Bst Source for Cast Iron cookware ?

Bst Source for Cast Iron cookware ?

Looking to get maybe a cast iron Dutch Oven and a cast iron skillet or fry pan...

Any suggestions for a southern NH retail outlet, or an online Vendor with good quality items and good prices ?

I would go with something made by Lodge.

For brick-n-mortah, Tractor Supply Co sells it, and I'm reasonably certain I've seen it at Target and WallyWorld as well.

For online, I've seen it at Lehman's.

I prefer well used stuff from Yard Sales (Especailly Grsiwold) but Lodge is decent (IIRC at Wally World).

The used stuff is generally "pre-seasoned" If it's for every day use, and you want it now ( or can't get to a few estate sales) honestly, I'd hit antique shops. I find that the old griswold has a finer "granularity" ( for lack of a better term) are a bit thinner and lighter, and have the virtue of having proved themselves. If it's for a modern range, any bottom is fine - if you're planning on using it on an old-time stove, make sure that it has the "smoke ring" bottom.

If you're buying used, pick up the piece by the hamdle and tap the pan - if it goes "Ding" - good....if a dull "Clunk", it's likely cracked.

Happy cast-iron cooking.

Another vote for lodge.... Great selection and availability.... I have several of the campfire style dutch ovens (legs and recessed cover) that I got at Walmart (best price)... Also have a stovetop oven that I got directly from lodge as well as some cornbread moulds.... All have been great.....

Lodge Manufacturing

If you can't find what you are looking for locally you might also check amazon.... Prices are pretty good and be sure to get a vendor with free shipping.... These are pretty heavy and shipping can add significantly to the cost....

If you're looking to melt lead in cast iron pots buffalo arms has the best pots

I would go with something made by Lodge.

For brick-n-mortah, Tractor Supply Co sells it, and I'm reasonably certain I've seen it at Target and WallyWorld as well.

For online, I've seen it at Lehman's.

Lodge... I have a bunch of it and it is good. I buy it from Amazon with free shipping.

I prefer well used stuff from Yard Sales (Especailly Grsiwold) but Lodge is decent (IIRC at Wally World).

The used stuff is generally "pre-seasoned" If it's for every day use, and you want it now ( or can't get to a few estate sales) honestly, I'd hit antique shops. I find that the old griswold has a finer "granularity" ( for lack of a better term) are a bit thinner and lighter, and have the virtue of having proved themselves. If it's for a modern range, any bottom is fine - if you're planning on using it on an old-time stove, make sure that it has the "smoke ring" bottom.

If you're buying used, pick up the piece by the hamdle and tap the pan - if it goes "Ding" - good....if a dull "Clunk", it's likely cracked.

Happy cast-iron cooking.

I would definitly go with the flea market and older ones. The newer ones tend to have rougher surfaces, especially on the inside and generally the cheaper ones also have lots of voids.

I bought my Lodge pre-seasoned fry pan at BassPro. Later I saw it at WM for less $$.

It works great and that is all I use these days, unless it is Corning ware in the microwave.

An option if you are looking for porcelain coated is Tramontina. Rated very highly by ATK and about 1/4 the cost of the fancy French brand.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-6.5-Quart-Cast-Iron-Dutch-Oven-Red/11989387?findingMethod=rr

0001601703484_60X60.gif

Only real downside is the lid knob is not sufficiently heat resistant. Quick google search will show you how to replace with a stainless knob from the hardware store.

been posted several times but Lodge is the best IMHO, there is a factory store in TN if you ever get down that way. yard sales are great for cast iron don't be afraid of rusty stuff either you can bring them back good as new or at least close

Last edited by a moderator:
I've uses the Le Cruset (Ms.Happy likes them) and I DON'T like them. The porcelain interior is not as "bulletproof" as I'd like. The plain cast iron won't chip, and if crap gets burned on, one can take harsh measures.

as for the ebay listing...he's on drugs. I'd say that it's not even a real "set" - some have smoke rings, some don't. [laugh]

Be wary of used cast iron, unless it's obviously got a good patina from cooking. You don't want to cook in something that's been used for melting lead.

Most of my cast iron is Lodge, although some is vintage. I have Dutch ovens from Harbor Freight, which are much cheaper than brand-name.

I have some Lodge, but I am always on the lookout for vintage CI cookware at yard sales. Last year I finally found a
couple of Wagner 5 quart dutch ovens. One for three dollars and the one pictured for five dollars. The pictured one
was rusted over but it's a breeze to bring these beauties back to life. This one has the cover and the cooking insert
and the other was just the pot. I also have some Griswold pans. I was offered $25 plus shipping for the pot only one.

05_14_2011020a.jpg

You don't happen to have a cover for the five quart dutch oven and the insert, do you?

No. The dutch ovens arent as easy to find and I hang onto all I get. I am building each of my kids a set of cast iron so they will have good quality gear in the future.

Back
Top Bottom