Bruen Transforms the Gun Debate

SFC13557

NES Member

The case established a constitutional right to carry pistols in public for self-defense.​

From Today's WSJ.

"The range had a faint smell of crisped paper. “Stand like you’re going to throw a punch. Lean forward. Line up the sights,” the instructor told me. “The ‘A’ in AK-47 doesn’t stand for accuracy. OK, let it fly.” I was in Las Vegas to meet with Chuck Michel, a leading lawyer for Second Amendment advocacy groups and an old high-school friend. What happens in Vegas . . . is because machine gun ranges can’t be found in my home state, California.

I’m not a gun guy—though I’ve hunted with an Ithaca shotgun and even shot a .357 Magnum—but I respect the Second Amendment right to own a firearm. Still, I’m horrified and saddened by every mass shooting that lights up national headlines. Other shootings are rarely mentioned, like the 29 shot, eight fatally, in Chicago on the last weekend of June. And most other weekends.

Next up was a belt-fed gas-operated M240 Bravo machine gun. “This is what Biden left behind in Afghanistan,” the instructor noted. Finally, he handed me a semiautomatic AR-15, often called an “assault weapon.” Mr. Michel explained, “Pistols with magazines are also semiautomatic. AR-15s are labeled assault weapons because of scary cosmetic features, a muzzle brake or flash suppressor or a collapsible stock, even though ARs have similar stopping power as many other firearms.” It was very slow shooting compared with the machine guns, though I still don’t understand why you would want to own one.

Well, because gun rights are individual rights. In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Supreme Court upheld gun ownership for self-defense in the home. New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen (2022) upheld the right to carry pistols outside the home for self-defense, striking down “may-issue” licensing systems that required a “proper cause” or “special need” to carry firearms.

Now all states must allow open or concealed carry—“shall-issue” licensing. I don’t care if you love guns or hate guns; this is the new reality for individual rights. “This was a hard reset,” Mr. Michel says. “Gun laws passed pre-Bruen are all subject to relitigation. It’s legal vs. policy.”

It also guarantees full employment for gun-advocacy lawyers. “Since Bruen, gun-reform groups, often funded by Bloomberg and Soros, are going state to state to pass laws with restrictions on people, places and gun types.” Mr. Michel says. But there is now a Bruen test, as written in the ruling, to “assess whether modern firearms regulations are consistent with the Second Amendment’s text and historical understanding.” Mr. Michel sums the test up: “Was there anything in existence in 1791 that would indicate the founders would have tolerated these kinds of laws or restrictions?”

As far as restrictions on gun types, you may be thinking there were no magazines or machine guns in 1791. But guns were more advanced than many assume—innovations like Kentucky Long Rifles helped win the Revolutionary War. Mr. Michel says some courts have suggested drawing a line between automatic and semiautomatic. He thinks that restrictions on common-use semiautomatic firearms don’t pass the Bruen test. We’ll see.

Bruen does note historic gun restrictions for “sensitive places” like government buildings but it specifically says you can’t declare the entire island of Manhattan a sensitive place. I was surprised at Mr. Michel’s answer when I asked about the old line “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” He said many gun advocates aren’t opposed to mental-health screenings, but other restrictions, such as restraining orders, should allow for individual due process. Gun reformers should exploit this, and even strengthen the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

I asked Mr. Michel how to stop mass shootings in schools and elsewhere. “What law are you going to pass to stop someone? Gun-free zones? They don’t work. Gun bans? Same.” Chicago’s strict gun ordinances obviously don’t help its gun-crime problem.

Mr. Michel says, “States with more-liberal carry laws have lower gun violence.” I’ve seen studies both ways. “Here’s why. Maybe 5% of citizens get carry licenses. No one would go duck hunting if 5% of the ducks could shoot back.” Good gun owners deter bad ones. We saw this in the 2020 Texas church shooting, stopped short by a lawful gun-carrying citizen.

