• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buckshot & Slug Shotshell Reloading Thread

I want books on slug and buck.

any alternatives to ballistic products that ship to mass. For gas checks cork wads or anything else to throw some junk yard yeet shot shell loads?
Midway has a huge BPI section and is the loophole for their wonderful products...

Edit: Forgot to mention; If you upload a copy of your FID/LTC to Midway you will also be able to buy and have delivered much, much more... [wink]

Ballistic Products, Inc. Products at MidwayUSA

Last edited:
I'm interested, but in the next step down from buckshot ("FF").

" Shotguns: Only shot sizes up to and including FF (.230 inches diameter). Slugs, single balls and buckshot may only be used during the shotgun deer season. "

See:

So, all you reloaders, anybody want to load up some BB or FF for me for night coyote hunting in MA? I'm sure others might also be interested.

That said, is it illegal to sell reloaded ammo in MA? If one wanted to go into business making this on a small scale/volume, do you need special licenses? (guessing yes)

So, all you reloaders, anybody want to load up some BB or FF for me for night coyote hunting in MA? I'm sure others might also be interested.

That said, is it illegal to sell reloaded ammo in MA? If one wanted to go into business making this on a small scale/volume, do you need special licenses? (guessing yes)
im not sure if you need a special license to manufacture ammo per state law but Federal law yes, then of course you need your MA ammo sales license

I have not looked into it in over 12 years

I was close to FFL and town wanted a traffic impact study on my dime. I stopped there

Somebody just sent me a link. They have BB, BBB, T, F.

Now, if I could get someone to load some for me.

I think the "T" size (.20") will be about what I'm looking for. Anyone know where to find loading information, so I can then seek out someone to help me make some shells?
dont know where you are but you round up the hulls, wads, powder, lead i could walk you through loading them up on my mec 650. Not sure if can do 3" shells?

Somebody just sent me a link. They have BB, BBB, T, F.

Now, if I could get someone to load some for me.

I think the "T" size (.20") will be about what I'm looking for. Anyone know where to find loading information, so I can then seek out someone to help me make some shells?
They also sell load booklets and they have a load data section of their website specific to load types such as coyote loads and turkey loads.
Pick up a cheap Lee load all. It will pay for itself in a couple boxes of coyote loads.

They also sell load booklets and they have a load data section of their website specific to load types such as coyote loads and turkey loads.
Pick up a cheap Lee load all. It will pay for itself in a couple boxes of coyote loads.
Wow, those are only 59 bucks. What else is needed? How does one "make a recipe" for these?
I'm guessing I'd need: some sort of powder, the shot, the hull/shell, a "wad cup", and maybe something else? Any other parts for the machinery side?

Oh, mine is 2 3/4". THIS is one of the reasons I'm searching. There are store-bought options in 3". I had shoulder surgery years ago, and don't really want 3" 12ga at this point of the game.

There are some great shotgun videos online. I would suggest a basic shotgun loading manual. They can usually be found for a couple bucks at gun stores. Not much has changed in technique in the last 50 years so the old ones are fine.
When it comes to recipes BPI has manuals or like I said before they have great recipes in their load of the week section.
Here’s a coyote specific load. Ballistic Products - Shotgunner Supplies
Just match the proper hull to the proper wad, powder and primer.
If you don’t have any reloading tools at all then you will want a powder scale to check charge weights also.

Having trouble finding replacement shot lately. All my normal places are out...or $80 a bag of 7.5 looking specifically for buckshot. If anyone has a good lead. I'd appreciate a PM.

Having trouble finding replacement shot lately. All my normal places are out...or $80 a bag of 7.5 looking specifically for buckshot. If anyone has a good lead. I'd appreciate a PM.
You probably wont like the price if they have it but Outnack Arms in plympton had some random shot in the corner
Have not been ti Fat Cat Sports in Bridgewater in for ever but they always seem to have random shotgun loading stuff

Also FWIW outback arms in plympton had a used Lyman shotgun slug mold on the shelf.
IIRC it was a 500 grain “pellet gun wad curter style “ slug.

You probably wont like the price if they have it but Outnack Arms in plympton had some random shot in the corner
Have not been ti Fat Cat Sports in Bridgewater in for ever but they always seem to have random shotgun loading stuff

thanks I’ll check it out. I’ve come to accept the higher factory ammunition prices and primers etc, but taking me a while to accept the component increase.

thanks I’ll check it out. I’ve come to accept the higher factory ammunition prices and primers etc, but taking me a while to accept the component increase.
I have been looking for a 00 buck mold for some time, i found a 2 cavity .360” mold but have not dropped any to see ehat size they really drop at.
I have been looking for a buck shot wad.

Anyone have WAD recommendations for
12g 2-3/4” hull 00 buck loads
Im not using multiple seals and fiber wads.

They don't make those any more, and the ones that are for sale are as much as the more fancy ones with the levers.

That said, I did find a few interesting alternatives.

Here's one. Again though, it is $80.
12 ga "Survival Loader"

Here's another:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvIgffXg_38

THIS one looks really interesting. Somewhere between the fancy ones and the simple hand ones:
s-l1600.jpg

Also found this, but haven't looked at it yet:

Voenohot Star-Shape Shotshell Reloading Press Crimp 12 Gauge​

41vs8JoQ9QL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B07GZTXQMKView: https://www.amazon.com/Voenohot-Star-Shape-Shotshell-Reloading-Gauage/dp/B07GZTXQMK

Another option is to go with separate tools/processes instead of a kit:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6kg2C8Dv4

Back
Top Bottom