Building a Dedicated .22LR AR-15

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I am looking at putting a dedicated .22lr upper on an ACE Skeleton stocked lower. Unfortunately (and in fact stupidly) I had put the ACE stock together forgetting that I had to install the buffer tube on the stock before putting everything else (including the foam tube) on. But I was able to back the foam tube enough to put the tube on the stock. Would just have to stretch the tube back to it's normal installed length.

Was discussing this with my son and looking at how to install the buffer spring and buffer. My son asked why I was planning on installing those items since they were not required for .22lr operation. Hmmm, good point.

Am I better off putting the buffer assembly in the stock even though it's not needed or can I lust leave it out completely?

If you put them in it gives you the ability to slap another upper on that lower and use it correct?

It is. But i can add the buffer assembly easily enough if I want to do that. Which, i probably will do at some point.

I'm just trying find if there is any benefit one way or the other which I am not aware of.

I’ve got the Nordic Components 9.25" 22 SBR upper and the manual says you don’t need a buffer. Awesome upper. That being said I leave the buffer and buffer spring inside the tube since I swap multiple SBR uppers in 5.56 and 7.62x39 on that same lower.

They also have a 16" upper

keep lower fully functional, as i would predict you will not use that 22lr upper for long.
i was quite disappointed with mine, and it seems none of them are very accurate. it will shoot, but, a 1-2moa as the best at 100yds is a joke. it is ok to have it for a collection, but the actual 22lr shooting is reserved for CZ

I appreciate all the input. I'm going to go sans buffer assembly to start out, want to see how it works.

I can always install the buffer later in 5 mins (yes, I'm slow) if I need it for another upper.

And I am not looking for a tack-driver .22, I've got other rifles for that. This right now is going to be a fun rifle.

And I am not looking for a tack-driver .22, I've got other rifles for that. This right now is going to be a fun rifle.
If you're just looking for "fun at 50 yds". I'd go with the CMMG bolt with leftover AR parts. The conversion is on sale now for $150, and the spare parts won't cost you much. Mine came out to ~$275 (I was really pushing it).
Otherwise, I'd do what @andrew1220 said and get a complete upper with a specific 22lr barrel.

keep lower fully functional, as i would predict you will not use that 22lr upper for long.
i was quite disappointed with mine, and it seems none of them are very accurate. it will shoot, but, a 1-2moa as the best at 100yds is a joke. it is ok to have it for a collection, but the actual 22lr shooting is reserved for CZ
I would predict just the opposite, that it will be so much fun he will not only use it a lot but will build a second one. That is what I did.

For use as an AR trainer for positional shooting 1-2 moa is fine, and better than a rack grade AR with mil spec ammo. I found I shot mine a lot. As did kids grandkids and friends.

The first one I built used a light weight barrel from Taccom and had a Geissele trigger set light. Second one has a CMMG 16 barrel similar in weight to .223 barrel and has a Geissele NM 2 stage trigger set at 4.5# to mimic my CMP set up.

I would predict just the opposite, that it will be so much fun he will not only use it a lot but will build a second one. That is what I did.

For use as an AR trainer for positional shooting 1-2 moa is fine, and better than a rack grade AR with mil spec ammo. I found I shot mine a lot. As did kids grandkids and friends.

The first one I built used a light weight barrel from Taccom and had a Geissele trigger set light. Second one has a CMMG 16 barrel similar in weight to .223 barrel and has a Geissele NM 2 stage trigger set at 4.5# to mimic my CMP set up.
I have there CMMG 16” barrel and really surprised by its low accuracy.
Is there anything else out there, any barrel that can be used as its direct substitute for cmmg one but be an under 1moa consistently?

I should make it clear, I have all the parts and pieces already. I'm doing this for two reasons. One is to practise and develop my building/gunsmithing skills. The other is to have a .22 AR-15 lookalike for practice, training (like @northny alluded to), and just plain fun.

There is a pressure plug that keeps the bolt from moving around and helps the 22lr to be more reliable.
It needs the buffer and spring to be in place for it to work.
1639452905128.png

I use one in my CMMG 9.5 dedicated upper and it runs like a sewing machine.

If you want the bolt catch to work, and the bolt to lock open on an empty magazine, the Boony Packer Better Mag adapter and M&P 1522 magazines are also highly recommended, though they are a bit pricey.

To get back to the OPs original question I have no idea if you can shoot the .22 RF version without buffer and spring. I have not only always used buffer and spring but have also run with the 1” “ reliability plug” added to the buffer tube to increase pressure on the back of the cmmg conversion bolt.

I also run the better mag adapter with S&W 15-22 mags Like Cap’n Mike

Is there anything else out there, any barrel that can be used as its direct substitute for cmmg one but be an under 1moa consistently?
Both my barrels are about the same. They run about 1.25 to 1.35 MOA with CCI SV ammo On a dead still morning and my best bench rest technique. I tested 8 lots of ammo that I had 1000 rounds of each lot on hand after I found one lot ( that luckily I only had 100 rounds of) That bad lot was like 3-4 inches in both .22 ARs and my 10-22. As the CCI SV met my needs I never extensively tested other ammo But a few groups of other ammo didn’t show improvement.