I asked why the left has such an intense focus on gun control. He answered, “They want to wipe out gun ownership in a generation. There’s a growing movement to reshape society by restricting individual freedoms.” No kidding. DEI. ESG. Defund the police. Woke cancelings. Mr. Michel notes, “Guns are the last obstacle to social engineering.” Food for thought.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, perhaps knowing he’ll lose gun arguments in courts, has quixotically proposed a constitutional amendment with gun restrictions. Post-Bruen, that’s probably the only way to do it. Until then, I suspect sensible laws that screen buyers, rather than places or gun types, have the best chance to be effective."

Write to [email protected].

Or? It needs to be taught and understood as the writers intended. Plenty of people don’t get that… even here. I read statist posts here every day that would have Madison spinning in his grave.

This…..

And it should be read aloud at the beginning of each session of congress to remind our Senators and Congressmen, and women, what they were sworn to uphold when they assumed their office. The same should happen at the state level with the state constitution.

Bob

Or? It needs to be taught and understood as the writers intended. Plenty of people don’t get that… even here. I read statist posts here every day that would have Madison spinning in his grave.
This is the issue.

I was born in 80. I never had a civics class during my public education (4 yr HS trade).

I am lucky as I was involved in the Cub and Boy Scouts during my elementary and grade school years. My father opened a business in the early 90's. I was shown how great this country could be, and what our Constitution and Bill of Rights meant. How those documents acknowledged as our freedoms.

I would not have the sense of patriotism and understanding of our Forefathers if it was not for my family and the Cub and Boy Scout troop I belonged to (#147). I was lucky.

The public education system has worked flawlessly in denying the US population the understandings of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Their plan is working perfectly and we allowed it. Yuri Bezmenov warned us many years ago.

This is the issue.

I was born in 80. I never had a civics class during my public education (4 yr HS trade).

I am lucky as I was involved in the Cub and Boy Scouts during my elementary and grade school years. My father opened a business in the early 90's. I was shown how great this country could be, and what our Constitution and Bill of Rights meant. How those documents acknowledged as our freedoms.

I would not have the sense of patriotism and understanding of our Forefathers if it was not for my family and the Cub and Boy Scout troop I belonged to (#147). I was lucky.

The public education system has worked flawlessly in denying the US population the understandings of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Their plan is working perfectly and we allowed it. Yuri Bezmenov warned us many years ago.

'75 here. I had a good Constitution class, but it was in the seventh grade and that's a long, long time ago. Then AP history had a bit more, but it was rushed.

You'd need to require a civics class. Parents usually have a problem with that. They're the ones we need to convince. I can speak for my department, where I teach: we give six full weeks to the Constitution in the eleventh grade. Kids have ample opportunity to learn it, and most do. But some just don't care, the same way I didn't care about algebra: it's just not their "thing."

And, again, even folks who say they know a lot about the Constitution often don't. Anyone here, for example, posting in favor of making it easier for .gov to do anything does not understand that document, in its essence. Its entire purpose is to stand in the government's way.

Anyone here, for example, posting in favor of making it easier for .gov to do anything does not understand that document, in its essence. Its entire purpose is to stand in the government's way.
This can't be overstated.

We wrote a set of rules, telling our nascent government what it can do. "This is the game of  Government, and how it must be played."

A couple years later, we came back with some specific prohibitions. "Here's the first round of errata; in case we weren't clear, you must never do these things."

And yet, here we are, with growing refrains of whataboutisms excused because the other team won't internalize their responsibilities either.

