Broken glock mags - please help

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums - a good friend suggested I post here for some advice. I am hoping some of the fine people here can help me out with my situation.

Back in the early 90s (I could check the original sales receipt thats in the safe for the exact date) I bought a Glock 17. It is a first gen frame and came with a pair of first gen NFML mags. This has been my daily carry piece for many years and I have always been happy with it. Recently however I have run into serious trouble with my mags.

Both of the mags have developed a very significant crack down the front of the mag body. When they are loaded with more than 12-13 rounds the spring pressure causes the crack to gape open in a very disturbing manner. I am afraid to load them any further for fear that the mags will fail catastrophically. I feel that I can no longer depend on these mags and trust my life to them.

The first mag developed the crack in January, the second this last weekend at the range.

So seeing as I am a Mass resident I know that pre-ban hi-caps can be found if you look hard enough but I have been searching the shops in Mass for replacements since January and have come up empty.

So my first question is does anyone know of anyplace that actually has pre-ban hi-caps? Have I just been frequenting the wrong shops? I have been stopping at Four Seasons, Collectors Gun Gallery and Frank & Tiny's about once a week with no luck. IMHO these are some of the best shops within reasonable distance to me but the closest I got was at Collector's when He said "ooo if only you had been in a few days ago." I have seen lots of .40 mags but nothing that will fit my 17.

My second question is has anyone had direct experience with Glock customer service on this issue? I have heard that their service is great but I also saw this thread http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33128&page=2 which seems to imply that they may not ship hi-caps back to Mass. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks!

i have my Glock armorer's order list right in front me of me. unfortunately you can not order new mag bodys. you can order any other part of the mag however.

luckily, high cap mags are still somewhat easy to find. i would expect you to pay 35-40 per mag for a replacement high cap mag.

If you frequently check AR15.com and Glock Talk you will find them for sale.

I have seen G17 pre-bans come up for sale about once a week on those forums.

I am pretty sure that if you send them back to Glock they will send you new mags- albeit post-ban 10 rounders. If they do send you current high caps with the ambi notch, it would be a felony to possess them in Mass.

look on ar15.com or glocktalk.com. post a wtb thread and you should get something for 20 to 30 bucks.

Glock isnt going to help you with the broken mags.

Well, I would put a WTB ad here on NES... and the same at AR15.com and Glocktalk.com (or just cruise around in their classifieds). Like everyone's mentioned... you'll find G17 preban high caps in no time.

Call Rob at Gun and Sport North. 978-689-2722 he might be able to help either with repair parts or locating mags.

You should also be able to score some at the gun shows in September, in MA or NH. Just be careful that they are pre-ban.

Glocktalk.com is the place to go.

I was looking for some G22 preban mags. a few years ago and a guy emailed and said there's a huge gun show in his area that weekend that he was working at and he'd be happy to help me out. I emailed him my cell. number and that weekend he called me and asked "How many I wanted....at $12.00 each!" I was tight on funds at the time so I could only buy 6 mags.

A few days later after I paid him the mags. arrived, not brand new of course, but decent prebans. I then sent them to Glock and they rebuilt them for me no charge! [smile]

When I had my G19, I was at the outdoor range one frigid day in January. After firing a mag, I placed the pre-ban 15-rounder on the bench and heard a "snap". I looked at it and a crack had developed at the rear of the mag that ran through the center of the peep holes.

I brought it to the Powderhorn and Marc got me a free replacement pre-ban. Not sure how he swung that, but I wasn't about to question it!

If you call Glock Tech Supt, you might be surprised what they are willing to do to help those behind enemy lines!

Give it a try, just be polite.

Back
Top Bottom