• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brand New Bannerman Conversion, 30-06 Mosin Nagant M91 - Literally New

Following the contract to continue production of the Mosin Nagant Model 1891 at Remington Arms and New England Westingouse, the U.S. Government sold a number of the rifles to the military surplus arms company founded by Francis Bannerman VI. Following Bannerman's death in 1918, his sons retained the business and began remarketing strategies for the M91 during the 1920's.

Many of these guns were converted to cal. 30-06 to cater to the U.S. sporting arms market. For this conversion, the chamber end of the barrel was cut back by approximately .75 inch, and a new chamber was reamed. The original serial number was thus eliminated from the barrel. The barrel shroud was also stamped "cal. 30.'06". The magazine was also expanded in width by flattening the side ribs of the housing, thus exposing a gap when viewing at the floorplate.

Most of the sporters had the barrel cut to about 21.5 inches, the stock cut at the front shoulder, and the bolt handle turned down. The bolt head was machined to accept the rimless cartridge with an altered extractor, and a black finish was applied to the head. A new front sight needed to be incorporated, but the rear sight remained original, with no alteration of the graduations. A general concurrence among collectors is that the Bannerman conversion should not be fired with full pressure loads, but many do shoot them with a lighter powder load.

One rarely found version of this sporting conversion is cut back only at the chamber end, and the 30.75 inch barrel retains the original front sight and crown. Whether these were intended to be marketed to the American sportsman, or for a possible military application, would be unknown. The version that is presented today is virtually new, just the way it was when constructed at the facility on Bannerman Island.

This one features a stock from a New England Westinghouse, and has the English Contract cartouche. Additionally, the U.S. Ordnance Flaming Bomb is in front of the magazine tang, and a lightly struck Eagle inspection cartouche is behind the trigger guard. It is fitted with a rear barrel band with what appears to be a stamp for an Argentine Mauser (?), and an unknown front barrel band. The handguard is not incorporated, and the head is cut from the cleaning rod.

I wish I could take pictures that could do this gun justice. So, you'll have to live with my cheap photos, and take it on my word. This thing is one gorgeous gun, even though it has been altered from its original military configuration.

Please enjoy, and thanks for looking.

RemBannerman_001.jpg

RemBannerman_003.jpg

RemBannerman_005.jpg

RemBannerman_007.jpg

RemBannerman_008.jpg

RemBannerman_013.jpg

RemBannerman_015.jpg

RemBannerman_021.jpg

RemBannerman_022.jpg

RemBannerman_024.jpg

RemBannerman_023.jpg

RemBannerman_025.jpg

RemBannerman_027.jpg

RemBannerman_028.jpg

RemBannerman_030.jpg

RemBannerman_036.jpg

RemBannerman_037.jpg

RemBannerman_038.jpg

MonopodandRem_009.jpg

MonopodandRem_011.jpg

MonopodandRem_012.jpg

MonopodandRem_013.jpg

MonopodandRem_015.jpg

MonopodandRem_016.jpg

MonopodandRem_017.jpg

MonopodandRem_020.jpg

MonopodandRem_024.jpg

MonopodandRem_019.jpg

RemBannerman_001.jpg

RemBannerman_033.jpg

RemBannerman_031.jpg

RemBannerman_032.jpg

You're making my head hurt! Too many variations! A sad, but historical early end to a MilSurp. Wall hanger or shooter?

T

[bow]

You're making my head hurt! Too many variations! A sad, but historical early end to a MilSurp. Wall hanger or shooter?

T

[bow]

Doubt I'll ever shoot it.

The conversions are a collectible variation unto themselves. Many Mosin collectors will place one in the vault if it becomes available. Most are quite well used, and the short rifle version is the one usually found.

This is the only one I've ever seen that appears lightly used, or even unfired, since it was converted.

Last edited:
Of all the rifles you've gotten over the years, this one is the one I would own.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom