• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Built in my Basement 1911...(Pics)

About 4 months the scaryest part was running the file on the back of the slide to give me the fifty lines per inch,never did that before

Last edited:
JDLSales....

I guess I will give him a shout out here, I had PMed him in the past and I believe he can be of some use/information! I am just waiting on saving up a few hundred to build my dream commander! Whats the price breakdown Jim42 for say the frame and other major accoutrements? I know a digital caliper thingy is soooo key on this kind of thing. Was the barsto barrel ramped throated and polished? I hear messing up headspacing there can be costly in time and money, possibly even safety too! Spill the beans man!!! [smile]

Oh and beautiful looking gun! I'm sure it looks so much better when you know its truly YOUR baby. Great work I hope it shoots good!

I still have some tweaking to do,like putting a slight angle on the ejector and radius the extractor.I had some help with getting the slide on the frame,The best advice I can give is take your time,time is your friend,I spent alot of money on tools,this is my second build,the first one went okay things I would do differnt is I will always use a Match target barrel instead of a semi drop in, like I did on my frist build,used the JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE U.S. M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS A SHOP MANUAL for refrence very good .Will be doing .22 converstion next

I'm not familiar with the custom-building of a 1911. Why is there so much hand fitting needed? Is there less of a tight spec on tolerances that the parts are built to than, say, an AR15? Or do they come with extra metal on them so that people can machine them down on purpose?

I'm not familiar with the custom-building of a 1911. Why is there so much hand fitting needed? Is there less of a tight spec on tolerances that the parts are built to than, say, an AR15? Or do they come with extra metal on them so that people can machine them down on purpose?

I think the reason is that most people who are building a 1911 from
the ground up want it to be uber-accurate, so most of the vendors
will make parts which aren't set to loose tolerances, so the
gunsmith can fit all that himself for the specific combo of parts he's
using.

The other problem is simply that of QC not being universal. For
instance, the guys making slides at caspian might have a different
idea of whats considered "acceptable variance" in their manufacturing
than whoever it was that made your frame, etc.

Not to mention a lot of people build off stuff they already
have- which means "the other guy" doesn't know what the
specs of that frame is, etc.

FWIW, you probably could find "slopbucket/mixmaster/gi spec
parts" and build a 1911 with minimal fitting, but it would kinda
defeat the purpose of doing it oneself.

-Mike

I think the reason is that most people who are building a 1911 from
the ground up want it to be uber-accurate, so most of the vendors
will make parts which aren't set to loose tolerances, so the
gunsmith can fit all that himself for the specific combo of parts he's
using.

The other problem is simply that of QC not being universal. For
instance, the guys making slides at caspian might have a different
idea of whats considered "acceptable variance" in their manufacturing
than whoever it was that made your frame, etc.

Not to mention a lot of people build off stuff they already
have- which means "the other guy" doesn't know what the
specs of that frame is, etc.

FWIW, you probably could find "slopbucket/mixmaster/gi spec
parts" and build a 1911 with minimal fitting, but it would kinda
defeat the purpose of doing it oneself.

-Mike
Mike well said

Tool List?

Hey Jim42, Think you could write down a tool list of what it takes to get a 1911 together? I know calipers a Dremel set with multiple polishing and grinding bits lots of hand files, a punch some hammers... what else is key if one is thinking of doing a 1911 build? I also have the Kunhausen shop manaul so I suppose its moot, but more curious to what YOU personally used. I think that most of the work can be done with hand tools he had a lot of machining elements in the book that not too many people would want to get.... So is there a weekend warrior list you could iterate? How well does it shoot by the way? thats a 5" slide right?

Sure 9000s I will put list for you guys together.I went a little overboard because I am a tool nut.But you will not have go as crazy as I did.Ill get together with my son and take some pics. Jim

Looking forward to the tooling list. My hunch is i have most of it since i already have a mill, checkering files, buffers, grinders, heat treating setups, cross slide vices etc etc....

If you dont mind asking....besides the labor time and effort, what were your total costs for the parts used? Im always wondering if the sum of all the parts is less or more than a match grade 1911....though obviously hand fitting makes it "yours" which has more value than picking something out of a case....

1.JERRY KUHNHAUSEN Manuel
2.www.blindhogg.com Execellent Site check it out.
3.Slide to frame fit safe file (Found at Brownells)
4.Barrel alingment block
5.#4 Swiss file (To cut the length and width) of barrel
6.Brownells .200 lug cutter (To cutt lugs on the bottom of the barrel)
7.Ed Brown Sear jig + Yavapi Sear Microscope (To do the hammer and sear)
8.Fine and Ultra fine polishing stones
9.Main spring pin remover (Makes it easier to remove the main spring)
10.Nylon punches to remove the front and rear sight
11.Three 320 grit sandpaper (To tune the extractor)
12.Dial Calper (For measuring)
13.Bushing tip (To screw in the grip panel bushings)
14.A good set of punches
15.Nylon Hammer
16. 65 Degree Dovetail file
17. Ed Brown Jig 250 Radius(For cutting grip safety)
Note: All these tools can be purchased at Brownells. In case you can't tell already I am a tooloholic. The best advice I can give is to take your time. Time is your friend. If you are tired do not work on it. I'll admit I screwed up a few parts, mainly because I was tired i filed it a little too much. Hope this helps.
Jim. 18 my friends bead blasting box

Last edited:
jim42 - impressive - too bad you did not have a before and after - also a few in between photo's.

I did a goverment model first,than a commander,I am by no means a pro but I have a clear understanding how the 1911 works.I love the right tool to do the job,thats why i am a tool junky I guess you really can gey by with half the tools that I have .I have screwed up a few parts THE CHEAP ONES but thats how you learn. Jim

Last edited:
I can help with information on 1911 builds. Don't hesitate asking questions. I use Remsport parts. There barrels are as good or better than anything I have seen in fact they just may be the ones sold by other companies. Just a note Remsport is the manufacturer of barrels, frames and slides for most of the top custom and semi custom gun co. out there.
This is a photo of my last build. 10mm commander I did an Ed Brown bobtail to the frame.
The slide, frame and barrel are Remsport stainless.
I am currently building a 3.5 officers top with bushingless bull barrel on a commander bobtailed frame.

Last edited:
Machined from forgings and hardened. These are the parts that $2000.00 and up 1911 are made of.
JIM42 looks like a real nice job you did on that 1911.

oh me oh my....

-------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a photo of my last build. 10mm commander I did an Ed Brown bobtail to the frame.
The slide, frame and barrel are Remsport stainless.
I am currently building a 3.5 officers top with bushingless bull barrel on a commander bobtailed frame.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok thats it, in 6 months I gotta build one of these beauties!!! [smile]
wow fantastic looking pistol, even the bobtail works unique!
That 10mm looks delicious! 9+1 I assume? [grin] Ever time I look I just can't wait till I get started on my own! 10 days till AZ.... woo hoo!

Back
Top Bottom