What's the point in of all of this? The supreme court could come out with the harshest language ever and it wouldn't stop the gun banners. At some point I think we just need a nod and a wink and every one goes around in public with ARs and handguns. If stopped by a cop then every other person armed in the area surrounds the cops for the first wrong move. I don't see any way out of this by trying to cooperate and negotiate with people who simply won't negotiate. They simply don't care about the law or the constitution says. The left goes around screaming "rule of law" and so scotus gives them the 'rule of law' and they just say resist and ignore. So again what's the point in all of this? If I obey the law and the next guy can ignore the 'rule of law' then why have any laws at all? Let's just jump straight to the purge and get it over with. All I see on twitter are democrat members of congress saying 'scotus is illegitimate and therefore we should ignore any of their decisions'. This is not some rando blowhard in his/her basement, these are real members of congress. Okay so if they can ignore scotus then so can I if the court ever shifted in the other direction. Our entire way of life is starting to look more and more like complete horsesh*t.

What's the point in of all of this? The supreme court could come out with the harshest language ever and it wouldn't stop the gun banners. At some point I think we just need a nod and a wink and every one goes around in public with ARs and handguns. If stopped by a cop then every other person armed in the area surrounds the cops for the first wrong move. I don't see any way out of this by trying to cooperate and negotiate with people who simply won't negotiate. They simply don't care about the law or the constitution says. The left goes around screaming "rule of law" and so scotus gives them the 'rule of law' and they just say resist and ignore. So again what's the point in all of this? If I obey the law and the next guy can ignore the 'rule of law' then why have any laws at all? Let's just jump straight to the purge and get it over with. All I see on twitter are democrat members of congress saying 'scotus is illegitimate and therefore we should ignore any of their decisions'. This is not some rando blowhard in his/her basement, these are real members of congress. Okay so if they can ignore scotus then so can I if the court ever shifted in the other direction. Our entire way of life is starting to look more and more like complete horsesh*t.
Could not agree more. Very well stated!

The parents actually have a problem with a Civics class?

The parents have a problem with any class that tends to require their Precious Darling Overachiever (PDO) to share a classroom with the Great Unwashed.

The issue (where I teach, anyhow) is that required courses can't be honors or AP or IB or accelerated or whatever, so the grades you get in them are not weighted in such a way that they significantly improve GPA. And Mom and Dad want PDO to get at least a 4.7 or so. So? They fight against required courses, regardless of what they are. Meanwhile, PDO will complain because she/he are in a class with underachievers. Lastly, many PDOs are STEM kids, and have zero time or inclination to learn about social studies; PDO cannot POSSIBLY get into MIT without overloading their physics credits.

The parents won't have it. We've tried before, many times, and parents have sunk every required course we've tried to develop. Not every parent is an elitist. But every elitist parent is loud, and does not shy away from calling the superintendent to complain.

Captures my attitude perfectly.

The parents have a problem with any class that tends to require their Precious Darling Overachiever (PDO) to share a classroom with the Great Unwashed.

The issue (where I teach, anyhow) is that required courses can't be honors or AP or IB or accelerated or whatever, so the grades you get in them are not weighted in such a way that they significantly improve GPA. And Mom and Dad want PDO to get at least a 4.7 or so. So? They fight against required courses, regardless of what they are. Meanwhile, PDO will complain because she/he are in a class with underachievers. Lastly, many PDOs are STEM kids, and have zero time or inclination to learn about social studies; PDO cannot POSSIBLY get into MIT without overloading their physics credits.

The parents won't have it. We've tried before, many times, and parents have sunk every required course we've tried to develop. Not every parent is an elitist. But every elitist parent is loud, and does not shy away from calling the superintendent to complain.
I know you're right because I saw it in my own class. And I know that I'm (again) an outlier as a STEM kid who has always liked humanities, too.

But I hate everything in your post, and (for whatever reason) feel like sharing.

Our Republican Town Committee hands out pocket Constitutions everywhere. Some people think we’re radical but we just keep doing it. It’s the most potent weapon we have. Most people accept them gratefully.
The people that know it already accept them, the people that have never read it will take it and toss it.

The people that know it already accept them, the people that have never read it will take it and toss it.
I couldn’t look myself in the eye if I didn’t fight with everything at my disposal. We’ve still got the soap box. The ballot box is corrupt as hell. I don’t want to reach for the cartridge box.

