• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a Dedicated .22LR AR-15

I have a tactical solutions and its the same concept. BUT I think it needs the buffer and retainer to “stay” in place.

It very well might. I can only speak to what I have.

BTW I have decided to install the buffer assembly into this rifle. It may not be "needed" but at the same time it won't hurt.

It very well might. I can only speak to what I have.

BTW I have decided to install the buffer assembly into this rifle. It may not be "needed" but at the same time it won't hurt.
Plus you know when you need that buffer and especially the retainer and spring it will not be where you put it!

Plus you know when you need that buffer and especially the retainer and spring it will not be where you put it!

Kindalike the guy who puts his eyeglasses up on his head and then searches around the house trying to remember where he put his glasses.

[rofl]

It should do better than 5-6 Moa.
if you google “CMMG 22LR accuracy test”, the common theme seems to be that different guns like different ammo, and trial and error of different brands will lead you to some grouping well and others doing what that Aquila is doing in your rifle.
If thats the best performance you get out of any ammo, it’s definitely a problem.
Mine seems to like mini mags, but I never did any groups at 100 yards.
here is the side by side test of bear creek $290 upper with the CMMG. it is at 100yds, mini mags, no wind.
bear creek from group 1 got scope adjusted, 2 and 3 shot with same scope settings.
on the right i only bothered to do 2 groups with cmmg, as they do fit how it would show up before - group 2 seems to be marginally tighter than group 1, but both are about same.
i am kinda equally disappointed in both and it seems like it is what it is for dedicated ar15 .22lr uppers.

IMG-1091.jpg

bear creek thing took a bit of time to get broken in, but in the end started to cycle properly with aguila as well. it is a quite different bolt design with a side charger and overall construction.
a bit more pita to disassemble. it is also a bit heavier than cmmg, not sure if i will keep it or not. will see.
i need to clean it, oil, polish some spots, then will see if it will run smoother or not.

1640121213785.png

here is the side by side test of bear creek $290 upper with the CMMG. it is at 100yds, mini mags, no wind.
bear creek from group 1 got scope adjusted, 2 and 3 shot with same scope settings.
on the right i only bothered to do 2 groups with cmmg, as they do fit how it would show up before - group 2 seems to be marginally tighter than group 1, but both are about same.
i am kinda equally disappointed in both and it seems like it is what it is for dedicated ar15 .22lr uppers.

View attachment 554803

bear creek thing took a bit of time to get broken in, but in the end started to cycle properly with aguila as well. it is a quite different bolt design with a side charger and overall construction.
a bit more pita to disassemble. it is also a bit heavier than cmmg, not sure if i will keep it or not. will see.
i need to clean it, oil, polish some spots, then will see if it will run smoother or not.

View attachment 554819
Curious how it groups with CCI SV. Mini mags are good but I don't think anyone who wants precision ammo, reaches for mini mags?
When I'm shooting 100 yards with 22lr, it's with my bull barrel 10/22 with KIDD barrel and using CCI SV.

Honestly I think your groups with mini mags in the BCA at 100 yards ain't all that bad considering. I'd bet $100 the groups tighten up with CCI SV.

Curious how it groups with CCI SV. Mini mags are good but I don't think anyone who wants precision ammo, reaches for mini mags?
When I'm shooting 100 yards with 22lr, it's with my bull barrel 10/22 with KIDD barrel and using CCI SV.

Honestly I think your groups with mini mags in the BCA at 100 yards ain't all that bad considering. I'd bet $100 the groups tighten up with CCI SV.
most likely bear creek will not cycle on SV yet - may be in a 100-300 rounds time it will, but today it was still too tight and had some issues sporadically not going full way into battery - either chamber needs more polishing, or ramp, or both, or just need more wear and tear all around.

i do not think there will be any significant improvement from moving to SV ammo, and, again, CZ drives aguila and mini mags, and SV all into same hole disregarding of what it is, and pretty much any decent .22lr rifle is supposed to do the same - not may be to the level of the CZ but at least do an MOA group, not a 3-4MOA.

group 3 of bear creek was almost decent - if we disregard 3 shots that went low, but as of CMMG - dunno, i am ready to write it off as a complete failure. i would not mind to swap the barrel if there was any proof seen that it actually can be better, but so far i fail to believe it can be better, based on what i see online about it. those who say it is accurate do not post any proof, and only those who like me get groups like this - post pictures.

and here is how bear creek grouped at 50yds. it will do.

