• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bst Source for Cast Iron cookware ?

Just a note I heard from a friend who is shopping for some cast iron cookware... A salesperson at one place told him that a lot of the import stuff (China, etc) has high lead levels. Not sure how accurate that is, or if was just salesman talk, but it's something to think about.

Just a note I heard from a friend who is shopping for some cast iron cookware... A salesperson at one place told him that a lot of the import stuff (China, etc) has high lead levels. Not sure how accurate that is, or if was just salesman talk, but it's something to think about.

Salesman is a crackhead who was thinking of the Chinese dog food he had for breakfast that morning. [laugh]

Stop and think for a moment about what you were told. Think about temps, melting points, thermodynamics, etc.[wink] Then take the lead filled cast iron and hit the salesman upside the head for going full retard on you. [laugh]

Stop and think for a moment about what you were told... Then take the lead filled cast iron and hit the salesman upside the head for going full retard on you. [laugh]

I checked into this some more out of curiosity (I've already got a set of old Griswold stuff).
Seems the salesman was thinking of enameled stuff - apparently the Chinese / Asian imports sometimes have high lead and/or cadmium levels in the glazes.

I checked into this some more out of curiosity (I've already got a set of old Griswold stuff).
Seems the salesman was thinking of enameled stuff - apparently the Chinese / Asian imports sometimes have high lead and/or cadmium levels in the glazes.

Oh, ok. Lead in the paint or glazing is plausible. May be the sales guy was not a total douche after all. [thumbsup]

Yard sales. My father collects old cast iron pans with usa #10 and usa #12 on them. He got me a really old dutch oven for 25 bucks that would easily sell to a collector for $100. It had food in it that was probably ten years old and was rusty, so I baked it full of salt, scrubbed it and seasoned it.

Looking to get maybe a cast iron Dutch Oven and a cast iron skillet or fry pan...

Any suggestions for a southern NH retail outlet, or an online Vendor with good quality items and good prices ?

I got a large skillet from Lodge when we got married. We grew up using cast iron pans. Then I decided to buy some real cast iron and shopped for used. The stuff they made 50 years ago is far superior then the stuff they make today. If you don't believe me I'd be glad to cook in both in front of you. There are many old cast iron pans that were well cared for and still cook great. Griswold made awesome pans.

whats the benefit of cast iron? Not really a Martha Stewart kind of guy so forgive me.

It's the original non-stick cookware. Easy to maintain, evenly distributes heat, cleans easy (rinse under hot water while scrubbing with brush, dry, then spray with cooking oil), lasts forever (I have one of my Grandmothers pans here) and food seems to taste better when cooked in it. I use ours every day.

Bumping this, cuz now I want a cast iron skillet and am wondering where to get a decent one.

Thanks.

Bumping this, cuz now I want a cast iron skillet and am wondering where to get a decent one.

Thanks.
Ace hardware in my AO had Lodge cast iron at a great price. Not sure if it was a one time thing or what but might check there. Perhaps Craig’s list s well? Also, cablelas/bass pro shops and Kittery Trading post and Amazon, etc

Ace hardware in my AO had Lodge cast iron at a great price. Not sure if it was a one time thing or what but might check there. Perhaps Craig’s list s well? Also, cablelas/bass pro shops and Kittery Trading post and Amazon, etc
Thanks, I guess I should have also asked about brands, are they all created equal? Or is one brand better than others? I don’t need the best, but I would like something better than run of the mill.

Hey Cuz,

I have no idea but there re one or two top name and Linge is one of them. Conversely, stay away from Chinese shit like Sum Ting wong cast iron made in harmony with the environment where environment=cobalt and lithium miners. You go green all right, you’ll glow in the dark.

Looking to get maybe a cast iron Dutch Oven and a cast iron skillet or fry pan...

Any suggestions for a southern NH retail outlet, or an online Vendor with good quality items and good prices ?
I love my Star Gazers. Lodge is okay if you are short on cash. But if you want a really nice pan and are willing to spend more, Star Gazer and Smithey are your top-of-the-line options available today. Lodge is okay, but if you put it next to one of these high-quality options, you'll use that Lodge for a boat anchor and cook on the StarGazer.

Last edited:

Thanks.
When he was very active here on NES it was @Squished . I have many pieces from him, skillets, lilds, bacon press and griddle. Love them.

However, I am staying with family over the holidays and my sister has enamel coated cast iron cookware and it is impressive. Not truly non-stick but darn close. You need to be careful not to chip, scratch or stain the enamel but they cook a mean sausage, egg and hash breakfast.
Some insight and good luck.

Laura uses both CI and CI-enamel. Here is one using CI-enamel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJqMxLdBlg

Thrift shops.. yard sales, Savers.. Goodwill.. people let their cast iron go to shit, and don't know how to properly use them or care for them.. Then donate them. They can be refurbished with a strong oven cleaner like EasyOff, then re-seasoned like new.

I wash mine with a plastic scraper, and a scotch brite pad with a drop of dish soap, using a light touch. No need to scrub vigorously if it's seasoned properly. Don't let anyone fool you.. a drop of dish soap won't kill the seasoning.

Wagner, Griswold.. are both excellent. some of those old pans have cooking surfaces smooth as glass.. Never get that out of a Lodge.

Back
Top Bottom