no paid televison or radio ads. The group produced a public service announcement at a local cable studio during a FREE PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT DAY. We have a great volunteer base and we work with many businesses all over Mass and many students and school systems. It is truly a pleasure to be a part of such an important mission. These working dogs are police officers and deserve the same protection of the human partners. Vested Interest in K9s hosts and attends many a fundraising event. In Dec. 2010, Helping Paws for the Holidays event brought in almost $10,000 which allowed 10 police dogs to be outfitted with vests. I feel blessed to work with so many dedicated and caring people. Its all about helping the dogs.

Check out their website and see what I mean: www.vik9s.org

I volunteer for a non-profit charity in Mass, called Vested Interest in K9s, Inc.
run by Sandy Marcal. This is a 501c(3) all volunteer group with a Board of Directors.
None of the folks involved are paid for their time, nor does this group pay out any funds for advertising, folks who support the cause have donated their professional services to this organizatoin. Sandy Marcal has been working with Massachusetts law enforcements for over 10 years and has dedicated many hours including nights and weekends to secure funding for the working dogs protection and provided over 225 vests to K9s in need. There is nothing elaborate or fancy, no paid televison or radio ads. The group produced a public service announcement at a local cable studio during a FREE PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT DAY. We have a great volunteer base and we work with many businesses all over Mass and many students and school systems. It is truly a pleasure to be a part of such an important mission. These working dogs are police officers and deserve the same protection of the human partners. Vested Interest in K9s hosts and attends many a fundraising event. In Dec. 2010, Helping Paws for the Holidays event brought in almost $10,000 which allowed 10 police dogs to be outfitted with vests. I feel blessed to work with so many dedicated and caring people. Its all about helping the dogs.

That's great that you volunteer. It's great if people want to donate their money.
However you can't expect everyone to have the same opinion as you.
I don't consider a K9 a "police officer" and I believe if a police department considered them officers, then they would have a moral responsibility to provide them with the same protection they provide their human counterparts.

I wouldn't donate my money and I think it's a little crazy for some organizations to be spending money to advertise on the radio when they can simply buy the vests with that money. But I don't know what kind of returns these guys are getting.

Just seems crazy to me with so many things wrong in society, that the radio spot to the general public would be a good idea.
I think a targeted advertisement towards dog owners would have been more appropriate.

Maybe we should take out a radio ad for people to donate money so we can buy guns for the legally qualified yet underprivileged people who can't afford them themselves? Or would the general public not see it the same way we do?

Know your audience.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't own a digital or video camera. But, its not that hard to teach and is a common agility trick. Check this out and see if you can see what I mean about the vest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfH7AS0894

Pretty cool. I was hoping to see the descent. I used to live right around exit 3 off 195 in Providence while they were doing the construction. There were tons of jersey barriers around there under the bridge. I remember walking my dog and we came to the barrier. I didn't think he would be able to make it over, but he leaped up, stood with 4 paws planted on the top of, looked around and jumped down. Sounds silly when I type it out, but I had never seen him do anything like that. Thanks for the video.

Last edited:
I wouldn't donate my money and I think it's a little crazy for some organizations to be spending money to advertise on the radio when they can simply buy the vests with that money. But I don't know what kind of returns these guys are getting.

He stated that they got free advertisement time.

Not to mention, the OP to these comments didn't ask for money or volunteers. Simply providing info about another agency that helps police dogs. If that is against forum rules, I am sure it would have been removed by now.

I will keep checking for events in Western Mass. I would surely attend and make a donation that I could afford- under one condition...

I want to meet the K9's!!!

Good Luck with your worthy cause!

No problem on that the K9 teams are always present to meet and greet the public and educate about K9 police work.
Thanks for your support!

I will keep checking for events in Western Mass. I would surely attend and make a donation that I could afford- under one condition...

I want to meet the K9's!!!

Good Luck with your worthy cause!

That's great that you volunteer. It's great if people want to donate their money.
However you can't expect everyone to have the same opinion as you.
I don't consider a K9 a "police officer" and I believe if a police department considered them officers, then they would have a moral responsibility to provide them with the same protection they provide their human counterparts.

