Brass catchers questions.

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
I've seen some rifles and hand guns you can mount a brass catcher to them.
I plan to start reloading soon so I want to start saving more . My ar piston upper spits the brass out crazy far and they go missing on me alot .

Do you have to worry about them jamming the rifle out . Figure with the brass bounce around it could cause problems .

I got a cheap Caldwell one from amazon that Velcro's around the front handguard, was around $10-12.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've seen some rifles and hand guns you can mount a brass catcher to them.
I plan to start reloading soon so I want to start saving more . My ar piston upper spits the brass out crazy far and they go missing on me alot .

Do you have to worry about them jamming the rifle out . Figure with the brass bounce around it could cause problems .

I would.

I saw one (on an AR) that jammed the shooters rifle with wonderful consistency.

Picked one up (UTG) and tried it out on Monday. No jams from it, but it also didn't catch all the brass. Could be, in part, due to how I have the iron sights on my AR (on 45 degree mounts). Plan on trying it out again on Friday to see if I can get it to catch more brass. Still, even if it only catches 50% of the brass, most of the rest didn't go very far (from what I recall).

i think i'm gonna pick one up mainly to not hit people shooting next to me at the range.

i think i'm gonna pick one up mainly to not hit people shooting next to me at the range.

I got one so that when I'm at the GPP I don't have to worry (as much) about finding my brass. Not knowing how much distance will be between shooters, it could get tricky.

At the nes shoot I went to , I didn't really see any one collecting brass . They have you shoot in groups one mag then you wait for every one to finish then you get off the line . I think they'd rather have people keep shooting then taking breaks after every group for people to hunt down there brass.

I have one I use for catching brass when I'm shooting new reloads so I don't have to hunt the brass down. It will cause jams if allowed to overfill. Mines good for two mags, then you have to empty it.

e9ejy7as.jpg
I've seen nets people set up on tables before . Just found this looking for ideas lol.

they have 1 that stands up next to you kinda like a big net on a poll I was thinking about trying it out but it seems like you would have to kinda guess as to where to put it to catch the brass

I have one of these for my A2 rifle. AR-15 / M16 Brass Deflector - AR-15 Accessories - Parts & Accessories | Creedmoor Sports Works fine dumps the brass just forward and down. No jams..I do shoot lefty and they sometimes land on my arm.....
You should be allowed to police your brass between stages of shoots. There are times when this can be a hassle. Some ranges have thick grass.
As far as pelting other shooters with brass. I feel this is par for the course along with muzzle device. You really cant get mad at someone who is shooting next to you if the brass hits you....can you?

3bucc is the way to go. Will take over 90 rounds before it needs to be emptied.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I have thought about them as well but from what i found they only hold 20-30 casings so I would need to empty it with every mag and that sounds tiring. My AR is pretty consistant with where the casing s land so I just place a box in the sweet spot and catch about 75% of them.

You can try mine at the GPPV and if it doesn't catch three mags worth (90), it will be the first time.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

3bucc is the way to go. Will take over 90 rounds before it needs to be emptied.

+1 for 3Bucc.

You can buy extra mounting blocks from the manufacturer so you can use one catcher on multiple uppers without moving the mounting blocks back and forth (which would require removing optics). Very well made (in USA), velcro at the bottom for easy emptying, goes on/off easily.

My AR used to throw brass a long way and hard to the rear, denting it badly in the process. I removed the ejector and ejector spring, got a
new ejector spring and ground a few coils off it. Now it throws 6-8 feet in a nice pile at 4 o'clock.

Real easy and cheap to do and undo if you don't like it. Google for instructions on how to choose spring length.

I also sometimes use a catch and release fishing net.

I've used the cheap velcro on; they're ok, but a 3 Bucc Inc. catcher works best, if you can find a mount that will work with your setup. I use one on a 50 Beowulf, and it works great.

This one is free standing and seems better than something that gets mounted on your pistol

Graco Models

I use a similar one from CMM Shooting Supplies
It is more money but is very well made and catches everything that I throw at it. I spend more time shooting and less time picking up brass, plus my brass is in better shape for never having hit the ground.

Back
Top Bottom