1640125400152.png

Last edited:
@paul73 Thanks for the comparison. Very helpful. 100yds with 22lr is pushing it. I'm not expecting crazy accuracy, but I'm impressed with your groups at 100rds. I honestly thought the BearCreek dedicated upper would smoke the CMMG bolt, but the difference seems negligible (that says something for the CMMG bolt).

most likely bear creek will not cycle on SV yet - may be in a 100-300 rounds time it will, but today it was still too tight and had some issues sporadically not going full way into battery - either chamber needs more polishing, or ramp, or both, or just need more wear and tear all around.

i do not think there will be any significant improvement from moving to SV ammo, and, again, CZ drives aguila and mini mags, and SV all into same hole disregarding of what it is, and pretty much any decent .22lr rifle is supposed to do the same - not may be to the level of the CZ but at least do an MOA group, not a 3-4MOA.

group 3 of bear creek was almost decent - if we disregard 3 shots that went low, but as of CMMG - dunno, i am ready to write it off as a complete failure. i would not mind to swap the barrel if there was any proof seen that it actually can be better, but so far i fail to believe it can be better, based on what i see online about it. those who say it is accurate do not post any proof, and only those who like me get groups like this - post pictures.

and here is how bear creek grouped at 50yds. it will do.

View attachment 554867
Yeah but the CZ is a well made bolt action rifle. Honestly for what you paid for the BCA I'd be happy with those groups. But that's just me.
If your CZ shot like that, I'd be kinda pissed though lol

@paul73 Thanks for the comparison. Very helpful. 100yds with 22lr is pushing it. I'm not expecting crazy accuracy, but I'm impressed with your groups at 100rds. I honestly thought the BearCreek dedicated upper would smoke the CMMG bolt, but the difference seems negligible (that says something for the CMMG bolt).
On the right is not a cmmg bolt for 5.56. It is a dedicated cmmg .22lr barrel- an upper that costs more than $500 including bolt.

Cmmg bolt for 5.56 can be converted for a dedicated.22lr setup. That is why I am annoyed by it.

Here is how it looks:
B83F6403-3876-4C70-81B6-CAAEE1F2238D.jpeg

Last edited:
Bear in mind, I have read that acceptable accuracy for a military M4, shooting standard 5.56 ammo, is 4 MOA.
Comparing a Semi auto to a match grade bolt action is probably comparing apples to oranges.

Bear in mind, I have read that acceptable accuracy for a military M4, shooting standard 5.56 ammo, is 4 MOA.
Comparing a Semi auto to a match grade bolt action is probably comparing apples to oranges.
i just posted my semi-auto .223 group at 300yds in other thread. it is 5 rounds in there down right. :)
i do not say it is a repeatable sample, but, it is a semi-auto sample.

i agree with what you say, just, it still pisses me off.

1640131102136.png
this is a more realistic 300yds group - and at 100yds it means it all would be inside of the single 1" square there.
1640131324710.png

paul73, I’ve been looking for a dedicated 22lr upper as well. I’m not a fan of the MP 15-22, I had one and sold it for a lot of little reasons that I just couldn’t justify owning one.

What would your preference be for a dedicated upper or your preference for a dedicated AR style 22 that could reasonably be made MA compliant. It doesn’t need to be 100%, similar just enough to be similar.

My girls are not yet to the point of the dealing with the muzzle blast of 5.56 while shooting and 1 of even mentioned the “weird noise” being buffer spring…

your preference be for a dedicated upper
Not sure what to say as I tried to investigate this topic myself and the post #34 above shows how 2 most popular dedicated uppers performed and none was good enough for me to recommend it.

My preference is strongly with a cz 457. For what I spent on those 2 builds experiments I could have got an another MTR.

I will need to shoot BCA upper more to see if bolt will begin to cycle better than it did today.

paul73, I’ve been looking for a dedicated 22lr upper as well. I’m not a fan of the MP 15-22, I had one and sold it for a lot of little reasons that I just couldn’t justify owning one.

What would your preference be for a dedicated upper or your preference for a dedicated AR style 22 that could reasonably be made MA compliant. It doesn’t need to be 100%, similar just enough to be similar.

My girls are not yet to the point of the dealing with the muzzle blast of 5.56 while shooting and 1 of even mentioned the “weird noise” being buffer spring…
See post #4 😂
Sorry I just can’t recommend NC uppers enough. I haven’t put it on paper at 100 yards yet but I have the shorter pistol/SBR version now after selling the 16" upper.

When it comes to dedicated 22 uppers and accuracy, the conversation starts and ends at Compass Lake Engineering. Not cheap, but they will rival bolt-action groups.

A semi-economical alternative to buying the upper is building your own with their parts.

When it comes to dedicated 22 uppers and accuracy, the conversation starts and ends at Compass Lake Engineering. Not cheap, but they will rival bolt-action groups.

A semi-economical alternative to buying the upper is building your own with their parts.
I saw that one, but did not see any proof of how it actually shoots.
Same things were told about CMMG uppers and barrels and it shoots like shit.