We’ve still got the soap box.
For all intents and purposes, no. No we don't.

The modern soapbox:

social-media-logos-facebook-twitter-instagram-youtube-flickr-vector-pg-transparent-background-high-resolution-social-media-logos-203118723.jpg

'75 here. I had a good Constitution class, but it was in the seventh grade and that's a long, long time ago. Then AP history had a bit more, but it was rushed.

You'd need to require a civics class. Parents usually have a problem with that. They're the ones we need to convince. I can speak for my department, where I teach: we give six full weeks to the Constitution in the eleventh grade. Kids have ample opportunity to learn it, and most do. But some just don't care, the same way I didn't care about algebra: it's just not their "thing."

And, again, even folks who say they know a lot about the Constitution often don't. Anyone here, for example, posting in favor of making it easier for .gov to do anything does not understand that document, in its essence. Its entire purpose is to stand in the government's way.
I immigrated here so had no US schooling at all.

I educated myself on world history, including what has caused the worst atrocities in human history and what the US founders built into the US Constitution to try to protect against it here.

More enlightening than what the 2nd Amendment says is actually what the US founders said about the 2nd Amendment and its criticality to maintaining freedom from tyranny.

I would argue that every student should be taught to think for themselves. To question what they are told, by anyone. To do their own research. To ask WHY —

Why were 100M men, women and children murdered by their own governments in the 20th century alone

Why do we think that cannot happen here?

Why are there people who seek to blind Americans to this possible reality, to history itself and the lessons it teaches, and are they ultimately the greatest threat to freedom for our children?

One answer might be to pump up the curriculum and offer it in Honors. Obviously, AP would require a test to be available (I would guess).

Civics was a Junior year class in 1970s Iowa. A kid could legally drop out of school after 10th grade, with parental permission, so I assumed the many day-to-day hallway faces went away when they dropped out. But 2nd semester Junior year, I saw them all again in Civics once a week.

Our HS was regional - our very white town and the very white farm towns on the Mississippi black dirt plains. HS has a “distributed ed” component 11th/12th grade where kids could come in M/W/F mornings for what would be called today vocational training, then work at selected internship companies - basically, any company willing to hire the kids and guarantee M/W/F mornings off. If you worked on your family farm, you had to get paid and have a saving account to show the teachers - part of the personal finance management learning. Farmer groused about paying taxes and their kids but did it to get the a HS degree. The goal was to get everyone a HS degree.

The Civics teacher partnered all ”full time” students with those in DisEd, to help them pass the P/F Civics class. My partner was a really nice girl with a “burnout/greaser” boyfriend (a self-identified 50s thing like Goth is/was); she worked at a fabric/sewing shop. Zero interest in school, but everything a good person should be otherwise. She passed, kissed my cheek and I never saw her again. Her BF was sent to the so-called Delinquents School - a detention center with forced labor - for multiple, frequent minor crimes. I hope she did better.

One answer might be to pump up the curriculum and offer it in Honors. Obviously, AP would require a test to be available (I would guess).

No can do. Required courses have to be unleveled at my skool, and although there’s an AP US Government course, it’s a notoriously difficult exam. And enrollment tends to struggle; Junior prefers to take AP courses with less challenging exams.

Remember, most of my school’s high achievers are STEM types with no room on their schedule for a humanities elective. It’s a systemic problem in my district because math has more levels and greater GPA weight from middle school on.

Devil’s in the details. It’s easy to say, “oh, just force kids to take civics!” but there are reasons why they don’t already.

ETA: The state has imposed a “civics project” requirement for all graduates, too, meaning there’s now another excuse not to offer a required course.

One thing to remember, ALWAYS, about public education in the 21st century: the loudest parents DO NOT want their child to be “educated.” They want their child to be valedictorian.

Any required course is always going to butt up against that. It usually takes a state mandate to get them to shut up, and who wants the state mandating anything?

Back
Top Bottom