Buck Zoning ?

I am just getting into deer hunting and im a bit confused about zoning. I understand Doe permits are zone specific but can a hunter with a license in Ma take a buck in any zone? Ive shot for years but I havn't hunted since I was a teenager and am just now getting back into it in my lat 20's. I looked in the abstracts and all I could find was Doe zoning regs. Dumb question but I have to ask. Thanks for the help!

You may shoot 2 Bucks in any zone open to hunting. Your license has 2 buck tags attached.

Awesome thanks guys! I thought that was the case but better to check and look dumb rather than get screwed by DCR! Im from sterling but I applied for zone 9 then we went and got a farm in oakham. Glad I can try for some of the buck out there!

Yup, Zone dosn't matter for bucks just make sure their antlers are big enough or they will be considered antlerless (1 spike at least 3 1/2 inches long IIRC)

i asked someone the other day while i was pheasant hunting, and he said any antlers as long as it wasn't flat with the head. I'm glad I read this, because that is what I remembered from hunters ed (i took it 12 years ago, but never did any hunting until now). I even brought that up in the conversation....

Thanks guys for saving my ass!

I just looked it up in the abstracts.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Antlered deer -any deer with at least 1 antler 3 inches long measured on a straight line from the center of the anterior (front) base of the antler burr to the tip.

Last edited:
i asked someone the other day while i was pheasant hunting, and he said any antlers as long as it wasn't flat with the head. I'm glad I read this, because that is what I remembered from hunters ed (i took it 12 years ago, but never did any hunting until now). I even brought that up in the conversation....

Thanks guys for saving my ass!

I just looked it up in the abstracts.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Antlered deer -any deer with at least 1 antler 3 inches long measured on a straight line from the center of the anterior (front) base of the antler burr to the tip.

Correct, no button-bucks w/out an antlerless deer permit.

Back
Top Bottom