Before spending $780 on an upper of an unknown quality it better have enough proof it actually works.
BCA upper at least costs just $280 that is easier to absorb if unhappy.

I saw that one, but did not see any proof of how it actually shoots.
Same things were told about CMMG uppers and barrels and it shoots like shit.

Before spending $780 on an upper of an unknown quality it better have enough proof it actually works.
BCA upper at least costs just $280 that is easier to absorb if unhappy.
Trust me, they shoot awesome. Amongst the Highpower Rifle community, they are very well thought of. Keystone Accuracy and Accuracy Speaks also, but I don't think either is making them anymore.

Trust me, they shoot awesome. Amongst the Highpower Rifle community, they are very well thought of. Keystone Accuracy and Accuracy Speaks also, but I don't think either is making them anymore.
who knows, may be.
to me it looks odd not to see a single youtube review and not to see neither MOA nor sub-MOA guarantee on the manufacturers site - i saw one review saying it makes .3" group at 50yds, may be, but it was the one and only paid review of that stuff, and, for a $900 price tag item - dunno. the whole thing is highly subjective, anyway.

an absolute majority of .22lr uppers would never be taken to a 100yds+, and most owners will not even shoot them from the bench. an upper like BCA that groups in 1"-1.5" at 50yds and costs $280 is probably the most typical use case scenario for shooting off-hand with a red dot - no one cares of how it groups at longer distances. what i do and the way i shoot is probably not typical at all, but, in the end i made those uppers for kids anyway, so, who cares. as long as it cycles it is all well.

who knows, may be.
to me it looks odd not to see a single youtube review and not to see neither MOA nor sub-MOA guarantee on the manufacturers site - i saw one review saying it makes .3" group at 50yds, may be, but it was the one and only paid review of that stuff, and, for a $900 price tag item - dunno. the whole thing is highly subjective, anyway.

an absolute majority of .22lr uppers would never be taken to a 100yds+, and most owners will not even shoot them from the bench. an upper like BCA that groups in 1"-1.5" at 50yds and costs $280 is probably the most typical use case scenario for shooting off-hand with a red dot - no one cares of how it groups at longer distances. what i do and the way i shoot is probably not typical at all, but, in the end i made those uppers for kids anyway, so, who cares. as long as it cycles it is all well.
There are probably no youtube videos because it's not used by the typical fan-boy "look at me in my video" crowd. They are used by serious competitors who use them for serious training.
I had an old DPMS upper that was good until it just wouldn't run anymore. I now have a CMMG unit that works decent for offhand practice at 125 yards (the distance I had to use here at home so that the 8" piece of steel I have would simulate the aiming black at 200 yds). It's no super-precision piece by any means, but it will shoot inside of my hold. If I wanted a 22 upper that simulated my SR upper for precision prone practice, I'd buy a Compass Lake kit.

My buddy has a Keystone upper that he shot at an indoor smallbore match a couple of winters ago. He cleaned the prone target, which isn't easy to do.

Kindalike the guy who puts his eyeglasses up on his head and then searches around the house trying to remember where he put his glasses.

[rofl]
Im pass that point , 2 different strengths on the head and one on the neck of the shirt and I still look everywhere.

View attachment 554803

View attachment 554819
Bear creak , it functioned you expectations should have ended there.
Im not nocking BC to hard I have friends who gobbled up thier ARs when they came around on sale for dumb cheap. They are are not having many issues. 1 needed new extractor and rings after 3500 rounds

Bear creak , it functioned you expectations should have ended there.
Im not nocking BC to hard I have friends who gobbled up thier ARs when they came around on sale for dumb cheap. They are are not having many issues. 1 needed new extractor and rings after 3500 rounds
I am still surprised to see that BCA shoots more accurate than cmmg.

What are other barrels out there that are compatible with cmmg bolt? Are there any?

Well, thanks to you jerks, I just sent off a large check to someone from a Highpower Rifle forum I'm a member of. He had a new-in-the-box Compass Lake .22 kit.
make sure to post your groups at the 100yds here afterwards.

Well, thanks to you jerks, I just sent off a large check to someone from a Highpower Rifle forum I'm a member of. He had a new-in-the-box Compass Lake .22 kit.
Been eye balling them for a while but with iron sight shooting dwindling from eye sight fading I have been hesitating.
Thought about a kit and put it on a flat top upper so I could scope it

@paul73 Question:
Out of the CMMG rig you have, which do you think contributed most to accuracy: the bolt (which is very similar to the 556 conversion), or the dedicated barrel (which is similar to 223 diameter except the twist rate is much slower)?

Back
Top Bottom