Just seems crazy to me with so many things wrong in society, that the radio spot to the general public would be a good idea.
I think a targeted advertisement towards dog owners would have been more appropriate.

Maybe we should take out a radio ad for people to donate money so we can buy guns for the legally qualified yet underprivileged people who can't afford them themselves? Or would the general public not see it the same way we do?

Know your audience.

Way to welcome a new member, DICK. I didn't feel compelled to work for free or donate to such an agency, after reading the post. Yes, I have a soft spot for dogs. I hope I didn't just out myself. I use a lot of commas.

Way to welcome a new member, DICK. I didn't feel compelled to work for free or donate to such an agency, after reading the post. Yes, I have a soft spot for dogs. I hope I didn't just out myself. I use a lot of commas.

now youve done it.....you 'outed yourself'......in fact...you are so far outed, theres no going back.....this might just be the biggest outing of the year...............

Then he's not a member of the organization that has been advertising on the radio. doglover stated he got free local cable advertising.
The ad the OP is talking about has been all over the radio.

I think it's a different person and organization. I am assuming whatever organization paid for their airtime. It's not that I find it wrong. I just think it's stupid.

If I gave money to an organization to do something I think most of the public wouldn't care much about...and then they took radio ads out to promote it then I'd be a little pissed off at how they spent the money.

Not to mention, the OP to these comments didn't ask for money or volunteers. Simply providing info about another agency that helps police dogs. If that is against forum rules, I am sure it would have been removed by now.
The OP was simply commenting about a radio ad that he heard. He wasn't promoting it by any means, nor have I ever assumed he was.
My comments are about the ads that I've heard on the radio as well. And I think they are useless.

I have no idea why your panties are in a bunch.

Oh. now I know why your panties are in a bunch. :)

I have a soft spot for dogs too. I just don't like the ad and that is all I was talking about.
You make it seem like I want to go dog hunting or something.

As far as the new member? A screen name "doglover" and only 4 posts...all within a thread discussing dogs...you do the math.

Then he's not a member of the organization that has been advertising on the radio. doglover stated he got free local cable advertising.
The ad the OP is talking about has been all over the radio.

I think it's a different person and organization. I am assuming whatever organization paid for their airtime. It's not that I find it wrong. I just think it's stupid.

If I gave money to an organization to do something I think most of the public wouldn't care much about...and then they took radio ads out to promote it then I'd be a little pissed off at how they spent the money.

The OP was simply commenting about a radio ad that he heard. He wasn't promoting it by any means, nor have I ever assumed he was.
My comments are about the ads that I've heard on the radio as well. And I think they are useless.

I have no idea why your panties are in a bunch.

Oh. now I know why your panties are in a bunch. :)

I have a soft spot for dogs too. I just don't like the ad and that is all I was talking about.
You make it seem like I want to go dog hunting or something.

As far as the new member? A screen name "doglover" and only 4 posts...all within a thread discussing dogs...you do the math.

I did the math. Someone found this thread via google (or any other search engine), signed up and posted about their charity, with a similar goal as to what the thread was discussing. I am confident if this was against forum rules the mods would have squashed it quick.

i'll have to agree with underwear. some of you people are crazy. it's a damn dog.

*i like dogs btw... will be looking to get one soon* i'm thinking a rat terrier.

i'll have to agree with underwear. some of you people are crazy. it's a damn dog.

*i like dogs btw... will be looking to get one soon* i'm thinking a rat terrier.

Are you sure one of these will fit in your Coach bag?

ToyRatTerriersIMG_0303.JPG

I did the math. Someone found this thread via google (or any other search engine), signed up and posted about their charity, with a similar goal as to what the thread was discussing. I am confident if this was against forum rules the mods would have squashed it quick.

I can honestly say I have no clue what you are arguing.
The OP heard the radio spot and had questions over the legitimacy of dog vests.

Why are you bringing up forum rules?

Back
Top Bottom