Brass Catch

Not sure if in the right section, could be here or equipment, but was wondering how the forum members deal with their brass when at the range. Not in terms of collecting so much but catching at ejection so your flying brass doesn't hit the shooter next to you. I know they make a brass catcher but do any of you use one of those? I was shooting the SIG556 on Saturday and it was chucking brass at least 4 lanes down. Luckily I was the only one there. Thanks

I use the 3bucc catcher on my AR. That thing flings the brass quite a ways, so both for collection and keeping the neighboring shooters happy it's not a bad accessory. Can empty two 30 round mags without any issues. It's supposed to hold more, but I've never pushed it. While you are shooting, it's out of the way, so it's never been an issue.

If you are a lefty, it might get in the way, but I doubt it.

Only real safety concern is that you can not verify the bolt is back and the gun is clear with it in place. I use a safety block - a big bright orange hunk of plastic that inserts in the magwell and prevents the bolt from closing. It can not be inserted if the bolt is closed. Be sure to check with the range officer on duty because of this

Last edited:
I just received the 3Bucc brass catcher for Carryhandle AR's. They make one for flattop as well. I've yet to shoot with it. Unless time and ambition occur sooner it's debut will be at the NES shoot in Mansfield.

I bought this as a result of a group buy done here and the high reviews the catcher received.

ETA Chris posted while I was typing.

I use the 3BUcc brass catcher from the group buy on NES. Works very well with about a 95% or greater "catch rate." Doesn't interfere with the rifles at all. A godsend if you reload your brass.

I am in the process of trying to make one for my AR. All the commercial ones seemed a bit expensive and it's certainly not an overly complex piece of equipment. Hopefully I will have it ready for the Mansfield shoot. Another approach is to make a free standing one, basically a large fishing net type catcher on some kind of stand. This would work for any firearm. handgun or rifle and could hold more brass and not interfere at all with the fiream's operation. This will be my next project.

I know there are already several of this type available, but, again, they are a bit pricey. If I had the money, I would probably buy the commercial versions, but I don't, plus, I like making things anyway. If any of my home made devices work I would gladly share info on what materials I used and how I made it.

Thanks guys. What's the price on the 3Bucc unit? Can't seem to locate it on their page. Also, has anyone tried the one from Midway USA?

Edit, found price for the 3Bucc on Brownells.

Last edited:
Get on the far right station. Explain that "this thing throws hot brass up to four stations to the right". People are more than willing to give you the far right station.

Back
Top Bottom