Both my barrels are about the same. They run about 1.25 to 1.35 MOA with CCI SV ammo On a dead still morning and my best bench rest technique. I tested 8 lots of ammo that I had 1000 rounds of each lot on hand after I found one lot ( that luckily I only had 100 rounds of) That bad lot was like 3-4 inches in both .22 ARs and my 10-22. As the CCI SV met my needs I never extensively tested other ammo But a few groups of other ammo didn’t show improvement.
i took it to range this morning to show this - here is the result, i do not find it acceptable accuracy for 100yds.
CZ 457 MTR drives those 22lr aguila se rounds into the same hole, literally.
Here it is, below - what, a 5 MOA? Or 6?
I do not think it is anything specific to my sample, but, if it is - i would love to know.

IMG-1072.jpg

I have a 100% ma compliant ar22 sbr. Dedicated lower with the rear 1913 cap and sig stock. The stock was pinned open and welded so it doesn't fold. I used a terribly overgassed 7.5" Bear Creek Arsenal barrel and put a gas block on backwards to seal off the gas port. Cmmg bolt and their 10 round mags and my kid loves this thing. Plenty reliable and accurate.

DIY is fun, but I do that with Wylde and 300blk. for .22, just buy the M&P AR15-22 and go have fun.

If you're just looking for "fun at 50 yds". I'd go with the CMMG bolt with leftover AR parts. The conversion is on sale now for $150, and the spare parts won't cost you much. Mine came out to ~$275 (I was really pushing it).
Otherwise, I'd do what @andrew1220 said and get a complete upper with a specific 22lr barrel.
I should make it clear, I have all the parts and pieces already. I'm doing this for two reasons. One is to practise and develop my building/gunsmithing skills. The other is to have a .22 AR-15 lookalike for practice, training (like @northny alluded to), and just plain fun.
Install the buffer , what supports the bolt on the 22lr upper?

i took it to range this morning to show this - here is the result, i do not find it acceptable accuracy for 100yds.
I do not think it is anything specific to my sample, but, if it is - i would love to know.

View attachment 551939
The cmmg 22lr barrel sucks. Have yet to see any one with the cmmg 22lr do better than that. My friend sold his and bought a cheap Citidel M4 22lr clone. Will shoot less than 3moa for him with no wind

I cant say if the barrels interchange but I have a TacSol 22lr upper
Its not hard to shoot MOA with it. I use it more for blasting 2-4” steel plates @ 100 yards but have shot enough 1/2” groups @ 50 with CCI standard , Aqulia ES, SK plus , Wilf match to say its MOA capable in my hands so it possible can do better with better ammo and more skilled
990106C5-17E6-45C7-A308-4F42711145B9.jpeg

The "bolt carrier group" of the .22lr unit does not move. The rear of the unit is a solid circular plate, with a small semi-circular cutout at the bottom to fit over the bolt retainer pin. It also has a tab at the top to prevent movement into the buffer tube The unit is blowback so the bolt moves inside the "bcg" along a guide in the inside top that is controlled by a spring.

I'd take a picture but I'm too fracking tired and just want to watch Aaron Rogers beat the chit out of Baltimore.

I cant say if the barrels interchange but I have a TacSol 22lr upper
Its not hard to shoot MOA with it. I use it more for blasting 2-4” steel plates @ 100 yards but have shot enough 1/2” groups @ 50 with CCI standard , Aqulia ES, SK plus , Wilf match to say its MOA capable in my hands so it possible can do better with better ammo and more skilled
View attachment 554053
I just received bear creek arsenal $290 .22lr upper, complete with bolt - will test it next week.
It is returnable for 30 days, so, will see.

I soaked that cmmg barrel in copper solvent and cleaned it, after that it seems like it did a 1-2 moa group at 50yds, may be it was just too dirty. I did not use it much, so, did not expect it to have any issues. Will see.

Last edited:
I believe its the metal tab stick up on the left side of this picture (where the recoil spring inserts). That tab is supported by the the buffer tube insert. The backward recoil of the bolt will be stopped by the lower receiver's buffer insert (if it's not stopped by the recoil spring first).
1639954655723.png

View attachment 551939
It should do better than 5-6 Moa.
if you google “CMMG 22LR accuracy test”, the common theme seems to be that different guns like different ammo, and trial and error of different brands will lead you to some grouping well and others doing what that Aquila is doing in your rifle.
If thats the best performance you get out of any ammo, it’s definitely a problem.
Mine seems to like mini mags, but I never did any groups at 100 yards.

It should do better than 5-6 Moa.
if you google “CMMG 22LR accuracy test”, the common theme seems to be that different guns like different ammo, and trial and error of different brands will lead you to some grouping well and others doing what that Aquila is doing in your rifle.
If thats the best performance you get out of any ammo, it’s definitely a problem.
Mine seems to like mini mags, but I never did any groups at 100 yards.
i will reshoot it again and will compare with a new bear creek upper i just received. it has different bolt design and looks, visually, better than cmmg. dunno how it is going to shoot.

last time it was weird - i tried it at 50yds and at first it did almost a complete random spread 6 inches apart left to right, but somehow next set of 10 rounds went 0.5"-1" apart as it should - i need to check it. i suspect may be some debris were in the barrel and it finally sneezed it out. or not. visually it was clean, but, who knows.

The "bolt carrier group" of the .22lr unit does not move. The rear of the unit is a solid circular plate, with a small semi-circular cutout at the bottom to fit over the bolt retainer pin. It also has a tab at the top to prevent movement into the buffer tube The unit is blowback so the bolt moves inside the "bcg" along a guide in the inside top that is controlled by a spring.

I'd take a picture but I'm too fracking tired and just want to watch Aaron Rogers beat the chit out of Baltimore.
I have a tactical solutions and its the same concept. BUT I think it needs the buffer and retainer to “stay” in place.

Back
Top Bottom