Browning Auto 5 Question

glockstar

NES Member
So a friend of mine who just inherited a brownig auto 5 called me up tonight, he was cleaning his new gun getting ready for deer season and asked me why when he applied preasure to the top of the barrell did the barrell move backwards, not having alot of experience with semi-auto shotguns I couldn't answer this question. I figured with the wealth of knowledge on this forum and being a popular desighn you folks could help me out with this. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

The A5 has a couple of quirks:

First, if it's a 16 ga, it may have a 2 9/16" chamber (commonly called a "short chamber") Use of 2 3/4" ammo can be dangersous. If it's a 16, check it out!

Second, the magazine tube is an integral part of the gun, WRT functioning. There is a brass friction ring that rides on the mag tube, and in conjunction with the bevel on the back of the ring attached to the barrel, and the beveled washer, controls the speed of the barrel and bolt in recoil. The mag tube should NOT be lubricated. If it is, it will have too little friction. This is very uncomfortable.

There are a good number of Browinig resources on the web. They're tough guns - mine pre-dates WWII and I use it for trap. I have the recoil mechanism set for "heavy" loads, and with light target loads, most shells don't eject (don't have to pick them up) and there's almost no recoil.

Also, where it's an inheritance, the older guns tend to pattern more tightly, as they were engineered for shot loads without plastic shot cups - it's not a defect, just an observation.

good shooting

Back
Top Bottom